OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.300 whisper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZenMan101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .300 whisper
    Posted: January/29/2006 at 16:45

Hello, Im new to this forum, and would like some advice. I have recently bought an Ar-15 chambered for the wildcat cartrage .300 whisper. It shoots heavy subsonic bullets out to 500 yards. I am looking for some quality optics with ether mil-dot, or some other kind of range estimation rectical for it, and saw at a leupold mk 4, but was looking for something a bit more on the less expensive side. I saw the Leatherwood camputer ART scope, but im not sure it will work for my cartrage. Can anyone help, and dose anyone else have experiance with this cartrage. Any advive will be MUCH apriciated. Thanks

Bill  

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 19:22
A whisper is a 22 fireball necked up to 30 caliber, and is less ballistic efficient than a 7.6 x 39 AK. If you think an AK is marginal at 300 yds cut that in half and you have a whisper. Virtually no subsonic cartridge is good at 300 yds. especially when it's subsonic at the muzzle. The whisper is best when used with a silencer inside closed quarters and as such is probably better than a 9mm. The rainbow on this cartridge's trajectory would require some serious shimming to the rear mount to get enough "lift" on the end of the barrel to put it on target at 500yds.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2011 at 11:54
500 yards from a Whisper (subsonic) will be a stretch - to say the least.
Subsonic ballistics get ugly as hell at range, but...

What is your budget for an optic?  My recommendation is FFP with at least 5 mils of drop on the reticle, 15 is better, especially if you plan to punch paper from afar.

My experience has been with the IOR 2.5-10 FFP and the SS1-4.  I'd set the gun up and play with it before investing heavily in a long-range optic (as I think you'll be disappointed in the 500-yard performance, if you can get out that far.)

A great option would be the SS3-9 with new diamond reticle.  The mil dot will work but isn't ideal (since you will be using small portions of a mil allot) and the elevation range is generous - which your Whisper will need.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2011 at 08:01
Try the Bushnell Trophy XLT (shotgun scope) with DOA 200 reticle which works perfect for the 300 Whisper/Blackout baseball trajectory
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2011 at 04:35

How exactly are you using the DOA 200 reticle?  Which hash mark are you using for zero and at what distance, and to what distances do the other marks correspond?

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic