OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle scopes
    Posted: February/01/2006 at 12:06
Good afternoon,

It is a honour talk with you.
I'am Portuguese and i love hunting.

Here in Portugal we use also American rifle scopes like Bushnell, Leupold, and the people with more money use the European scopes, like Zeiss, Swarosvki, Etc.

If possible I would like to know  your opinion about American rifle scopes for the wild boar hunting at night.

I have a Whitetail Classic 3.5-10x50 but  the quality is poor for night hunt.

Thank you.

Sorry my English.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2006 at 18:49

Welcome to The OT, Sir.

Do you have a certain budget, in US dollars, in mind??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2006 at 20:57
Maybe a BSA Cateye
Javali View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 05:28
Good morning,

The problem with the budget, is the great diference of prices between USA and Portugal for your's rifle scopes.

Here, for example a Bushnell 4200, with iluminated point is about 850 US Dollars.

I think  if the scope have a inferior quality of a 4200 it is not useful for this kind of hunting. Any way i would like to buy a good American scope.

I do not know what kind of scopes you use in USA for boars night huntint at short distances.

Thank you

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 11:55

Elite 4200 is probably one of the better scopes as far as glass quality goes from American companies.  For night hunting you may want to consider something along the lines of ELite 4200 2.5-10x40 or 1.5-6x36 with FireFly reticle.  It is certainly much much better than you Whitetail Classic.

For night hunting, a classic setup is a 1.5-6x40 or something along those lines, with a thick and/or illuminated reticle.

Other scopes you can consider in the same price range are Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 with illuminated #4 reticle and Burris Signature Select 1.5-6x40.

For night hunting, you have to be prepared to spend some money since glass quality is very important there.

ILya

Javali View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 14:13
Thank you Koshkin

Curiously i saw that you do not use scopes with a large objective lens like 50 or 56 mm.
In Portugal and all Europe the normal is use those diametres  even in short distances, 50/60 meters.
Is a fact that hunting with the light of the moon (and without flash lights) needs a good twilight factor and a good exit pupil.
I realy do not know if  1.5-6x36 would be enough. With this configuration the t.f is (only?) 14,7.

Do you think if is possible for me to buy in USA a rifle scope and  pay a few money for the Customs?. I do not know how much will be the quantity of money to spend with shipping, customs and so on.
Probably i will pay the same price buying here in Lisbon.

Best regards
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 15:06

I do not know how expensive going through the customs is.  You'd have to find out.

As for the objective size, in USA, for most game animals, it is illegal to hunt at night.  Also, if you have to walk the whole day with your rifle, you do not want a very heavy scope.

Another consideration is what magnification you are comfortable with.  You only need a larger objective lens if you want to use a higher magnification.  For magnification of 6x and below an objective lens larger thant 40mm does not do anything.  The rule of thumb is that the exit pupil is the lens diameter divided by the magnification.  Having an exit pupil larger than 7mm is pretty useless since our eye pupils can not dilate beyond 7mm and frequently less than that. 

The twilight factor is tied to the magnification and does not take into account optical quality.  Personally, I do not like high magnification scopes due to narrow field of view, short eye relief, etc., so I generally ignore twilight factor.  I look at the exit pupil, optical quality and durability as main factors.

ILya

Javali View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 16:05
Thank you again.

Here in Portugal and Spain is legal to hunt  wild boars (javalis)  in the moon light,   obviously under  certains circumstancies.

The weight of the scope for this hunting is not very important because we are stand still.

The price of the equipement is better with few magnification and smaller objective lens.

Perhaps i go to try the American way. I agree with you, the most important is a very good optical quality.

Best regards
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 13:45

You may not be able to obtain all of the scopes we have access to here. My first choice for a night optic would be a red dot type or illuminated reticle type scope with a low power or no power. A true night vision scope might also be a posibility (but a really expensive one). At night magnification will be of limited value. EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Leupold  etc all have different systems of internal illumination but each has minor differences that make them more or less desirable for a specific use. Since many of these are used as military type optics you may not have access to them.

512A65 EOTech 510 Tactical Holosight Rev. F EOTech 510 Tactical Holosight Rev. F
  • 65 MOA Ring w/ 1 MOA Dot
  • Free Neoprene Protective Cover w/ Purchase
  • Free 2 "AA" Batteries w/ Purchase
SWFA: $359.95
11419 Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA
  • 30mm
SWFA: $328.95
TX30 Trijicon Tri-Power Reflex Sight Trijicon Tri-Power Reflex Sight
  • Matte
  • Red Chevron
  • 30mm
  • Free Trijicon Scope Cover w/ Purchase
  • Free Trijicon Lens Pen w/ Purchase
  • Free Trijicon 30mm Ring w/ Purchase
  • Free 4 Batteries w/ Purchase
SWFA: $526.95
TR21R Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope Trijicon 1.25-4x24 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle BAC
  • 1"
SWFA: $534.95
LEU56994 Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Special Purpose Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
SWFA: $849.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU60220 New Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope New Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $1,069.95
LEU57050 Leupold 3-9x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 3-9x36 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Javali View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 10:04
Thank you for the colaboration.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic