OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's regarded as the toughest most durable scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What's regarded as the toughest most durable scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's regarded as the toughest most durable scope
    Posted: September/19/2011 at 01:15

I've been out of the "optics game" so to speak for quite some time now, but I was wondering what is generally considered to one of the toughest most durable scopes that money can buy nowadays? Price being no object.

ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 02:22
Schmidt bender Police Marksman line is as about good as its gets, the 5-25x56 PM II is nothing short of out of this world incredible......its however bout 3500 bucks
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 04:04
Wow, just did a quick search, their line of scopes are indeed incredible.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 08:24
NightForce,U.S.O., Henny's, Premier all have a  very rugged reputation as well. The Vortex razor is also developing one. There are several others as well that aren't in stratosphere as far price goes. If you have a price range and a options list we will try to help...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 09:52
Fixed powers from most manufactures are usually very reliable, also add the Supersniper line of scopes to the "toughest" list.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:42
Anything mechanical can/will break.

Leupolds break more than most.

My top 2 for durability are Premier and Nightfroce.  Others have broken both, I have yet to break either.

Hensoldt is best all-around, followed closely by Premier, in my opinion. But Hensoldt isn't as bomb-proof as Premier, or mine wasn't.  

S&B makes a great scope, but they too fail.

If your primary concern in tactical optics is which will not break, you are doing it wrong.

I'm just say'in!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 12:54
RC ,Hens wasn't? She is gone?

I own the Premier LT & it seems to be holding up very well on my T/C .460mag. but that's not a 50 either.I have broken 2 scopes on that rifle.

Welcome to the OT Ebow !

Edited by stickbow46 - September/19/2011 at 12:56
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 13:20
Henny went in for repair, it is back.  I love the scope, but it broke.  It wasn't abused and it wasn't on a heavy-recoil gun, the illumination system died - and I understand many have.

I like the Premier Heritage so much, I have a LT on the way, I have high hopes.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 16:40
What about the SS line from SWFA?  Not the most expensive out there, but all in all I have never really heard of them breaking.  They are tested and approved for .50 cal.
Stumbling upon a thread saying a SS scope broke is very rare - at least I haven't seen many if any that I can recall.

Hard to beat for the money.  Priced way below many of the alpha scopes.

ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 03:15
This doesn't suprise me at all, there are several suggestions here for toughest most durable scope. I guess it might be too difficult and too broad of a question to pin point one specific model.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 20:54
US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOST10A
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$1,589.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/20/2011 at 20:54

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:07
I haven't seen any mention of some of the big european brands like Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski, how do these scopes stack up against the one's currently mentioned?
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:26
Depends on what the scope is designed to do.  My vote goes to Trijicon ACOG's.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 21:38
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Henny went in for repair, it is back.  I love the scope, but it broke.  It wasn't abused and it wasn't on a heavy-recoil gun, the illumination system died - and I understand many have.

Hensoldt has always had a problem with illumination... 
Works great, so far, on mine but it is always a concern to me.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 21:40
Originally posted by ebow86 ebow86 wrote:

I haven't seen any mention of some of the big european brands like Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski, how do these scopes stack up against the one's currently mentioned?

Hensoldt is the mil spec, "hardened" Zeiss...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 07:26
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Really, you would think a semi good production scope would work as advertizes. What a junker.... First of next week i'm sending a gaylord of used scope to the recyling center. shot it to me and I'll get you a nice door stop or parper weight out of it. Then I bet it will work all the time..Big Smile 

No wait, you can't do that. Thats your wifes scope, NO NO, never mind, SHE bought it for you.......Cool

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 07:53
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Really, you would think a semi good production scope would work as advertizes. What a junker.... First of next week i'm sending a gaylord of used scope to the recyling center. shot it to me and I'll get you a nice door stop or parper weight out of it. Then I bet it will work all the time..Big Smile 

No wait, you can't do that. Thats your wifes scope, NO NO, never mind, SHE bought it for you.......Cool

Shocked
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 08:34
The ZF6x42 on the PSG-1 was always "inop".  Only thing about it I didn't like.  Then sometimes, it would just "come on".

The Hensoldt ZF6-24x72 that MY WONDERFUL WIFE purchased FOR ME, has never given me any problems, but it has not seen high usage.  I don't use illumination much, anyway, but there are times when it is good to have.  I hope mine never fails, but would not be surprised at it. 

yes, you would think a halfway decent scope maker like Zeiss/Hensoldt could at least make the IR work.  Maybe one of these days they'll get their act together.  Until then, I guess I'll just have to depend on my wife to make my major scope purchases for me.  If she keeps trying, maybe she'll get me a good one...

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 08:56
European buys you better glass not a tougher scope.  Combat Optics like the Aimpoint Comp M4s and the Trijicon ACOGS are designed for abuse.  Fixed power scopes are typically able to sustain the most abuse and continue to function so a fixed 6x or fixed 10x is a rock solid choice. If you want a top quality scope that is tough think Heinsoldt or U.S. Optics or Nightforce, or Premier. If you want to save some money and have a tough scope look at the Super Sniper scopes.   Just remember scopes are glass so there is a limit to how tough any of them are.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 09:01
The scope used here is a 6x42 leupold FX3 Competition Hunter and the rifle is a Kimber Montana. The video does debunk the idea that one had to have a bull barrel and do special break in  to hit long range targets. One does however have to have eihter open tactical or covered target knobs to dial in correction at long range and as you can see his balistic chart is taped to the stock.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope Target Dot Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66825
  • Matte
  • Target Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$469.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/19/2012 at 19:48

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic