OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch 3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch 3?
    Posted: September/28/2011 at 04:45
Are these new?
http://swfa.com/Nikon-10x42-Monarch-3-Binocular-P51326.aspx

I assume they are as I just did notice them now, but there is the possibility I was just slow to find them. They look pretty awesome. I like how they reduced the bridge length making for a closer center of mass on the tripod exit. It also gives it a look much like the EDG.

Has anyone tried these out? The FOV has been increased a little bit which is nice. I am not to sure about the silver alloy prism system. It looks like the also have attempted to fix the lens cover problems that everyone complained about.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 04:52
Monarch 3 is pretty new.  No one in my area has one yet.  I've been looking for a couple of weeks.  Hope to get my hands on one of these binoculars in the near future.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 09:43
I have to admit that I would like to try them as well...because of the shorter bridge and the silver coated prisms. I checked the 8x42 specs though and did not notice a change in the field of view. Still 330 feet. I was hoping for something notably wider so that it would compete more readily with the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

Having said that I do find both the pricing and positioning of these binoculars further interesting.

Nikon now has the Pro Staff 7 (assuming aluminum coated and phasecoated prisms etc...) priced just under $200. They have the Monarch 3 prices at around $230 (with silver and phasecoated prisms) plus they have the regular Monarch with the dielectric prism coatings priced at the usual $290 price point. So basically there is a $30-$60 price increase for a change of coating on the prisms and slightly different body design.

They are really hitting the "under-$300" roof prism market well now.
Frank
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 10:19
I like the wide variety of choices from Nikon, almost to many choices in the same price range?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 18:34
I think Nikon is counting on the type of reaction posted by Sefrrez in his OP.  Why this would generate more than a big "...YAWN..." is beyond me.  They did not increase the fov, which is the achilles heel of the over decade old Monarch design.  I see nothing here other than a original Monarch ATB with a bit different body and a new coat of paint.  These say silver coated prisms, which I'm not sure are the same as the original ATB or not.  Nikon has sat on its backside for over a decade with what will probably be recognized as a classic binocular.  When they finally "redid" it they really did nothing.  They first gave it a dielectric coating with a new designation, now they look to have figured out a way to repackage an oldie and sell even more of them.  I suppose that works for the Nikon corporate bottom line, but it "don't do squat" for customers Smile.

For the same price, a Minox BL (among others) will kick the butt of any Monarch.  I had a Monarch for years.  We just got a new optics dealer here locally that carries Minox and the BL is one they have, I got my first good look today, hence the comparison.

Edited by Klamath - September/28/2011 at 18:45
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 19:25
Those are some underwhelming specs, I agree.

I am very excited to see the Zen Ray Prime HD, however.

-Matt
Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 22:50
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I think Nikon is counting on the type of reaction posted by Sefrrez in his OP.  Why this would generate more than a big "...YAWN..." is beyond me.  They did not increase the fov, which is the achilles heel of the over decade old Monarch design.  I see nothing here other than a original Monarch ATB with a bit different body and a new coat of paint.  These say silver coated prisms, which I'm not sure are the same as the original ATB or not.  Nikon has sat on its backside for over a decade with what will probably be recognized as a classic binocular.  When they finally "redid" it they really did nothing.  They first gave it a dielectric coating with a new designation, now they look to have figured out a way to repackage an oldie and sell even more of them.  I suppose that works for the Nikon corporate bottom line, but it "don't do squat" for customers Smile.

For the same price, a Minox BL (among others) will kick the butt of any Monarch.  I had a Monarch for years.  We just got a new optics dealer here locally that carries Minox and the BL is one they have, I got my first good look today, hence the comparison.

I was referring to the 10x42. The field has indeed increased, ...a little..., as I said. The FOV is 299ft/1000yd vs 288ft/1000yd - or 5.7 vs 5.5 degrees. It is very small, but my statement still stands correct. And no, I am not comparing with the Monarchs before the Dielectric coating.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 23:02
Originally posted by Sefrez Sefrez wrote:

I was referring to the 10x42. The field has indeed increased, ...a little..., as I said. The FOV is 299ft/1000yd vs 288ft/1000yd - or 5.7 vs 5.5 degrees. It is very small, but my statement still stands correct. And no, I am not comparing with the Monarchs before the Dielectric coating.
The fov of the 10x42 Monarch was 314', but you are right in that the difference don't mean squat.  What I was referring to in your reaction was the fact you said it looked like the EDG.  It does, and by design I think.  If it looks fancy it must not be much different from the fancier glass.  That reaction will sell a lot of "new" Monarch 3's, or so Nikon hopes.  It really doesn't matter much either which Monarch either IMHO.  The Monarch 3 is still  like an old Monarch with a new paint job.  Not much difference to be had.  Too bad because Nikon missed a good chance to create another classic.  Not picking on you specifically...just pointing out my perception of others perceptions Smile.

EDIT:  Maybe I need to correct myself...somewhat.  I see where the Nikon Monarch is now listed as 288 feet.  However, when it came out the fov on the 10x42 was 314'.  I have no idea, nor do I really care much, as Sefrez pointed out, it is pretty small...one way or the other.

Edited by Klamath - September/30/2011 at 23:09
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 00:56
Yeah, I assume they made it look like that for that reason. But I know, myself anyway, that you are not going to get the EDG binocular for the price of the new Monarch. So I do agree with you that it is their way of getting attention. Nevertheless, taking that away, I still think it looks pretty awesome. But not that I would buy it. :)

The EDG now, I would like to have, if I could.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 09:09
Before I say there is no difference, I would like to look.  It will be an indicator, to me, of the veracity of Nikon.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 17:48

I completely agree here.  In fact, the phrase, "putting lipstick on a pig" comes quickly to mind.

Actually, nothing Nikon has offered (whether in cameras or sport optics) for the past 10-15 years has done anything but made me yawn.  Even the EDG line doesn't do anything for me.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2011 at 16:03
I'm getting confused by all the different Monarch models. I thought the Monarch 3 was an upgrade from the Monarch with Dielectric coatings...but they are actually two different models I guess. I've always liked Nikon, but I agree...nothing recently from them grabs my attention.
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 13:23

I had Monarch ATB dielectric coating, and Monarch 2 with the dielectric prism.  FOV says 6 on ATB and  5.5 on Monarch with the dielectric coating. I had them side by side. I did notic the image color is deeper with Monarch dielectric coated. Other qualities are the same to my eye. Ofcourse they come with difference style bag, strap, lens cap, rubber coating etc. Later I sold my ATB. I would guess Monarch 3 may have improved image quality, even may be hard to notic unless have them side by side and look really hard.

Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 13:28
I also had Bushnell legend HD once and one of lower model Leupy (sub $300). Monarch is the most forgiving to look through to me.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 20:38
Originally posted by Seamaster Seamaster wrote:

I also had Bushnell legend HD once and one of lower model Leupy (sub $300). Monarch is the most forgiving to look through to me.

Seamaster:

Good to see you reply here, "but" your avatar is most annoying, and so it makes most anything you post
suspect, and very hard to read.  Have you thought about that?  Big Smile
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 23:22
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Seamaster:

Good to see you reply here, "but" your avatar is most annoying, and so it makes most anything you post
I actually thought that if that's what those binoculars do to your eyes, I want nothing to do with them Big Smile.
Steve

Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2011 at 13:13

Seamaster:

[/QUOTE]
I actually thought that if that's what those binoculars do to your eyes, I want nothing to do with them Big Smile.[/QUOTE]
Thanks to point that out.

I am here to share my personal opinion. I hate to see people dump their hard earned money base ob internet raves.

Sorry my English not so great, sometimes could be hard to read.
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2011 at 13:18

Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Seamaster:

I actually thought that if that's what those binoculars do to your eyes, I want nothing to do with them Big Smile.
It could be just my eye. But image cricle is much larger with Monarch which makes easy on the eyes.

Glass on Bushnell HD is very good, one of the better one for the price range. But it is very hard to look through, does no tmatter how I adjust them.
Sefrez View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sefrez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 01:35
I assume you are talking about eye relief. I have heard complaints about that. I know the relief on the 10x42 is a little on the low side. Though, still, some have said it seems to be less than that stated.
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 16:16
FWIW, Joanie at OP gave them a very good review and was very pleased with them. Take out of that what you will...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic