OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

beginner interested in reloading

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 18:55
I have rethought this post many times.

I might suggest a self indexing press (don't know if this is not considered progressive since you have to move it with your finger yourself).

I might suggest the Hornady Lock N Load.

you can get on sale for $350 around CHRISTmas.

I might suggest (but it is big $$$ the RL550B by dillon.

You should be able to get for $359-389 from Dealer.

The first cost less per set-up or caliber.  You just twist in and your good

The Dillon gets pricey with different tool heads.  You have to swap out the whole head, vs. just twist in your lock n load dies.
No one
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 20:57
My first reloading press was a Dillon 550, an awesome press. When I moved to Alaska I needed a lot of .44 for practice to qualify for carrying a bear gun at work. I was appalled at the 17 dollar a box, local price, for Blazer 44 special! (remember those days?)

In retrospect, I would have bought a single stage kit with my very first centerfire firearm purchase. I would have saved a bundle, even as cheap as ammo was years ago. And, it would have made the learning curve less intimidating. I am pretty good with mechanical things and figured it out, sans internet videos, or knowledgeable friends, just stumbled through with my manuals and the VHS videotape from Dillon.

------------------------------------------------------
The Lee kit has everything you need except dies and a good caliper. Lee Deluxe 4 die carbide set is as good as anything for handgun. But shop around, other brands may be competitive in price. I have dies from all the major brands. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is unique and valuable for auto cartridges, like 9mm, but totally unnecessary for straight walled cases like 38 special. I use a Lee FCD with my Dillon dies for auto cartridges, purchased extra. It gives the case one last squeeze to make sure everything is within spec.

Calipers aren't absolutely necessary, but an important safety check for OAL, since you are just starting out. You'll need them later if you get into rifle reloading anyway. Fancy dies are nice, they give you more control eliminating variables, when you get into precision rifle reloading.

I'm not familiar with current online resources for a new reloader, I'd have to google it up. You might as well do that.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 06:09
Sidebar...

Hey Slap, I am guessing someone took care of you concerning the fisher pen.  IF NOT pm ME.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 06:32
what is the difference between the Lee anniversary  kit  vs lee standard kit. other than the $10. Which should i get? So i need a caliper.  dies. and data books. What would be agood caliper  and die set for 9mm and 223? Carbite is what what i want, correct? I will not use the 223 one for a while I will do 9mm loading for a bit then a move onto rifle rounds.  I understand that progressive presses are alot better for turning out alot of rounds an hour. Right now i just want to get it down. I figured for now I will use the single stage then later on  might get a progressive for handgun rounds and just use the single stage for match rifle rounds. I am on a strict budget,, which is why i am getting into reloading.  So i need to be reasonable on my prices but i dont want something that i will regret when i could have just spend extra 5 for 10 dollars and got something alot better.
Thanks for your alls pateince.  Wont i need some sort of tumbler or some way to clean the brass?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 07:06
Here is about as good of an no nonsense explanation I have come across.

I hope this helps some people getting started.

Taken from another thread a while back.
Gerald Baker
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 08:03
On the Lee kits....one has the primer feed system that attaches to the press.  The other has a handheld primer press.  I like the handheld primer press best.  You can sit and watch TV or sit on your deck and press primers

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 08:19
it says one has the auto primer xr and th other has a lee safety primer,  which one allows you to do it by hand?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 08:26

Auto primer XR is the hand held model,stork.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 08:55
Beat me to it Earl.  This is the older version of auto-primer

This is the new version

--Thomas Jefferson

richhelton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richhelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 09:09

I do not care for the Lee press mounted primer. Used it for a while and got sick of it quickly. I snagged a RCBS Universal hand primer (no shellholders needed) for cheap and I think it is one of the best purchases I have made for reloading.

I haven't used the Lee types for hand priming, but don't they use different shellholders than are used on the press itself?

Your limits are self-imposed by what you let your mind believe
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 09:20

They use there own type shellholder.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 11:46
Originally posted by richhelton richhelton wrote:

I do not care for the Lee press mounted primer. Used it for a while and got sick of it quickly. I snagged a RCBS Universal hand primer (no shellholders needed) for cheap and I think it is one of the best purchases I have made for reloading.

I haven't used the Lee types for hand priming, but don't they use different shellholders than are used on the press itself?

I got the same RCBS hand primer.  One of my best purchases, also.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 12:35
Thanks I def like the idea of the hand primer.
Which caliper would you recommend  RCBS maybe, dial or electronic? 

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 12:45

I've got both types but use the digital (elec.) all the time.  Same with scales.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 12:49
varget is a great all around powder, i use it in 223, 308, 45-70. all sub moa loads. i use hornady bullets, cause they're a lot cheaper than the others, and shoot great.

varget does tend to shoot a little dirty, but i haven't had any malfunctions due to it. and i don't clean very often
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 12:59

is there any difference in quality of the Dies, what 9mm dies should I get? I am shooting glock so i feel be best to just shoot jacketed round nose bullets.  I hate to keep badgering you all but what would be a good start load, such as bullets(brand)/type), powder(brand/how much), primers, brass? How many times can the brass be reloaded? What are good places to buy componets?

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 13:15
I had a press-mounted primer seater and hated it...ruined a few primers and seated some upside down, so I had to ruin them and risk setting one off. I got the Lee handheld, which interestingly Sinclair recommended as next best if you don't want to spring for their fancy one. I have had no problems with it.
Reaction time is a factor...
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 15:31
there's a difference, but i'd say the only way you'll see a difference is if you shoot BR. i use lee pacesetter's and they do great
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 16:30
I have not followed this extremely well.

I would say as has been suggested the lee dies (complete die set) are just fine for pistol, I have also used them for rifle but have gone to the X-Dies.

I agree you will get plently of life just sticking to Lee that said I do have some Forster, Redding, RCBS, Dillon, Huntingtons, etc...

Carbides are fine they work well.

The hand grenade pistol primer I have never had any issue with but have heard stories.

I am getting excited for you, It was only a few years ago I started reloading...If I had a counter I am sure it would read 99999 and need to be reset...

It is one of the most pleasurable things to do.

1/2 MOA on .223.

Common I load some 55gr's down to 2750 my wife gets 1/4MOA out of them...

On the 550 w/ Auto Powder Drop mind you deviation is less than 20FPS which at 100 is not 1/8"...

I don't even know if a 5.56 or .223 is even completely (Brian Lutz) stable at 100YRDS it might tighten at 125-150...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/12/2011 at 16:31
No one
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 07:29
I did some more research on the lee. Every seems to be decent about it, except alot of people said the powder despenser and scale were pretty crappy. Is this that a common thing problem with them. That kinda makes me iffy, woudl i need a better scale and measurer, how much would that cost?

After adding a few things what i figured might be esseinals this is looking to be real expensve real fast. now how many rounds would i have to start coming out ahead? Cause local walmart sells federal 100 rounds of 9mm115fmjs for  about $22-23 with tax

Flip top ammo boxes 50 round capacity                        $1.39

9mm reloading tray                                                     $5.99

Lee carbite 9mm dies                                                 $27.99

RCBS  caliper                                                            $63.99

RCBS tumbler                                                           $81.99    

Walnut 5LB media                                                     $18.29

Hornady  reloading book                                             $29.99

Rcbs hand priming tool                                               $56.99

Lee anniversary kit                                                      $89.99
+Powder,primers, bullets,                                             XXXXX
                                                                              =ALOT
As far as 223 ammo goes,, i could buy most my stuff from CMP but the  main reason id reload 223 is for the 600 yard line.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic