OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

another new scope quandry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another new scope quandry
    Posted: September/20/2011 at 16:45
I'm likely driving CFII crazy so maybe y'all can help! This is somewhat unique and I'm trying to get all compromises satisfied (as much as possible).

Rifle= Ruger 1B 300 WM with Near Pic rail. It's already rather heavy, so I did not really want a 18-20 oz. "hubble" scope adding to the weight. I'm not worth a crap whirling dials, so I figured some sort of holdover reticle would suffice. Originally I was thinking a top end of 12-14X would be good but most everything with that range is heavy (17 ozs. and up). I'm looking at Leica 3.5-14 X 42, Swaro Z5 3.5-18 X 44 but they are a bit much $. The new Leupy VX6 looks good on paper, but is heavy and only tops out @ 12X. The Bushy 6500 2.5-16 X 42 is heavy too (17ozs.) but better $. The Conquest 4.5-14 X 44 is also 17+ ozs. Don't know if Kahles will have something upcoming.

Then I start freaking about the weight and am looking at some pretty light weight Minox scopes that look o.k. But some reviews on them have been less than flattering. I like Sightron scopes, but I already have two. The new Viper HS look o.k. but are also heavy. I can always go back to the old 3-9 X 40 Conquest but that seems so "blah / normal".

I love good glass, but the budget is getting out of whack so I need to tread lightly (as possible). What am I missing?  Loco

So, any suck-gestions?

Edited by bugsNbows - September/20/2011 at 16:47
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 17:10
"Suck-gestions"..........hahahaha....GO GATORS! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 17:26
Swaro Z3 4-12x50 w BRH.
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 18:09
If you REALLY want the glass, you have to carry the weight.  We're only talking ounces here...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 18:14
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

If you REALLY want the glass, you have to carry the weight.  We're only talking ounces here...

Very true. I'm likely over-thinking again. Must come with old age.

Anomymous
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 22:49
Honestly, I think the Conquest is a great option. It sounds like you really don't use the perks of more expensive glass like having nice turrets that are repeatable and track well. Heck, if you are on a budget why not save some money and get the Conquest? Or even something like a Burris FFII? Yes, it's not in the same glass quality as the rest of them, but it's no slouch either, and seems to meet the rest of the criteria you have perfectly. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 06:28
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

Honestly, I think the Conquest is a great option. It sounds like you really don't use the perks of more expensive glass like having nice turrets that are repeatable and track well. Heck, if you are on a budget why not save some money and get the Conquest? Or even something like a Burris FFII? Yes, it's not in the same glass quality as the rest of them, but it's no slouch either, and seems to meet the rest of the criteria you have perfectly. 

Interesting comment there. Perhaps you misunderstood my thought process. For this particular application, I did not want to spend a ton of money. I already own a S&B, 3 Swaros, a Conquest, a Trijicon, a Leupy VX3, 2 Sightrons, 1 Vortex and several lesser scopes. I'm fully aware of the importance of good glass, mechanical quality and also value per $. It's all a compromise. I was just hoping folks may offer suggestions which I had not considered as of yet.

Anomymous
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 06:43
+1 for the Swaro Z3 4-12x50 w BRH  Spend the money and never look back.  I bought one this weekend for my Remington VSSF .223
D. Holmes
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 07:06
I think the new Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 weighs like 13.?  oz. might check the weight on the Vortex Diamondback.

Edited by magshooter1 - September/21/2011 at 07:06
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 10:42

I'm just going to throw them out there, you've already mentioned Leica and there are two lightly used ones on the SL for a steal, I believe I can tell you what two knuckleheads used them on a hunt, as in one,  if I am recalling those two correctly.  Either would be awesome.

But the new swaros good too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic