OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shopping for new ones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shopping for new ones
    Posted: September/21/2011 at 12:22

Looking for new binos, they will be used on whitetail and hopefully an elk and sheep hunt.

In the 10x43mm range and a price range of $400-$600, is there anything out there that exceeds the Zen-Ray Zen ED3 10x43mm binoculars?

ETA: How does the Bushnell Elites in 10x42mm compare in terms of optical quality and ruggedness?

Edited by Stud Duck - September/21/2011 at 13:06
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 13:26
The original Bushnell Elite (open hinge) was a very nice binocular.  The E2 sucked, IMO.  I have not seen the Elite ED, but it sure looks like the E2.

I would say the Zens are hard to beat here.  If you can find a pair of Meopta Meostars near your price range, they are a little bit better, overall.
-Matt
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 14:41
I have zen ed II 10x43 and leupold gold ring 10x42 (or is that 43).  got a great deal on the GRs--both are very good for that price.  Leupy's are a little more sturdy in terms of feel, but I have used both very hard with no problems.  deer season here is aug 15 to Jan 1 and my son and I hunt often with both--
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 20:43
Nothing really exceeds the ZEN ED 3 in its price class.  The Theron Wapiti APO ED and the Kruger Caldera emerge as equals, and those are pretty much the cream of the mid range crop.  Better add the Vortex Talon HD here too..

Wait awhile (Thanksgiving to Christmas)and the Zen Prime HD at $600 will likely knock your socks off Wink.  I'm reeeeaaaallllyyyy wanting to get ahold of one of those.

Edited by Klamath - September/21/2011 at 20:47
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic