OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The 99%???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 99%???
    Posted: October/10/2011 at 05:35
Uh....some of you smart folks on this forum try and help this old, former Iowa farm boy understand the intent of the protester's that have "taken over" NY's Wall Street.  
From what I have heard them say and have read, they are highly pissed with Wall Street, banks and "corporate greed", as they call it, in general. I see signs in the mob that say "Profits Over People". 

OK....I'm watching Fox New's this AM at 0515 EST and Geraldo was on location, (I guess yesterday) and talking with some of these folks. 
Some of these yahoo's have been protesting down there since 15 September or so, and could use a shower and a shave. But, what struck me the most was that some of these people claimed that they had lost their homes, accumulated huge debt with credit cards and from college tuition/expenses.......Stare...and that, was part of their grievances. 
THEY admittedly had accumulated huge debt's and it's "corporatism" that is the problem?!?!? REALLY?? Is there ANY accountability or responsibility for our own actions any more, folks? With fellow Americans like that out there running around, how can we expect to save this once great....dare I say it...REPUBLIC? 

If you think it's only a handful of idiots out there with a stick up their asses, you are sadly mistaken. Nearly 50% of American households receive Govco bennies. 45% of Americans don't pay any Fed income taxes. 
I could go on, but I digress.      

All this flapping about corporations and bank greed....Hey, let's talk about YOUR GREED that caused you to run that credit card up through the ceiling to get the latest lap top, smart phones, go to eat out, get a HD TV, video game, etc......??? How about YOUR GREED that caused you to get college loans at ridiculous interest rates so you could get a cushy, 6 figure, office job and a condo with a loft?? ALL your problems are SELF INFLICTED!!!! 
Nobody held a gun to your head, when you signed up for the high interest credit card, Pard!! Nobody MADE you get that college loan that YOU can't pay back, Sista! 

I don't get it! I've never even qualified for any Govco bennies. I'm too white, too male, and have worked since I was old enough to walk. 

I use the bank's money, in the form of my credit card, for basically FREE! I live within my means and pay 100% of my credit card bill every month. To date I've paid ZERO in fees and ZERO in interest on my Visa! Sounds like a good deal too me! Shocked I've held a credit card for over 20 years. 

My Ford pickup that gets me here and there is financed by Ford Credit. Thanks, Ford! I didn't have to pay for 100% of my truck at the point of purchase. Works for me! (I pay 1.9% interest rate, cuz I pay my bills promptly.) SEE HOW IT WORKS?!?!? 

My house I own now is paid for and I owe nothing. But, I've had a mortgage before. Got a loan on my first home at a reasonable rate. Here again, I wouldn't have been able to purchase a home without a bank. 
I paid it off as fast as I could, so I could pay the least amount of interest as possible. That meant while my friends were going to freakin Arbuba for vacation, buying new cars and Harley's, yours truly was keeping his nose to the grind stone to pay off all outstanding debt.  
I made choices, you made choices, 99%er's. I was the proverbial Ant, you, the Grasshopper. 
Grow a pair and deal with it! I worked the system...you got owned by the system, due to your.....(gasp)...GREED?!? Bucky  

It's called self restraint and being accountable, Scruffy! Look into it!! When your taking a break from all that protesting to burn one with your fellow slackers on Wall Street, pull up the word "responsibility" on your I phone, that your 3 months behind paying for and was brought to you by a recently deceased, greedy, evil Capitalist, named Steve Jobs.          

I'm out......(sigh)          
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 06:04
Ever look up the definition of "greed"?? 

It's not just applied to the "millionaires and billionaires", contrary to popular belief. 
Laugh 

scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 06:21
MARK MARK MARK, what in the hell is wrong with yout!!  Living within your means?  Paying off debt before borrowing again?  Using the system in your favor?  Keeping good credit?

hehehehe  WELL SAID. 

To add to your rant, the folks like you are paying for all of those that have decided to not live responsibly.  Nobody is bailing us out of our bills.  My house is now worth half of what it was, even though i've paid all my bills.... WHERE is our bailout?  We keep working and paying our bills but nobody is handing us money or lowering our debt......  Your punished for being responsible.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 06:22
 If you held these people accountability or responsibility for there actions you would hurt there "FEELINGs", then they would have the court system ties up even more going after "pain and suffering". Ether way the US OF A has got way to soft for its own good and this "got to plz everyone" has got to stop. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 08:10
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

MARK MARK MARK, what in the hell is wrong with yout!!  Living within your means?  Paying off debt before borrowing again?  Using the system in your favor?  Keeping good credit?

hehehehe  WELL SAID. 

To add to your rant, the folks like you are paying for all of those that have decided to not live responsibly.  Nobody is bailing us out of our bills.  My house is now worth half of what it was, even though i've paid all my bills.... WHERE is our bailout?  We keep working and paying our bills but nobody is handing us money or lowering our debt......  Your punished for being responsible.

+100!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 08:45
 ExcellentExcellentExcellent SO I'm not crazy...... well...about that anyway! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 09:42
Shouldn't get too down on those folks protesting most are just people trying to get buy (pun intended). The real greed is correctly directed against a group of people who created financial derivative markets that were insured without any responsiblity on their part for the basic value. Sort of like Fort Knox. But what do you do when the 4 of the largest corporation have more cash in their bank accts. than the total of Fort knox? Or if the 10 richest people in the world walked in to the Fed and demanded gold exchange? There certainly are a lot of people in the gov. meal ticket, but no where near the 1 out of 5 that owes BofA. And of course the biggest issue- what is gonna happen if they decide to move the decimal point several places left of the now value of currency. Lots of basic problems. Personally I'm just glad that those folks are just labeled protesters, as opposed to being labled terrorists (trying to impead the most american of all institutions ) which may happen if things get worse.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 11:12
Their list of demands defies greed. They want a living wage (what defines that) regardless if their working or not, They want FREE college educations (I kinda like that, see how long those college professors hang around on their living wage), They want ALL debt retired (this will be good for college proffessors too, since there are so many unpaid student loans (that living wage gets even smaller for the people who came up with these ideas), but you gotta start somewhere). They basically want all the people who are working and making something to share all of what they make with them so they don'thave to work, but can be intellectually superor to those who are making all the stuff. Aren't you glad they are looking out for us?

The only difference between Hitler and Stalin was how they stole wealth and the number of people they killed.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 12:48
Dale, what do these people feel they are owed?? And from whom are they demanding payment from?? 

Do they want to redistribute wealth, change legislation to regulate the monetary system more than it is currently? What powers are they praying to bring forth this "change"?? The Gov??? Or are they thinking that they can hang out on Wall Street long enough to force the "banksters" to surrender some of their money??
FAT CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING!!  Big Grin

Ya know, I think if these yahoos REALLY got the Gov to change the rules, that they wouldn't like the end game. Do they think THEY would be in charge in The New World Order?? They would be Grand Poobaa over the new society?? I hardly think that would be the case. 

I get dizzy thinking about it.......  Whacko

Thanks for the comments. 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 13:31
Not sure who "they" are. I think most americans are disgusted the way enron, Goldman, AGi, ran away with everybodys dollars. That some have taken to the streets in protest should be a good thing for everyone. Obviously the whole bag of goods have some outragious demands. The calls for less gov. in business during the previous admin. is certainly to blame for some of it. And now calling for more controls certainly seems like a paradox. I don't think comments about stalin or such have any meaning in this context. In a market economy such as this, you cannot pass a law against something that hasn't happened yet. The executives simply found a loophole in the system and exploited it.
Yogi Bera

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 19:18
There are corporations, businesses, banks, government, and other entities that are guilty of being irresponsible and cheating people, but individuals are still responsible to make their own decisions, live in their means, and if you do take debt to pay it.  Sadly in this culture, personal responsibility for thoughts, choices, and actions are passed off on others.  Makes me sick.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 08:17
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

There are corporations, businesses, banks, government, and other entities that are guilty of being irresponsible and cheating people, but individuals are still responsible to make their own decisions, live in their means, and if you do take debt to pay it.  Sadly in this culture, personal responsibility for thoughts, choices, and actions are passed off on others.  Makes me sick.

That's where I'm at too. I agree that corporations haven't always done the right thing, from an ethical perspective, but why in the wide world of sports are we demonizing them and letting the ass sitters off the hook?   
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 08:38
Can't remember the exact figures but the bonus paid to agi ex. was enough give every family in the US 10k or pay for everyone in the us dentals bills for 1 year. This doesn't include the payoffs to the lobbyists in DC who juggled the system to get the bailout. Even if the ass sitters were getting our tax dollars in some sort of work, or bene comp. the figures would still be much lower. In any case the ass sitters still wouldn't have 21 private jets for exec. use like goldman. Don't get me wrong, I love diasters. Short selling on the stock market is another great american tradition.
Yogi Bera

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 09:34
I thought the Stalin comment was very relavent. Since both systems of economics claimed the other system was so unfair and corrupt for the participents, yet both systems managed to kill millions of people trying to maintain their power. Stalin killed far more people than Hitler and won the power struggle of the day yet the system still failed. Now the occupy Wallstreet crowd seems to be pushing for the same systems that brings tyrants to power, and fails all but the dictators.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 10:29
Dale, am I reading you right?? Your for this mob? 
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 10:37
The protesters could all find at the very least menial work (retail, fast food, sanitation) near the area they are protesting (NYC) lol. These ass hats are a bunch of freaks who's list of demands is beyond all levels of insanity.

Can't find a job? In most cases it comes down to not taking a job "beneath you". There is work but these people won't do it. Hence why we hire illegals.

But i stand by my first comment. These protesters are freaks.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 11:07
I work for a bank.  I cannot claim all banks are like this, but many of the smaller banks are just trying to get by just like any other small business.  Sure some banks my have a lot of greed with the higher ups and the shareholders, but that is not the case here.  I do our payroll, no one here gets huge salaries or bonuses that a small country could live on for 10 years. 

Our wonderful political leaders keep telling us that we cannot charge this fee or this fee because it is costing the merchants to much money or it is costing our customers to much money.  Or because these political leaders do not know how to manage their own money and they get charged bank fees because of that. Then they decide to regulate our ability to charge certain fees.  So they are constantly giving us a new sets of rules, that we have to monitor, regular, police, document, report, etc, etc.  The rules they come up with are so bizare and way out there, that our regulators are not even sure how to tell us how to do some of these things.  So now we suddenly have 10 times the cost to us because of all these new rules and regs that we have to follow.  So we have to offset that cost by adding a fees somewhere else.

I sit through hours of our management meetings, trying to figure out ways to not gouge our customers with huge fees.  But ultimately the new expenses that are being forced upon us has to be passed onto the customer our we cannot keep being a bank.  Our bank is one of the few banks that if you manage your money properly you can actually bank for free.  Most banks even charge their best customers fees here and there.  But a lot of smaller banks do offer free banking if you mange your money properly.  But with all these new regs that keep getting passed onto us by our political leaders that have no idea how to run a bank, free banking is going to become a thing of the past.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 11:10
I think the protests are organized by someone (cough: George Soros Cough:)  to smoke screen other things they are trying to do to our country.  Men like him lust on the power of controlling and destroying nations.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 11:25
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I think the protests are organized by someone (cough: George Soros Cough:)  to smoke screen other things they are trying to do to our country.  Men like him lust on the power of controlling and destroying nations.
I've never had any doubt about this. The Democrats know they are in trouble and they need a distraction from what is really going on, and try to get people to focus on something that benefits them.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 11:55
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I work for a bank.  I cannot claim all banks are like this, but many of the smaller banks are just trying to get by just like any other small business.  Sure some banks my have a lot of greed with the higher ups and the shareholders, but that is not the case here.  I do our payroll, no one here gets huge salaries or bonuses that a small country could live on for 10 years. 

Our wonderful political leaders keep telling us that we cannot charge this fee or this fee because it is costing the merchants to much money or it is costing our customers to much money.  Or because these political leaders do not know how to manage their own money and they get charged bank fees because of that. Then they decide to regulate our ability to charge certain fees.  So they are constantly giving us a new sets of rules, that we have to monitor, regular, police, document, report, etc, etc.  The rules they come up with are so bizare and way out there, that our regulators are not even sure how to tell us how to do some of these things.  So now we suddenly have 10 times the cost to us because of all these new rules and regs that we have to follow.  So we have to offset that cost by adding a fees somewhere else.

I sit through hours of our management meetings, trying to figure out ways to not gouge our customers with huge fees.  But ultimately the new expenses that are being forced upon us has to be passed onto the customer our we cannot keep being a bank.  Our bank is one of the few banks that if you manage your money properly you can actually bank for free.  Most banks even charge their best customers fees here and there.  But a lot of smaller banks do offer free banking if you mange your money properly.  But with all these new regs that keep getting passed onto us by our political leaders that have no idea how to run a bank, free banking is going to become a thing of the past.
Credit Unions don't have feesWinkBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic