OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

7mm or 270

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7mm or 270
    Posted: September/20/2011 at 18:30

I'm going to purchase myself another rifle and I'm trying to decide between the a 7mag or a 270. I've never owned or fired a 7mm, so this is why I ask.

The rifle will be used mainly for whitetail, but I would eventually like to go on an elk hunt and possibly a sheep hunt. From my research, the 270 rivals the ballistics of the 7mm, BUT my research has been confined to looking at ballistics charts NOT real world experience.

I have heard complaints from a few who have used 7mags on whitetail at relatively close ranges. The complaints are basically, "They don't kill" or "They shoot too fast" (resulting in a wounded animal) BUT as I said before the 270 rivals the 7mags' ballistics, which leads me to believe poor bullet placement or poor bullet performance may have something to do with the complaints.

Another question I have is are the lighter 7mag loads (110gr) bullets effective on medium size game and do the lighter loads significantly reduce the mags' recoil?

I'm well acquainted with the 270, so any info you could provide me on the 7mag would be useful.

Thanks.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 18:45
I have never experienced a failure to kill mule or whitetail deer at any range with the 7 mag. I would never use a light bullet for in 7mm at those velocities, either. I think that is begging for a blown up bullet and failure to penetrate. I look at the ballistics charts too, and I don't see where the .270 matches up with the 7 mag. Both using the heavier bullets.
Doug
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 19:04
I have a 270 and would not hesitate to shoot any of the game you mentioned with it. I would probably give the 7mm the edge in the heavier bullet department since it can easily launch a 175 gr bullet while the 270 tops out at about 150-160. Not sure this makes the 7mm that much more effective but it is an edge. Also if you reload you can always load the 7mm mag down to 280 or 7mm/08 speeds. If I was concerned about the recoil I'd just go 270 and be content but I am not really a magnum fan anyway. Really I 'd find the rifle I liked best and let that decide.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 19:42
Both are excellent all-around cartridges.  The 7mm takes the edge on flexibility.  I have found 7mm mag recoil to feel similar to 30-06 recoil in similarly weighted rifles.
-Matt
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 22:41
I am a fan of both and own both, the 7mm is my primary large game rifle and the .270 is my backup.  The 7mm will do everything the .270 can do and maybe a bit more, but you pay for it with ammo, weight and recoil.  In the end, it is always going to come down to the shooter, my advice, go handle both, see which one you like in your hands, then it is just about finding the load and bullet your rifles likes.
mlv2k5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlv2k5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 00:52
For hunting purposes at any kind of reasonable (read ethical) range, there is nothing that a 7mm Mag will do that a .270 Winchester can not, IMHO. Some people are of the more dead is better camp, and to each their own, if you can handle the recoil of a 7mm mag as well as a .270 and don't mind the extra cost of ammunition then by all means go for it. But for whitetails, sheep, elk, or anything else you should find yourself potentially hunting with a 7mm, I would wager you could do it just as effectively with a .270, .30-06, 7mm-08, .308, .260 etc. Thin skinned animals do not require a cannon or some magic bullet to be taken cleanly right where they stand. You just need to be able to accurately place a bullet, and do so reliably. 

For me, the choice really comes down to individual rifles. If you plan to buy a current production factory rifle and have the choice of either caliber, then I would personally go with the .270 because I don't like enduring extra recoil if I don't have to and you can buy a much lighter weight .270 without being beaten to hell by magnum recoil in the process.
-Michael
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 04:56
When looking at the heavy for caliber bullets; 150 gr in the .277 and 175 gr in the .284, the difference is substantial on larger game like elk and bear. The .270 has an S.D. of .279 and the 7mm has .310. When both are driven to around 3000 ft/s the difference in momentum and penetration is quite large. For those inclined on K.E., the difference is close to 700 ft/lbs.
For deer sized game I would take the .270. Adding bear and elk, the 7 mag. Since the .260 was thrown out there, that is what I have carried for deer the last three years. The reduced recoil over the 7 mag and 30.06 is appreciated. The .270 is also low on recoil unless it is in an ultra-light.
Doug
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 05:47

I've got a .270 Win and had a 7mm Rem magnum.  Except for a bit more recoil with the 7mm (as BB says,about like a .30-06) your getting a bit more powerful cartridge with it over the .270 Win. Here are some figures I ran through the calculator real quick that may put things into perspective.  These are assuming both rifles are alike.  Of course how a rifle fits you,it's design,and how you handle recoil will determine felt recoil for you. 

Both at 8lbs. 
    .270 Win w/150gr at 2900fps = 17.8 ft lbs
    7mm Rem magnum  w/160 at 3000fps = 21.7 ft lbs.

For more perspective here are the figures for my .300 w/ the rifle weighing 7.75 lbs and my
     9.3x62 at 8.75 lbs.
     .300 w/180 at 3118fps = 31 ft lbs
     9.3 w/270 at 2410fps = 28.5 ft lbs.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 08:30

I appreciate all the advice. With me, recoil is not an issue, I'm still young (relatively) and in good physical condition, I've never been recoil sensitive, even when shooting 300Win Mags; I can stand to put 20rnds down range.

I was set on a 7mm-08, but I found a great deal on a Browning A-bolt and it is forcing me to choose between the 270 or the 7mm.

On another note; has Browning ever made a Composite Stalker without the BOSS, chambered for 7mm-08? I've checked their catalog, website and even surfed GunBroker without finding this particular version. They do manufacture this rifle in the X-bolt, but I do not like them.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 08:54

According to my Blue Book they did.  You know we're talking the A-Bolt II right?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 09:36
I own both and like the 270 better.I have killed several deer with each.I did have one instance which caused me concern a few years ago with the 7 mag.I shot a 7 point from about 20 yards with a 150 grain factory load.The shot was nearly a perfect broadside and the buck dropped in his tracks.There was an entry wound in the center of the lungs but no exit.The lungs were destroyed but when I skinned the deer I found a large chunk of the bullit near a hind hoof,just under the skin.I've always had nice big exit holes with the 270.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

According to my Blue Book they did.  You know we're talking the A-Bolt II right?
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear.

ETA: PM enroute

Edited by Stud Duck - September/21/2011 at 11:52
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 15:57
Another vote for 7MM here, although you couldn't go wrong with either.
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 07:34
IMO finding the "perfect rifle" that you feel comfortable with is going to be more important than the difference between the 270 Winchester and the 7mm Rem Mag.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 10:02
7mm you  can push a slightly heavier bullet slightly faster and have slightly flatter trajectories :P  either will serve your purposes.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 12:14
IMO the 7mm mag is a lot of gun for deer, especially whitetail.  I have shot a few mule deer with mine, it really tears them up.  I shot an elk once 3 times with mine.  Exit holes were the size of baseballs in his ribs.  I hit him in the back on the third shot and it took a chunk of meat and backbone out the size of a softball.  That was 175 grain remington corelocks.

Since its primary use is white tail, I would probably go with the 270.  No matter what some say, there is a substantial difference in power between the 270 and the 7 mag.  One is a mag, one is not.  Yes others might kill just fine, but regardless it is still bigger and more powerful.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:17
What about the 280 Ackley?  7mm performance with lower recoil and higher cool factor Big Grin
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:32
The OP is obviously trying to decide between the 7mm and 270., I suggested the 7mm as I believe its the better choice, however, I find the good old 30/06 to be an excellent round, and more than likely would choose it over either the 270. or 7mm.
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 16:08
I am with ebow86, I have hunted for 30 years with my 30-06, and use 180 gr pills for everything, from whitetail to moose. The 30-06 has a tame recoil, IMO, and a little more of a hole punch for the bigger game. I have just stepped up to a 300wsm because I want a little more speed for a bit more range from my tree stand, and because I wanted another lighter gun. The 30-06 m77 will be used as a back up, and by my son untill he decides what he wants, but will never be for sale. I just hope he doesn't want the -06
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2011 at 19:44
Either is a great choice.  I tend to lean towards the 270 for deer hunting.  That is what I used for years, and still do for deer.  140 gr bullet.  Works great every time.  And I shot an elk with it as well.  Killed it fine.  It all comes down to shot placement.  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic