OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR Spartan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR Spartan
    Posted: September/22/2011 at 13:37

IOR 2-12x36 Spartan Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot IOR 2-12x36 Spartan Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 212366
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8 Dot
  • 35mm
  • Free IOR 35mm Medium Rings w/ Purchase
  • Elevation knob calibrated for 168gr .308 NATO Trajectory out to 800meters
$1,279.95 
Add IOR 2-12x36 Spartan Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
IOR 2-12x36 Spartan Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope Illuminated CQB IOR 2-12x36 Spartan Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 212632
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CQB
  • 35mm
  • Free IOR 35mm Rings w/ Purchase
  • Elevation knob calibrated for 168gr .308 NATO Trajectory out to 800meters
  • Reticle calibrated for 62gr .223 out to 800 meters
$1,279.95 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 13:38
Anyone give me the skinny on these? Personal use?  Thoughts?  anything similar that would be better for an AR or FNAR? 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 14:05
Haven't used either, but a few observations.

1.  I don't like calibrated turrets unless they are printed with my data ( Kenton comes to mind.)
2.  I understand the rational for calibrating turrets and reticles to mil-specific ammo, but don't see why they offer a calibrated turret and a calibrated reticle.  I would personally want either reticle or turret to be some common angular measure, mils or MOA.
3.  The 35mm tubes have given IOR problems in the past.  I understand most of those problems are behind them, but I hesitate to buy their 35mm tubes.
4.  The MP-8 reticle is among my favorites, great design, very useful.
5.  IOR FFP scopes usually tunnel at the bottom, that bugs me.  Not sure if these do, but I would verify before buying - especially if tunneling bugs you too.
6.  12X with a 36mm objective makes for a scope best used in direct sunlight or not at max power.

I have owned many IORs over the years, liked most of them.  I'd be OK with something calibrated on the scope, but would never buy that second iteration in that setup, even if I had a 308 and/or .223.

Buy one and give us a review.

What are you doing with the AR and/or FNAR?  At that price, it is very near the 2.5-10x32 Nightforce, which is a nice little scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 14:21

Mainly just an intel dig.  Thinking of a future build/purchase and options. 

They would both be more "zombie" guns than anything else.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 14:44
My general advice for civilian ARs is as follows: a good 1-4 or Aimpoint, unless used for hunting.

In a "defend home and life" scenario, you ain't taking 500 yard shots, why scope with something built for engaging targets way out there?  A zombie 500 yards away is not a threat (unless they are the "28 days later" zombies, then you are screwed regardless of your range capabilities.)

My personal opinion: a 223-cal defense AR is no place for a 2-12 or the likes.  Quite often, too much scope is far worse than no scope at all. 

Opinions vary.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 16:06
IOR's 2-12x36 is a SFP scope.  It is at its best with MP-8 reticle in a DMR role.  The BDC turret is reasonably well calibrated for 168gr and 175gr and can be easily enough adapted to 77gr SMK 223 rifles out to 600 yards.

Reliability wise, I am not aware of any particular problems with the 2-12x models (I used to own a 2-12x32).  Higher magnification versions had some problems, but they seem to have been largely resolved. 

2-12x36 has 3mm exit pupil at highest magnification which perfectly usable in broad daylight.  In good light you'll want to dial magnification down of course.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 16:25
SFP with calibrated reticles?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 16:53
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

SFP with calibrated reticles?

At a single magnification, obviously.  Happens all the time.  As you recall, I am find the concept of holdover reticles in SFP idiotic, but they are the rage these days, so I may be alone on that.

ILya
HisDivineShadow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDivineShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 11:19
Sorry to bring up this topic but I had some questions about the IOR. I am pretty new to scopes and I've used mostly iron sights. However I want to put a scope on my AR-15 and the 2-12x36 seems like an interesting choice, from what I've seen anyway it looks pretty compact given it's magnification range which is a plus. 

Now it's designed for .308 but as far as I understand it, there's nothing stopping you from finding out what each elevation setting corresponds to wit your rifle/ammo, right?

I do some IPSC shooting and just general shooting at targets most of the time with my AR and I would be interested in a scope that would be a good multi-tasker, the 1.5-8x model IOR has is also interesting, though from the FEW pictures you can find of a mounted Spartan, it looks like the 1.5-8x is almost as large so not sure if there's a point in going with that one. 

Anyway I think a 2x lower might not be that big an issue, I was considering an ACOG TA-11 before I found out how hard they where to acquire when you are in not in america (I am in Finland).
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 13:19
Originally posted by HisDivineShadow HisDivineShadow wrote:

Sorry to bring up this topic but I had some questions about the IOR. I am pretty new to scopes and I've used mostly iron sights. However I want to put a scope on my AR-15 and the 2-12x36 seems like an interesting choice, from what I've seen anyway it looks pretty compact given it's magnification range which is a plus. 

Now it's designed for .308 but as far as I understand it, there's nothing stopping you from finding out what each elevation setting corresponds to wit your rifle/ammo, right?

I do some IPSC shooting and just general shooting at targets most of the time with my AR and I would be interested in a scope that would be a good multi-tasker, the 1.5-8x model IOR has is also interesting, though from the FEW pictures you can find of a mounted Spartan, it looks like the 1.5-8x is almost as large so not sure if there's a point in going with that one. 

Anyway I think a 2x lower might not be that big an issue, I was considering an ACOG TA-11 before I found out how hard they where to acquire when you are in not in america (I am in Finland).

The turret on the 2-12x36 is indeed designed for the 308Win, but you can figure out what range the holdovers correspond to for any cartridge.  The numbers on the turret might not match, but you can probably figure out a way to relabel them if you are so inclined.  If you shoot heavy bullets in your IOR (mine likes the 77gr ones), then the BDC is actually pretty close especially if you sight in itnelligently.

Between the 1.5-8x26 and 2-12x36, the difference in weight is minor, but in terms of size the 1.5-8x26 is a fair bit shorter and more compact.

Keep in mind that IOR now also has a 1-10x26 and there is a simpler 1.25-10x26 coming that will make a nice alternative to the 1.5-8x

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 13:34
Looks great...except for being an IOR.....Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 13:39
Haters gonna hate...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 14:04
I shudder to think I almost bought one of these. Not because it's an IOR, but because of the SPF/BDC ridiculousness. How 'bout "Wanna Likers Gonna Pass"?
Reaction time is a factor...
HisDivineShadow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDivineShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:05
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Keep in mind that IOR now also has a 1-10x26 and there is a simpler 1.25-10x26 coming that will make a nice alternative to the 1.5-8x

Yeah the first one is too costly for me, the latter one sounds interesting though, if they can get the price down. 

TBH I would be happy with a 1.25-6x or 8x as long as they kept it in a small package, a 30mm tube would be nice.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:11
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Looks great...except for being an IOR.....Big Grin
There's the Cheap trick I know.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:20
The math is pretty straightforward... I don't find it a problem...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:22
I, like Koshkin and many others, do really like the IOR MP-8 reticle. Had two of them. 

Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:23
Mark, I seem to remember this conversation, it's like deja vu.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

... all over again...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

My dislike of IOR is well documented, my friend.....but I digress.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic