OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron SIII 6-24 MOA-2 bad glass??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kennyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron SIII 6-24 MOA-2 bad glass??
    Posted: September/29/2011 at 20:45
Hey I am pretty new here, and by no means an optics expert. I decided I wanted to get some good glass for once and wanted to stay under 1k, so I ordered one of the new Sightron SIII 6-24 MOA-2 scopes from SWFA.

This evening I took it out to see what I thought, and just for kicks I brought along my 10/22 target which has a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 mounted on it. I set up on my shooting bench that overlooks a big open field. There were some deer out feeding about 500-600 yards out, so it was a good chance to see what I thought of the new Sightron.

I fully expected the Sightron to completely blow away the Vortex Crossfire, but I couldn't hardly believe my eyes. The Crossfire had almost identical detail resolution to the SIII! Now the Sightron was much clearer on the edges and had a wider field of view. It also appeared slightly brighter, but I could make out just as much detail with one as the other. (counting points on a buck, looking at flowers, etc) Once it was pretty much dark, I turned my attention to a house about 1/4 mile away, and here again, I could not tell a difference in detail resolution.

My question is this. Is the glass in my Crossfire really that good, or did I just get a bad Sightron?

PS I really like the new MOA reticle in the Sightron!
Txhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 23:42
I have 3 Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD scopes and the glass in all of them will run right with my Swarovski PH.
Maybe you just have a really superb Vortex!

I have heard some others voice concerns with the new MOA-2 glass,but I haven't seen one,so I can't compare it to the Mildot versions that I have.
I have been wanting to get one of the MOA-2 scopes.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 10:31
Hello New Poster.  Welcome.

I do not want to argue with you I have compared the Sightron 6-24 and 8-32 as well as 10-50 with Swarovski, Z6i 5-30, S&B PM II 5-25, Zeiss 5-20, SWFA SS 5-20, Kahles 4.8-18. I can tell you they are all very close, Sightron ahead of some fore mentioned...

I am sorry your findings are not within the "scope" or optical comparison of Sightron to Vortex, Maybe the Razor but not any other scope they manufacture, I will post pics if need be on this.

This is not for you or about you I just cannot believe what you just said.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/07/2011 at 10:39
No one
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2011 at 15:54
I am interested in hearing more about the sightron siii 

338 Lapuaslap, your experience is just what I am looking for.

I was going to start a thread asking people what their opinion is between the Sightron Siii 6-24 (or what ever power)   compared to the Zeiss Conquest 6-20 

mostly interested in ballistic reticles, especially the MOA-2 by sightron.  and the Rapid-z reticles by Zeiss.

I am hoping to buy a scope for long range shooting early next year.

also what are thoughts on Bushnell 6400 series, and how do they compare.
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2011 at 22:53
338 Lapuaslap,

I read your reviews on the 2 Sightron siii scopes.  very nice.
still interested in the mentioned comparisons.
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2011 at 16:50
Is this thread dead?
Poker
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 07:20
338 is addressing some other issues right now, I'm sure when he gets back he will address your questions.  Have you tried PMing him?
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 20:06
Thanks for the update SVT_Tactical,
no, I haven't sent a pm to 338LapuaSlap.  I wasn't trying to single him out, I wanted to leave it open for anyone with experiences to post too.  But thanks for letting me know about 338Lapuaslap,   I wont be so nagging then.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 22:19
atomic you still around??? my fault just read this have some spare time now... big ooops.
No one
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 10:45
yeah, Im still around.  haven't been real active lately, but Im here.  
Things have changed a little.  Im back in school now, so my gun fun budget has pretty much gone out the window, along with my plans for a long range target/varmint rig.

But, just because its not going to get built, doesn't mean I don't like talking about optics.

I have since put a 10 fixed power SS on my AR .223.  I really like it.
the SS is so sharp and clear  I believe it is a little sharper than my Zeiss Conquest 3-9.  
Plus I love the mil dot (vs. plain duplex)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 11:01
Excellent findings Atomic.

OP still around????

No one
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 14:25
right now I am real interested in the Sightron siii 1-7 x23  for my 8mm mauser sporter, and or for my Savage 99 in 250 Sav.

neither one of these rifles are scoped at this time. but I would like to scope them.  wouldn't need tons of magnification with either of these rifles especially with super sharp glass.  And, I think I like the small objective lens look for these 2 rifles.  

I have not had the opportunity to look through a sightron siii yet.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 15:56
I have one with the Standard 4a plex if you want we could work something out.

No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic