OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

glass for 270 win

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rightwingnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glass for 270 win
    Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:03
I picked up my new Savage 114 American Classic in 270 win,  now I need new optics.  Gonna be used mainly on whitetails with the opportunity to shoot to 400 yards. I have narrowed my search down to the following 4 scopes.  Budget is $400-$500 and im gonna use Talley LW rings. 

Minox 3-9x40 w/BDC                                  $418.95
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 w/Z plex               $399.95
Sightron 3-9x42 SII Big Sky w/holdover    $433.95
Vortex 2-7x32 w/Versa plex C3                 $149.95

I have a Vortex 2-7x32 on my 338 Marlin and like the scope and price.  I have no experience on the other scopes. 270 win with 130 gr should shoot pretty flat so I dont know if I need any sort of holdover/BDC reticle.  Im open to other suggestions if I have missed something.  Thank you in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:10
I'd have to go conquest if you want the best glass of the bunch.  If you want a very servicable scope that will still leave your pocket full the viper is hard to beat as you know.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:10
For 400 yards a holdover reticle would make a difference for me.

The Minox or Sightron would be my choice for a 114 in .270.  The Rapid-z reticle in the Conquest bumps the price quite a bit.
-Matt
rightwingnut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rightwingnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:45
Ive been splurging lately...why stop now.  I treated myself to a nice bottle of Johnny Walker Blue last week and bought my wife a S&W 642 .38 SP +P yesterday when I picked up my 270 win.  I see i could get a Swarovski 3-10x42 Z3 w/BRH for $898.95 and know that im looking thru about as good as it gets.  What say you?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:50
That Swaro is a winner. I have it on a Cooper 25-06. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 12:44
+1 on the Swaro,you will never be sorry!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 12:45
I have a Swaro Z6.  Glass is fantastic, if you got the money I would jump on a Swaro.  I can't wait for the elk hunt this year to try mine out.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ArtP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 14:34
Originally posted by rightwingnut rightwingnut wrote:

Minox 3-9x40 w/BDC                                  $418.95
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 w/Z plex               $399.95
Sightron 3-9x42 SII Big Sky w/holdover    $433.95
Vortex 2-7x32 w/Versa plex C3                 $149.95

All your choices are good ones, and I have nothing to add to that.  I do have an opinion on BDC's though.  Without looking at my ballistic sheet, in a handloaded 130gr. .270 that is a slightly down from max load, I use 16 come-up clicks to change my zero from 200 to 350 yards - might take 8 or 10 more clicks to get to 400 yards.  I find using the turrets, as long as you don't have too far to go, a better solution for long shots vs. BDC.

I don't think it's a big deal if one uses BDC or "clicks", it just opens up more scopes at a given price point if BDC is not a fixation.  I think in a hunting scope the boldness of the reticle certainly matters.  The ZC has one very nice reticle for hunting - it's between a medium and bold duplex.  I'd rather have a heavy or medium duplex than BDC.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 15:13
I think the 6x42 Leupold FX3 with long range duplex makes a lot of sense for a hunting gun and should be considered mainly because all of the above will be brightest in low light around 6x and at 6x the Leupold FX3 balistic reticle - long range duplex will work where 3-9 scopes with a BDC are typically used at 9x and what you get at somewhere around 6x can be a challenge to figure out.
I also really like the 3-9x42 Super Sniper with mil quad but if I was limited to the choices above I would want the Zeiss Conquest.  Having said that I will also admit having put a 2-7 Viper on my musket because I needed the 120 moa of internal adjustment  to get on target.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 07:27
Minox 3-9 with BDC @ $249.99 Sample List
Price is good glass is good.

Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 09:33
I don't understand the modern day hunter's infatuation with dots, hashes, turret twisting, etc.  Take that .270 for instance.  You load a good bullet @ 3200 fps, sight it in @ MBPR 3"high @ 100) and hold on hair out to 320 yards.  A slight holdover kills game @ 400 yards, all with a duplex reticle.  I've been big game hunting for 39 years, and can count the deer I've killed over 350 yards on one hand.  The 3 biggest mule deer I've killed (190", 190", 214") were all killed within 150 yards.  I guess I'm too old fashioned to see the need for dots, etc.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 11:09
JG,

I will always take the more precise method.  Holdover reticles allow for careful placement at longer ranges.  Personally, I think good holdover reticles have led to better shooting, and less lost animals.

The mule deer I shot this year was at 335 yards (no wind).  Shot distances like this, and further, are not unusual in the high alpine country of MT.  There was no way to get closer.  Just open rockslides (and snowfields) between me and him.  It was nice to know that my bullet was going to land right where that first holdover dot was.

Like you, JG, I have made a lot of good kills with standard reticles and "Kentucky" holdover, but my confidence is higher with a holdover reticle, after having practiced extensively with them. 
-Matt
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 18:54
SVT +1 of the ones you mentioned. One caveat the viper will require a 1pc base or extension rings most likely as the savage actions are pretty long.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 14:06
I can see for 20 miles or more in the open country I hunt.  There's always a way to get closer.  It may take a few hours to cover 500 yards, but there's always a way.  Nobody can ever reliably figure out a swirling wind.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic