OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alpen Winged ED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alpen Winged ED
    Posted: October/05/2011 at 08:00
Has anyone had or heard about Alpens Winged ED Binos.  They seem to have a very good warrenty, but I think they are just another Chinese bino, wrapped in a American company.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 08:25
Looks like another version of the Promaster, Zen Ray, Hawke, Talon, etc.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - October/05/2011 at 08:25
-Matt
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 10:13

The Alpen website informs us that their ED glass offers "extra dispersion."   Not sure why anyone would want to increase the amount of light dispersion offered by their binocular but, whatever floats your boat.

In all seriosness this llittle faux pas on their part simply tells me that the people putting together their ad copy don't really know what they are talking about.  They just want to market a product and are trying their best to mimic the techno-speech they have heard elsewhere.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 11:19
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

The Alpen website informs us that their ED glass offers "extra dispersion."   Not sure why anyone would want to increase the amount of light dispersion offered by their binocular but, whatever floats your boat.

In all seriosness this llittle faux pas on their part simply tells me that the people putting together their ad copy don't really know what they are talking about.  They just want to market a product and are trying their best to mimic the techno-speech they have heard elsewhere.

I wonder how much extra dispersion they are talking about.  I look for all the dispersion I can get with a binocular. Big Smile
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 11:53
As for an American company and Chinese binoculars, that is applicable to just about all optics companies , even a couple of German ones, in that the ALL have significant Chinese connections.  We may not like it, but sad to say that is the way it is.

The Wings ED do look similar to the ZEN ED series etc, but they are different in physical appearance.  I saw one once at a Sportman's Warehouse and it seemed like a very good binocular.

Here is a review from a thread on Birdforum
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2011 at 16:32
They are also tested here:
http://www.allbinos.com/197-binoculars_review-Alpen_Optics_Wings_ED_10x42.html

They get decent test results. Some things could be better though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic