OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 3-9X42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 3-9X42
    Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:03
Purchased this scope and I don't know how to use it! I know on mil dot scopes you can put dashes at 200, 300, 400, etc.! Any help?
andy
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:06
What do you mean you don't know how to use it?  Elaborate and we can try to help
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:07
are you talking about using it for hold over points?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:07
What do you need to know? And what rifle is it mounted on?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:08
Damn you SVT...J/K .
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:24
Just to try and get somewhere.

Mil dots are a constant angular measurement. If you know the height of an object you can use the Mil dots to determine the distance that object is from you. This is an over simplified explanation of what Mil dots can be used for, but it gives an idea. The best thing to have if your not familier with Mil dots is a Mil dot master, which can be purchased from SWFA. It explains how to use Mil dots to range a target and how to make corrections for your shots.

Is this what you are asking?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:27
need more info, rifle and use will help.

the 3-9 is mil/mil, meaning that the reticle and turrets match. 1 mil=3.6" @100. so if you zero for 100, and either dial 1 mil or place the 1st lower mil dot on your point of aim, you will hit 3.6" high. just google mil dot scope, and you can find enough info to get you started. then it's on you to learn how to use it at range.

and use a ballistic calculator to get rough dope. i like the vortex calc, it has mil/mil calculations.

good luck

and if i'm wrong, someone will correct me.

welcome to OT
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:37
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Just to try and get somewhere.

Mil dots are a constant angular measurement. If you know the height of an object you can use the Mil dots to determine the distance that object is from you. This is an over simplified explanation of what Mil dots can be used for, but it gives an idea. The best thing to have if your not familier with Mil dots is a Mil dot master, which can be purchased from SWFA. It explains how to use Mil dots to range a target and how to make corrections for your shots.

Is this what you are asking?
Mil-Dot Master Mil-Dot Master
Stock # - MD1
  • Estimating Target Size
  • Determining Range to Target
  • Correcting for Bullet Drop
  • Correcting for Wind Drift
  • Correcting for Uphill/Downhill
  • Correcting Correction to Mil (holdover)
  • Correcting Correction to MOA (sight adjustment)
$29.95 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 11:23
Send it to me I'll use it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 16:49
Andy,
The dashes are not hold over points.
The MIL in mil dot is a shortening of the term milliradian. You are familiar with degrees as measurements of angle. You also know from high school geometry that there are 360 degrees in a circle. As the circle grows larger in circumference, the number of degrees does not change, but the distance between each degree along the circle does increase. You may also know that degrees are divided into smaller units called minutes. There are seconds, too, but they are too small for this discussion. A degree is divided into 60 minutes. At 100 yards distance, the angle of one minute is approximately one inch. So if the centers of the two bullets farthest apart in a 100-yard group are about one inch apart, we call that a minute-of-angle group. Get it? At 200 yards, a group measuring two inches center- to-center equals a one minute-of-angle group. At 400 yards, it's a four-inch group. At 50 yards, it's a half-inch group.
"So what's a mil?"
One mil of angle is approximately 3.6 inches long at 100 yards, and that is close enough to 3.5 minutes of angle to be convenient. In Leapers mil dot scopes, the centers of the dots are one mil apart. If the scope is variable power, this only holds true for the highest power setting.

So, if your bullseye is 3.5 inches in diameter and 100 yards away, it will touch the centers of any two dots next to each other. If it appears only half that size through the scope (from the center of one dot to half the distance to the next center) your target must be about 200 yards away. If the same bullseye spans the distance between the centers of three dots (two with an extra dot between them), your target is about 50 yards away.
Sniper rifles have mil dots on both horizontal and vertical crosshairs so they can measure height as well as width through their scopes. A six-foot tall man is also 72 inches tall. At 100 yards, he would appear to be just over 20 mils tall. At 1000 yards, he would be close to 2 mils tall.
Military binoculars and gunsights are usually equipped with mil reticles. On the standard crosshairs are other short lines that mark mill angles. These are often referred to as rangefinding reticles. To use them that way, you have to know how to apply the correct mathematical formula, plus you have to know the approximate size of your target.
What else can you use the mil dot reticle for? Well, if you are shooting in a crosswind, you can use the dots as additional aim points to compensate for wind drift. If you notice the strike of your pellets in relation to the dots, you can aim off to one side by placing a dot along the horizontal reticle over the target instead of the crosshairs. By choosing the correct dot, you can easily adjust for how much the pellet will drift in the wind and end up with a perfect shot every time. Better still, there is no math involved!
Here's a chart that you can reference.

I would strong suggest that you get a Mil-Dot Master or visit www.mil-dot.com.
The Mildot Master is an analog calculator designed along the principle of a slide rule, utilizing logarithmic and inverse logarithmic scales developed specifically for performing the following operations:
  • Rapid and simple calculation of range to target, based on a measurement of the target with a mildot reticle, by aligning the estimated target size directly opposite the mildot measurement, and then reading the range at an index mark.

• Rapid and simple calculation of the amount of sight correction necessary to compensate for bullet drop and/or wind drift for a given range, enabling the shooter to determine either the equivalent telescopic sight adjustment (minute-of-angle, or MOA) or the equivalent hold-over (mils), by reading equivalents in both MOA and mils directly opposite the bullet drop/wind drift figure.

• Additionally, angle of fire for uphill or downhill shots can be accurately measured, and the up/down compensation can be closely calculated to reduce the errors such shots can induce.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 17:53
Welcome...

The MILDOT MASTER MIGHT HELP EXPLAIN THIS...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/07/2011 at 17:54
No one
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 17:55

Skylar,

Good info Excellent and it's look like I need the mid master too.

Thanks,

Eagle
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 18:51
Even if you are a "PRO", the mildot master is a very useful tool...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
CTShamrock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTShamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 13:21
Just got one myself.

There are no directions or instructions in box or online.

After zeroing at range I removed the center screws on the windage and elevation turrets with the allen wrench to lift and reset them to "zero" but have no idea if that was correct procedure.

Will that do it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 14:21
Originally posted by CTShamrock CTShamrock wrote:

Just got one myself.

After zeroing at range I removed the center screws on the windage and elevation turrets with the allen wrench to lift and reset them to "zero" but have no idea if that was correct procedure.

Will that do it?
Yes...That'll do.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 17:54
Originally posted by CTShamrock CTShamrock wrote:

Just got one myself.

Will that do it?

Yes sir, that is exactly how to do it.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 17:59
OuchWhat did CTShamrocks Post Say My wife just slapped me...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/09/2011 at 17:59
No one
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 18:00
Maybe his avatar. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 18:39
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
CTShamrock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTShamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2011 at 21:49
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Just tying to relax those eyes after staring through a reticle!!

Thanks for the replies guys.  And yes, I would have gotten around to reading the manual if there was one. Eventually.

Customer Service told me it was a work in progress 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic