OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sporting Clays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON GUTS KELLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sporting Clays
    Posted: September/27/2011 at 21:22
Another of my  SS10X RF shooting range updates.

I took out my .308 cal. model 700 with a SS10x rear focus riflescope I bought recently. 
On one of the fellows here at OT's advice I set up clay pigeons at 200 yards as a personal challenge for myself. Something I'd never done.
I figured bullet drop and turned my clicks UP on the elevation turret.
I expected to hit some...
I set up four clays two times and ten rounds later I had busted all eight!

I've shot and hunted all my life. 
I have owned some good rifles and  much more expensive optics.
I have never had this kind of out of the box repeatable accuracy!

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 21:23
Good shooting.

Now go out further and keep going at it.
No one
IRON GUTS KELLY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON GUTS KELLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 21:35
Thats the plan man! Thanks.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 07:24

Swing by some yard sales or thrift stores in the area and see if you can't find you some old dinner plates.  Works the same as clays but a bigger target and with those move out to say....... 600yds or so.  Big Grin

Empty milk gallon containers filled with water make for some fun shooting too.Wink
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 07:47
bowling pins work well and you CAN SHOOT THEM OVER AND OVER AND OVER.stop by the local lanes , they usually have some they will give or sell you thats been scratched or dented. I also use baloons taped to a 2x4 for the kids out to 500 yards. I try to make them stay down on the scope untill they see'um pop, but nothing beats the sound of steel at 500 yards.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 08:46
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

bowling pins work well and you CAN SHOOT THEM OVER AND OVER AND OVER.stop by the local lanes , they usually have some they will give or sell you thats been scratched or dented. I also use baloons taped to a 2x4 for the kids out to 500 yards. I try to make them stay down on the scope untill they see'um pop, but nothing beats the sound of steel at 500 yards.
Brandon,
That's a clever idea. I going to do that for the wife. That's something she would enjoy.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 08:53
Skylar, you can also drill the top of the bowling pins and hang them from a stand or limb and shoot them, they are heavy enough not to move in the wind but most any centerfire round will make them react to show you a hit.  They are extremely tough too.  I have one that has taken over 50 300 win mag rounds and is still together.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 09:11
G,
That's cool.
I was thinking about the ballons.
She doesn't like anything that is a heavy caliber. I was tuning the Remy 700 .300 win mag last night and after one shot with ear muffs on she got in the truck with the radio on.
She wasn't having anything to do with that.
Then she made some homeade cupcakes and I brought the extras to the office today.
She's a good sport.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic