OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cooper .260 + Schmidt/Bender Zenith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturner6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooper .260 + Schmidt/Bender Zenith
    Posted: October/09/2011 at 04:26
Greetings and Salutations!

I have an interesting problem that is fast becoming a nightmare to me.  It's interesting as I have never seen this before and a nightmare due to the amounts of money having been laid out for rifle, glass and ammunitino.

So, here's the rundown.  Brand new Cooper 54 in .260 Rem.  Of course it came with the shot verification card from the factory that had 3rds within the same 9mm hole.  Great.  Looks awesome on paper and I know barring a TON of good luck, I could never duplicate that.  I am however a sub moa shooter out to about 600m so I feel like I can at least get 3 rounds into a 1" with any kind of ammo the gun even halfway likes.  So, welcome to issue 1.  I have 5 kinds of ammo for this (all factory offerings) but Cooper's shot group is hand loaded (which I have no access to here in Germany).  What I have shot so far is:

Federal 120gr Nosler BT
Federal 140gr SGK
Remington 120gr Accu-Tip
Remington 140gr Core-Lokt
Nosler Custom 125gr PT

None of those would put 3 rounds in a 2in circle much less a 3!  Hence the reason this is being posted here instead of elsewhere.  I am starting to lean to maybe there is an issue with my S/B Zenith in 2.5-10x56mm LP #4. 

3 of us finished our German hunting course at the same time.  We all bought different rifles but we all bought the same glass mentioned above.  1 of my colleagues has since sent his glass back to the factory 3x for reticle issues.  Another of my colleagues has had an issue where he's not getting full vertical traverse on his reticle.  He can only get 13 clicks but he's not totally dissatisfied as it allows him to shoot his 200gr+ .30-06.  Now enter my problem.

I pulled this glass off of my -06 that I was convinced I had ruined the barrel in (water in the tube from a snowy day).  It still shot ok but nothing like it had for the last 3 years.  I went from .5MOA to 1.25MOA at 100m.  Like I said, I was originally convinced it was the gun until my friends started me thinking that maybe it was the glass? 

Now, with the new rifle I am experiencing some of the same issues.  I have shot the same ammo on 2 different occasions from 2 different types of platform.  1 sandbag and stool and the other with a bench, shooting bag and a solid rest.  Results were basically identical which leads me to believe, I am not the problem Loco

Need some expert advice on whether anyone believes this could realistically be the glass?  It would be cheaper initially for me to send the glass about 2hrs away from where I am at than it would be to send the rifle back across the pond to Montana (but that's the next step if I can't get satisfaction from having the glass checked at the plant).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

168gr BTS What more do you really need?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 08:59
Do you have a known good scope to use or borrow to test?
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 09:27
Before you start taking things off, I would check all the bolts. I.E., action bolts, scope mounts, rings, all of it. If it those all check out, then I would look to barrow another scope. And while I was shooting I would probably check out the 30/06 too, as it is a known shooter. (A little snow down the tube is not going to hurt it, put a bit of gun oil on a bronze brush, then patch dry.)
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 11:50
Assuming you already checked scope and action mounts...

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 13:21
Hate to say it but my Cooper .30-06 did the same thing when I got it. Plus the trigger pull was 4.5#. I sent mine back to Cooper twice....... with a lengthy description of what I was going through and they recrowned the barrel and adjusted the trigger. My first test target had 3 shots in one hole and my second target had the same. Since I got it back the second time , I have not shot a 3 shot group so far without the holes touching in some shape, form, or fashion.

I literally could not get 1" groups at 50 yrds ............and went from "that" to shooting below 1/2" moa groups with the same gun,scope, and ammo .......out of a vise!
tturner6 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tturner6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 12:20
Well, I have the scope off and a tester on.  If this falls through, the damned dream gun goes back to Montana!  I can't stand a rifle that won't shoot 1MOA out of my 41yr old eyes!

168gr BTS What more do you really need?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 14:06
If it doesnt shoot and before you send it off I would have a trusted smith look it over

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 15:51
The folks at Cooper will make it right if need be. Here's hoping a send-back won't be required though. Good luck. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic