OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which optic for larue stealth upper?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlarge10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which optic for larue stealth upper?
    Posted: October/04/2011 at 13:45
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a 20" Larue Stealth upper in 5.56 and now I need glass for it.  The uppers are known to be sub MOA shooters and I'd like to reach the rifles potential.  I'm looking to spend around $1k on the glass.  It will be used for a wide variety of tasks including varmint hunting, precision rifle classes, and long distance shooting.  I currently have a precision built .308 wearing an IOR 3.5-18 FFP mil/mil and really like the set up.  The features I'm looking for in this new optic are:
FFP
mil/mil

I'm heavily leaning toward the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 because I have a buddy who will sell me his for $600!Yippee  If there's something else that would be better, let me know.
Also I will be looking for a mount and am considering a Larue QD unless there's something else I should be looking at. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 18:51
Sub-$1k FFP battle comes down to Vortex PST (4-16x50 and 6-24x50), Weaver 3-15x50, Bushnell Elite Tactical (3-12x44 and 6-24x50) and a couple of Pride Fowler scopes.

Personally, I would probably lean slightly toward the Weaver, since I like the 3-15x50 configuration.

With the PSTs, I like the 6-24x50 the most out of the whole product family.

ILya
rlarge10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlarge10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 20:51

I like the Bushnells, but I can't stand mildot reticles.  If they offered something with hash marks, I would like that much better.  So Koshkin, you would go Weaver over Vortex PST?  Can you explain why?  Thanks for the help.

Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 21:18
I'm not quite which PST your friend has but I want to assume it's SFP.
Personally I would use a milling scope in SFP because it will only sub-tend correctly on one magnification.
I want to say that Koshkin likes the Weaver over the PST because the range of mag is greater than the PST.
The erector in the Weaver is a 5 and the PST has a 4.
I don't like to assume, but that's what I think.
I like the PST over the Weaver tac unless the PST is SFP then I would say that the Weaver would be the better option.
I really like the EMDR Reticle and that it's FFP.

rlarge10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlarge10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 23:30
The one my friend has is the 6-24ffp PST. I really like ffp since that is what I've gotten used to with my IOR. I would like to try the SS line, but I don't think the 3-9 has enough magnification and I think the 5-20 is a little out of my price range.
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 10:17
You really should consider the Weaver FFP 3-15X50 EMDR. Although you will not likely not need the glass clarity that this scope provides to shoot out to 1000 yards, you will appreciate it for any distance less than that.

This new Weaver is far more scope than the price suggests, and if Weaver is trying to buy their way into the "tactical" market, this is the scope to do it.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 22:52
Originally posted by rlarge10 rlarge10 wrote:

The one my friend has is the 6-24ffp PST. I really like ffp since that is what I've gotten used to with my IOR. I would like to try the SS line, but I don't think the 3-9 has enough magnification and I think the 5-20 is a little out of my price range.

I can empathize with that. I really like our 3-9 extremely easy in my opinion to range distance and DOPE out to longer range.
For the value, I can begin to fathom what can beat the 5-20 for the money, though.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:03
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I'm not quite which PST your friend has but I want to assume it's SFP.
Personally I would use a milling scope in SFP because it will only sub-tend correctly on one magnification.
I want to say that Koshkin likes the Weaver over the PST because the range of mag is greater than the PST.
The erector in the Weaver is a 5 and the PST has a 4.
I don't like to assume, but that's what I think.
I like the PST over the Weaver tac unless the PST is SFP then I would say that the Weaver would be the better option.
I really like the EMDR Reticle and that it's FFP.

I prefer the 3-15x50 Weaver to the 4-16x50 because I preferred the optical quality of the Weaver.
PSTs are nice scopes, but from the ones I have seen 6-24x50 is the best one in this product family.  4-16x50 is not as good and 2.5-10x44 was pretty disappointing to me.

ILya
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:06
I haven't noticed that. But it is something I'm going to look at.
Personally I do not like another over 20 mag because of the mirage that I see in Texas.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:49
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

I haven't noticed that. But it is something I'm going to look at.
Personally I do not like another over 20 mag because of the mirage that I see in Texas.

I am with you on the magnification range.  It is pretty hot where I live, so high magnifications are not always useful, hence my overall preference of 3-15x50 or 4-16x50 configurations.  However, if 6x at low end is acceptable, then the 6-24x50 PST is a very worthwhile option.  It can be primarily used below 16x, while higher magnification is still available for the rare occasions when the conditions allow for it.

ILya
rlarge10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlarge10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2011 at 21:02
Ok so I got both :) now which mount? Larue? Bobro?
rlarge10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlarge10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2011 at 16:37
Bump for mount recommendations
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2011 at 17:08
Neither ,get the Aadland Bucky
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 07:20
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

+1
rlarge10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rlarge10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 20:05
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

+1

please excuse the ignorance, but what does this mount do that regular rings do not?  Seems like for the same price of the aadland I could get a QD mount like bobro, larue, American Defense.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 21:26
I like the La Rue mount and the 5-20x50 Trijicon red post which is 2nd FP 1/4 moa clicks  or for more money the Super Sniper 50x20x50 which is FFP Mil Mil.  If you are not going to quick detach it the Aadland is really solid and I have heard good things about the BOBRO but Im a solid fan of La Rue mounts and they match up quite nicely with the Super Sniper scopes here.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2011 at 18:59
I am very happy with the Aadland on my SCAR and AR.   I over torqued a screw and snapped it off and Jon fixed my mistake with quick personal service.   If I torque them down right (which I do now) I can take the mount off and put it back on without changing my zero.  They are the most solid mounts I have every used.   They also have a large mount area in contact with the scope and don't leave any appreciable ring marks.   They don't have any lapping problems due their monolithic design and precision CNC production.   If I had more scopes I would have more Aadland mounts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic