OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Better bargain 3-9x40 Viper or 4200?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better bargain 3-9x40 Viper or 4200?
    Posted: September/27/2011 at 15:23
I am setting up a rifle for my son this year and want to update the glass.  Since both the Vortex Viper 3-9x40 and Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 have been discontinued and are available for incredibly low prices I was leaning towards them.  I have a couple of Vortex Vipers but have never handled the 3-9 variation.  I have no practical experience with the 4200 and have always shyed away from Bushnell in the past.

I doubt there is a lot of difference in the quality of these two scopes but from what I've read the 4200 may edge out the Viper optically.  The Viper on the other hand has the awesome no-fault warranty going for it (no telling what may happen to that scope in the hand of my 8 year old).  Once concern is eye relief as I am mounting the barreled action from my own first rifle, a beautifully stocked Weatherby Vanguard VGX in .243 into a Knoxx Axiom stock to take advantage of the adjustable LOP.  This stock has some recoil absorbing features that collapse the stock slightly upon firing so I need to make sure the scope I go with has adequate eye relief. 

What would you do with your $?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 15:26
Viper, you know what your getting and they have the excellent CS to back them up
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 15:44
I have the Viper 3-9x, and my dad has the 3-9x 40mm 4200 (which I bought for him). The 4200 3-9x 40mm is a hybrid with 4200 body and glass and 3200 adjustments.

The Viper has far superior turret adjustments. It's zero resettable with fingers only and  has very easy to see adjustments that seem to be repeatable so far.

The 4200 3-9X budget model has the 3200 line's dial adjustments, rather than the typical 4200 series semi-target turret. They're basic cheap finger adjustment dials that you can find on most lower end scopes, the difference being that they're repeatable unlike most of the cheap scopes with a similar external appearance. They're serviceable, but not something you can dial-an-impact with.

I found the 4200 glass to be slightly superior to the Viper in resolution tests on a USAF chart, but not by much. It is really,really nice IMO.

The rainguard on the 4200 is really nice. Bushnell wins there.

Eyebox and eye relief are pretty close on both of them.

Both have quick adjust eyepieces, so a wash there.
The Bushnell is a shade lighter than the Vortex, but not by much. (I generally don't care about weight on scopes, which probably explains why I don't usually choose Leupolds).

Vortex probably wins the customer support race, but both have lifetime warranties on paper.

If you want a scope for hunting in rotten wet weather and you really,really want good resolution, go Bushnell.
If you want to dial your impacts and you want a great warranty, go Vortex.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 16:18

cj,
  If your looking for more eye relief for him you could go with the 2-7x32 Viper (3.7"-4"). 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 17:11
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

cj,
  If your looking for more eye relief for him you could go with the 2-7x32 Viper (3.7"-4"). 
As far as bargain. 300 nailed it.
we have the Viper 2-7x32 for $149.95 currently on closeout.
And Svt said it the best in relation to Vortex CS. They are a great company to work with.

cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 18:24
I just sent a Viper 2-7 down the road on a rifle I sold - I guess I could have pulled it off but it went well with the gun it was on.  I found it to be a dandy little scope and I was one of the few that bought it at close to $300.  I think I'll peruse the Sample list and see what catches my eye or seek out the afforementioned Viper 3-9.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 18:48

I wouldn't rule out the 3-9x40 4200. Quality optics and a tough scope .  Been ALOT of them sold and still selling.  As far as eye relief goes some here have them on some heavy kickers with no problems.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 19:28
I always hear how great Vortex' CS is. It's really nice that they will take care of warrany issues, but it makes me wonder how so many know of their great service.

It seems that everyone says it's great.

Does everyone have that many problems with their scopes?

or

Is everyone repeating hear say ?

I've been thinking of a PST myself but I'm worried about problems since it comes up a lot.

Please set me straight.

Thanks,

EAGLE

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 20:42

I'm sure you know good CS not only invovles the hassle free repairing/replacing and quick return of a product but also how quickly and in what manner they respond to a customer's (or even potential customer's) inquiries.  Vortex earns high ratings in all catagories.  A couple of them post here every once in a while and that's saying something.  Kinda like putting your head on the chopping block. But they've been most helpful and are nice guys to boot. Now of course I can't quote you figures on how many customers have had product problems but I can say that the few I've read of have been satisfied with Vortex CS.  I've even read of just a few customers whose product failings were their own fault.  But again they came away satisfied.  Hopefully you'll get some replies from some with first hand experience in dealing with Vortex CS.  I can tell you I'm more than satisfied with my Viper and if I can do some wheeling and dealing real quick I will have another.   
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 08:43
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

I always hear how great Vortex' CS is. It's really nice that they will take care of warrany issues, but it makes me wonder how so many know of their great service.
It seems that everyone says it's great.
Does everyone have that many problems with their scopes?
or
Is everyone repeating hear say ?
I've been thinking of a PST myself but I'm worried about problems since it comes up a lot.
Please set me straight.
Thanks,

EAGLE

Eagle,
I was referring to how fast they respond to question, email, and how prompt they are to answer the phone.
They have been very helpful on both a personal and professional basis.
Their courteousness is what I was referrring to. They have a great product at significant values much like we do here at SWFA with the SS line up. It is exceedingly difficult to find the some product for the amount of money that others charge for.
Plus the PST is a very versitile riflescope, it can be used for more than just tactical uses.
For me it's like trying to pick which one is your favorite child. I love the SS 3-9 and how it preforms and vice versa. I would prefer you bought the SS 5-20 HD Excellent.
but I do not believe that you would have any issues out of the PST, I think it would serve you very well.
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 10:13
Eagle -

I actually do have first hand experience with Vortex Customer Service and I came away very impressed.

I purchased a scope online at the last minute for a rifle that I wanted to take along on a hunting trip just for the purposes of getting it dialed in and trying out some different ammo when I didn't have to pay range fees to do so.  Upon getting the scope the box was not sealed and the scope had a very faint dent on the objective bell as if it had been dropped on a hard surface (likely at the retailer).  I contacted the retailer who promptly sent an email to Vortex including me in the string.  Within 10 minutes Vortex had sent me a tracking number for the replacement scope they were sending out via FedEx for early AM delivery the next day.  They knew I was leaving for my trip that afternoon and they got a new scope in my hands in less than 24 hrs.  They also said to send back the defective (cosmetically) whenever I got around to it since I'd be busy heading out on my trip and provided return shipping labels that covered all costs.

I can't think of anything more they could have done to replace a product whose damage was not even their fault.

Having typed this I think I just talked myself into getting a Vortex scope of some variety for the rifle I spoke of at the beginning of this thread.
johnfox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 18:31
I've got four Vipers, one 2-7x and three 3-9's. For the money they are an awful good deal.
I've also got a 4200 3-9x and it's a very good scope also but at the current pricing on the Vipers, I don't think they can be beat.    
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2011 at 13:19
Ended up getting a great deal on the Minox ZA3 3-9x40 w/ 4a reticle.  The 4"+ eye relief helped seal the deal as I was worried about him getting bit by the scope.  The $50 rebate on an already reduced price helped make the decision as well.

Thanks for everyone's input even though I ended up going in another direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic