OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Buckmaster 6-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Buckmaster 6-18
    Posted: September/29/2011 at 12:57
Who has milage with one?  Good? Bad?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 12:11
Nobody?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 12:22
CT might have... he worships on the Nikon alter... sacrifices goats (and other things we can't mention) to Nikon, I think...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 12:32
He's been absent the last few days so I'll give him a few more than I'll text him and see.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 06:04
I've only looked through one and that was awhile back. I really can't recall much about it. I did have a really good experience with the 4.5-14x Buck Master, as I told you and would heartily recommend it.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 08:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I've only looked through one and that was awhile back. I really can't recall much about it. I did have a really good experience with the 4.5-14x Buck Master, as I told you and would heartily recommend it.   

I have the 4.5-14 also, I've enjoyed using it on a couple .223's. But like I have said before, I only have a couple decent scopes to compare.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 08:45
I have a friend who I will see later today that swears by them I will ask if he has that particular scope.

It might be a little high as he is usually a 39'r.
No one
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 11:40

I have several years' experience with Nikon Buckmasters on my varmint rifles. Have a 4.5-14 and the 6-18X you're asking about. Can say the 6-18 is probably one of the best deals out there in that $ range: non-Chinese built, repeatable 1/8" clicks, extra target turrets and sunshade included, decent glass. (In fact, I recently purchased a Monarch, thinking it would be an improved Buckmaster; big disapointment there, but that's another story.) Won't focus down real close, if that's an issue, but IMO Nikon's side-focus is one of the better ones in the business. One caveat, however, that's been repeated here before: there is a bit of "tunnel vision" with these higher-X, SF Buckmasters. If you are annoyed by the sensation of a scope view that sometimes seems like looking down a 1" pipe, make sure you get a thorough first-hand view through one before buying; I've learned to live with that "feature" after looking at some of the alternatives in that range. Also, Nikon's CS isn't doesn't have the best rep, but overall I'd still recommend that scope. Plus, you can take picture with that free camera they're offering while you are waiting, if you do have to send the scope back. Wink

Toad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 14:52
I have about 1K rounds through my 7mm-08 using that scope. I have the mil-dot model and let me tell you... I did about 3 months worth of research before buying that scope and every time I pull the trigger I am happy with my purchase. I will echo what lewwetzel said, I think its just about the best for the money spent. I will also echo this comments about having a bit of the tunnel vision at higher mag ranges, but its really not that bad to me. I think the glass quality is great for the price. The guy I usually shoot with has a 10X SS (non hd) and I personally think the Buckmasters glass is better. The eyebox is certainly more forgiving on the Buckmasters too.  I installed the target turrets that come with the scope as I manly use this rile at the range, although it does pull double duty in deer season on the edges of large forest service clear cut areas. Be advised that the clicks are 1/8, so be prepared to do what seems like a lot of turning if you are shooting at longer ranges, but you get used to it after a few hundred rounds. The side focus is very handy and I like it much better than the adjustable objective scopes I have had in the past. I don't the think the focus ranges are exactly spot on, but, I am blind as a bat without my glasses and my perceptions may differ from other folks that have 20/20 vision.

If you are looking for honest personal opinions I think it is a definite "buy" for the money spent. The glass is good, the turrets work well, the focus is user friendly and I would give the overall build quality of my example a 9 of 10. FYI, mine came with a coupon and I got a free mil-dot master out of the deal too...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic