OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Fullfield Tactical? sub $500 tac?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wydt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Fullfield Tactical? sub $500 tac?
    Posted: January/30/2006 at 07:46

Looking for a "sub $500" scope for a Savage 10FP .308 and would really like to keep it under $400. Any comments on the Fullfield II Tactical?

I've seen all the reviews of the SuperSniper and it looks impressive but I'd really like a variable as I'll be using it for deer at less than 100yrds as well as punching holes at 500+ yrds. I'd also like to have Mil Dot and Nice big tactical type knobs.

I'm also looking at:

Weaver Tactical 4.5-14x40 

Nikon 4-10x40 Monarch (no mil dot, no big knobs -- great glass)

Mueller Tac II 3-10x44

Any opionions on the above??

Thanks for any help!! Back to lurk/newbie mode.

Edited by wydt
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2006 at 16:50

Nikon Monarch makes a 3-10x40mm with a mil dot, if your interested.

No "gucci" tactical knobs though. Sorry.

Buckmaster also comes with a mil dot and side focus.

Welcome to The OT!!

And forget about all that "Newbie" stuff too. That's for the "other" forums....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2006 at 17:29

In that price range there are several worthy contenders.

Nikon Monarch is quite nice.

SIghtron S2 3-12x42 is available with a mildot and is a bargain.

Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 with Ballistic Plex can be had for right around $400.

Weaver Tactical has been discontinued, but it is a very nice scope.  However, the reticle is in the first focal plane which is perhaps not optimal for hunting.

Weaver Grand Slam is worth a look if you can live without a mildot.

Burris Fullfield II are nice scopes, but under $400 you can get better glass.

Mueller scopes are not in the same class with the scopes above.

ILya

wydt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wydt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2006 at 18:58

Thanks for the replies guys!! Very nice to be able to ask questions and get opinions of the experts! I really appreciate SWFA putting up this forum!

I've actually been doing some more research and found those Nikon's with the mil dot and also a Zeiss Conquest with a mil dot and Burris Euro Diamond 30mm tube with Ballistic Plex (not mil dot I know but it's something).

I've kind of whittled it down to this list... which weren't even in my original question...

Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope mil dot ($499.00)

Burris 3-12x50 Euro Diamond 30mm Ballistic Plex ($484.95)

Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select ($438.95)

Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope mil dot ($389.95)

Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Ballistic Plex ($339.95) (comes with spotting scope!)

Nikon 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster Riflescope mil dot ($279.00) (side focus)

I'm inclined (please correct me if I'm wrong!!) to think from my reading that the Zeiss Conquest and Burris Euro would be similar in optical quality then the Nikon Monarch, Burris Sig. Select, Fullfield, Buckmaster in that order.

Decisions, decisions....

Edited by wydt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 04:27

Correct me if Im wrong but these are HUNTING scopes  NOT  TACTICAL scopes. In the under 400 price range you have two choices that make sense.  One is Leupold Mark 4   3-9x40 PR  and the other is Super Sniper 10X42 M withthe side focus both right under $400.  There is a difference between a hunting scope and a TACTICAL scope.

Hunters set the point of inpact at a given distance usually 100 or 200 yds. Tactical scopes may be set at 100 yds distance for Law Envorcement or 600 yds for Military snipers.  From there you range the distance to target and using information on your trajectrory you dial in the clicks to adjust MOA to place the crosshairs on target allowing for windage correction and elevation correction. Then after shooting you return to your known Zero and get ready to do it again.  HELLO ---  the scopes you mentioned do NOT have target type knobs so you cant do that. They may be great glass and of the above the Burris  Euro sounds nice but compare it to a Burris Tactical there is a reason they make these scopes the way they do.   Even a Leupold VX-III would allow you to dial in the correction and return to zero.  The quality of the glass is not as important to a sniper as the ability to make the bullet strike at a repeatable point every time. Super Sniper is not as good of glass as Zeiss Nikon and Leupold but they are a bullet proof tactical scope and they will work every time.  Thats --  EVERY time.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 10:55

Quote from Urimaginaryfrnd:

>>

Then after shooting you return to your known Zero and get ready to do it again.  HELLO ---  the scopes you mentioned do NOT have target type knobs so you cant do that.

>>

And you can't do that without target type knobs because.....????

The scopes above have pretty repeatable adjustments that are just as good as Mark 4 3-9x40PR and, for the most part better glass.

Mark 4 3-9x40PR is a VX-II with cooler looking turrets and higher price.

Also, Burris Tactical scopes are relabeled Burris Euro/Black Diamond with cooler looking turrets and higher price.

Manufacturers are trying to milk the tactical craze for all it is worth, by relabeling/slightly modifying their scopes and charging more money for them.

ILya

wydt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wydt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 08:13
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

HELLO ---  the scopes you mentioned do NOT have target type knobs so you cant do that.

Actually, the Nikons and some of the Burris DO have target type turrets. They just aren't the HUGE "tactical" type. The Burris that don't can be fitted with them from Burris or with an aftermarket target knob. I have pretty much eliminated Burris however as I really want a mil dot reticle.

I'd love to get a IOR or a Nikon Tactical but I can't justify doubling the price to get "cooler" big tactical knobs.

What I'm looking for is the best bang for the buck in a tactical type scope. Tactical to me means Mil Dot and finger adjustable repeatable MOA settings. I belive the Nikons can do that.

Edited by wydt
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2006 at 14:56

"under $400 "................................................. ....................... SS10X yes      Leu3-9MK4PR yes  Nikon yes

"I'd also like to have Mil Dot and Nice big tactical type knobs......SS10X yes     Leu3-9MK4PR yes   Nikon no

"I'd really like a variable "..........................................................S S10X  no     Leu3-9MK4PR yes   Nikon yes

Call the manufacturers that made them, and ask if the following scopes are hunting scopes or tactical scopes.

6539 Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope Nikon 3.3-10x44 Monarch UCC Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $399.95

LEU56860 Leupold 3-9x40 Mark 4 PR Riflescope Leupold 3-9x40 Mark 4 PR Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Target Knobs

SWFA: $399.95

The best bang for the buck is the Super Sniper 10X and no its not too much scope for your inteneded purpose.

Koshkin - last I heard a VX-II was just fine for "deer at less than 100yrds as well as punching holes at 500+ yrds"

Ive shot deer at over 600yds with the bottom of the line Leupold 3-9 scopes in Texas in the 60s and 70s.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2006 at 16:24

Urimaginaryfrnd,

I never said that thet VX-II was not suitable for the application.  As I've stated numerously, Leupold makes some nice scopes.  Unfortunately there scopes tend to be very overpriced.  It does not make them bad scopes, just not a whole lot for the money, especially as fas as glass is concerned.

Oh, and I am still curious as to why you can;t return to zero without tactical knobs.

If your heart is set on Leupold, by all means get one.  They offer a huge number of different models and if you have some sort of very specific requirements, then Leupold very likely has something close to what you need.

However, as far as I can tell, there is nearly always something with better glass for the money, and I am very picky about glass.  I've never been particularly crazy about adjustment accuracy of Leupold scopes either.  It is not bad, but not great either for the Leupolds I've tried.

ILya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2006 at 17:21

Oh, another good option would be a Sightron S3 3.5-10x44MD which has a Mil Dot and exposed target type knobs on a 30mm tube.  I think it can be had for around $500 new and I've seen them on Ebay going for about $400 in NIB condition.

ILya

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2006 at 18:48

koshkin -- I gave him what he asked for in his initial posting.

"under $400"  "I'd also like to have Mil Dot and Nice big tactical type knobs."

That sounds to me like a Super Sniper but he is concerned that he needs a variable  "but I'd really like a variable"

So the PR is a valid recomendation for a "Savage 10FP .308 " which is a police sniper rifle not a hunting rifle not that you cant hunt with it.    http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm

Granted there are many options for you in this price range.  I'll be the first to admit that the PR glass sucks I recently compared it to lower quality than my $30 tasco. They put the money in the target knobs. But I also have a MK4 8.5-25 illuminated that is a fine scope and a 10x M3 that is a fine scope but he is not in that price range for a $1300 + scope.  My 20X Super Sniper is no better glass than the PR but it works very well and has great target knobs.  Repeatable accuracy is much more important to a sniper than the quality of the glass. A sniper scope has to work every time.

As far a Nikon goes I saw one today that I really like and would love to put on my .375H&H (but he didn't say $600)   

6616 Nikon 1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope Nikon 1.5-6x42 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 30mm
  • 120 MOA adjustment range
  • very nice easily adjustabel short target style knobs

SWFA: $599.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2006 at 19:42

I have no problem whatsoever with your recommendation. PR is a solid scope with some strengths and weaknesses.  I suppose the point I was trying to get across is that you do not need tall tactical looking knobs to have accurate adjustments.  For example, some of the best adjustments for repeatability that I've seen are in Sightron S2 and Weaver Grand Slam scopes.  They have normal heght knobs, but are nevertheless more accurate than any Leupold I've ever tried.

If he must have tall knobs than PR is certainly a good choice.  However, in a later post it seems like tall knobs are not as necessary, which makes PR a much less desirable choice.

ILya

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 00:59
I think I would be inclined to put a Super Sniper 10x on the gun. I have one of these rifles in .308 with the 20 in barrel that I have a Leu Mk4 10x M3 on, and I think the 10 x Super Sniper would be an awesome choice at a really reasonable price. It will work just fine on deer at 50 to 100 yds or long range. I dont think he needs a variable. The 10x comes on target very fast.   If he can spend twice the money the Nikon Monarch Gold scopes would be great scopes.  I can't say too much about Sightron as I do not recall ever seeing one on our sniper range or in any of the many gun stores I  have been in which makes me a little reluctant to buy one. I will say that almost every tactical scope that I have ever seen on the 1000 meter sniper range at Camp Dodge has been Leupold.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic