OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Son of E

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Son of E
    Posted: October/08/2011 at 20:54
Yesterday it rained almost all day.  We dearly needed it, but it was also supposed to rain through most of the evening with rain also called for this morning.
Erik and I had already decided we were not going to make an early start, but sleep in and head out sometime before noon to avoid rain.  Erik also had a friend stay the night who would be with us for the antelope hunt. I had my 6.5 Leopard XP-11 (AKA Pink Panther) with me but really did not intend to use it unless we just happen to come up on a big mule deer or some unsuspecting coyote.
Erik is using the 7mm SAUM Remington XP-100, built by Mac’s Gunworks.  Optic is a FFP Leupold Mark 4  6.5-20 with Holland’s ART reticle.  I use H-1000, Federal 210 M’s, Remmy brass with the necks lightly turned and the brass worked over for consistency.  Muzzle velocity with the 162 A-Max is 2759.  Recoil is all but nothing with Holland’s Radial brake.
Erik has been shooting this specialty handgun for well over a year out to 1000 yards, and has been real proficient with it from field shooting positions.  While at Holland’s Long Range Shooting School this past spring he told me out of the blue, that come October he wanted to take a buck antelope over 500 yards.   I didn’t doubt his ability for this distance if conditions were good and he was relaxed.  I said, “Sounds good to me.”
Once we got to where we could hunt, we quickly spotted a group of lopes and saw an average buck for this area.  Erik had told me earlier he didn’t really care about the size of the antlers, but was looking for a good shot opportunity.  First we thought he may be able to just go into the field a little bit for a shot, as they were 530 yards away, but the animals moved over a slope before he could get set-up.  We moved further to the east and then started heading north to see if we could find them again.  We kept seeing some does, but the buck wouldn’t show himself.  Finally the buck popped out of the drainage.  We made our way slowly (single-file) to a high spot, so Erik could set up prone.  Made it there and ranged the buck at 510 yards.  Erik is getting set-up and I happen to look at the XP and notice the bolt was missing!  “Erik, where is the bolt?”  He looked at me with ‘deer in the headlights’ kind of look.  It ended up being back in the Tahoe.  
So now we have to go all the way back to the vehicle, get the bolt, and head back to where he had set-up.  As you would guess, the buck had disappeared.  Question now was, which way.  We move off to the right into a north/south drainage to avoid a baby buck and some does.  We spot him again, and get up on top set-up, but to no avail as he goes over another ridge.  
Now we are more or less in the open now going basically north trying see where he went, when we noticed a herd to our NNW.  There he is, or it is possible it was another buck who was very similar.  Regardless, we need to make our way to the left to a higher spot for a shot opportunity.
The wind is almost a full value averaging around 7mph.  With the terrain and everything I told him to dial for a 5mph full-value wind.  The buck had been herding does around off and on, so we waited till he had his fill of that and was standing still eating.  At the shot, I was prone with my binos, and I could tell he had hit him, but it took some time for the meat report to make its way back to us.  The rest of the herd moved to the west going up the hill, but the buck turned and went the other way going down the hill.  We saw him crash, about 50 yards away.  Erik’s classmate was using my Swaro LRF and I was using the Leica 1600 LRF.  Both worked great, but I was wishing for my small tri-pod to make ranging easier.  
Erik made his 500 yard goal and then some.  
He killed that buck with one shot at 690 yards.  
Not bad for a teenager with a specialty pistol.  
I am very proud of him!
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2011 at 21:23
Fabulous... you have much to be proud of, as does Erik.  Bringing him up, unafraid, undaunted by the "long shot".  Great stuff... a new generation of hunters.  I love it.  Thank you for telling us the tale.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 05:44
Great shooting & a great story. Kudos to Ernie & son ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 06:38
Thanks for sharing this....excellent.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 09:38
The  -BOLT-was missing?
RULE 1) The Gun is ALWAYS loaded!

Great story! Nice Goat!
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 17:57
This is a center-grip, single-shot XP with a Dell trigger that has a pull weight of around 6 ounces.
Erik has grown up with BR triggers.
Because of the trigger weight I have on my specialty handguns we never carry "hot."

Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

The  -BOLT-was missing?

Great story! Nice Goat!
Ernie

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 18:01
So these don't pass the drop test...

Never hot.

From that range have you ever been heard put one in the tube???

Wink
No one
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 18:37
I doubt it.  Not worth having an AD over.
I have never had an animal react yet to our voices at that distance.

Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

So these don't pass the drop test...

Never hot.

From that range have you ever been heard put one in the tube???

Wink
Ernie

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 19:51
That does it.
Building one of those bolt handguns is officially on my list.

Thanks for the story Ernie!

Ilya
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 19:55
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

This is a center-grip, single-shot XP with a Dell trigger that has a pull weight of around 6 ounces.
Because of the trigger weight I have on my specialty handguns we never carry "hot."

The  -BOLT-was missing?

Great story! Nice Goat!
Loco  If all it takes is a strong breeze to to make it go off,  then it is not safe enough to be in the field with.  Anything you have to set up anytime with special rules, you are setting yourself up for problems down the road.Devil Head Banger
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 20:04
Well, on that note, I guess I need one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 20:32

Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

The  -BOLT-was missing?

Great story! Nice Goat!
Loco  If all it takes is a strong breeze to to make it go off,  then it is not safe enough to be in the field with.  Anything you have to set up anytime with special rules, you are setting yourself up for problems down the road.Devil Head Banger

I have used these triggers in two tactical matches so i have confidence in them.
Never had an ad with them.
At the same time, there is no need for me to have one in the chamber.
This is my choice for my safety, IF Murphy decides to show up.
Ernie

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 22:30
Ernie,

Are these handguns custom jobs only? or is there something reasonably affordable out there for people who are simply curious about them?

Thanks
ILya
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 00:43
In the XP's, yes.
The best custom/factory specialty pistols for LR shooting  is the MOA Maximum.  Falling block action, interchangeable barrels.  You can have one built for right around $1,000.
Are they accurate?  Well, my 15" MOA chambered in 6.5-284 shooting 130 Berger's had a 5-shot group at 1000 yards during a match that measured 5.25"
Total weight of the specialty handgun with a S-III 6-24 is 7.5 pounds

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Ernie,

Are these handguns custom jobs only? or is there something reasonably affordable out there for people who are simply curious about them?

Thanks
ILya
Ernie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic