OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

neck-sizing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neck-sizing?
    Posted: September/18/2011 at 00:13
I am a relative newby to reloading, and I am interested in trying neck-sizing as a way of preserving my brass. The cartridge I am shooting is the .300 WSM, and brass is kind of expensive. Currently I am full-length re sizing every time. I.E. the press is set to cam-over. I have read several articles on partial full-length sizing, and neck-sizing, and was wondering which do y'all prefer? 

And if you do prefer neck-sizing, which die do you use? 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2011 at 03:45
Neck-sizing for ammunition shot in only one rifle. 

Lee collet dies.
ArtP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2011 at 08:11

Usually neck sized ammo fits the chamber a little tighter.  Brass that has been fired once in any given chamber is "fire formed", meaning enlarged to fit the chamber almost perfectly.  For the this reason it can be more accurate than full-length sizing (not significant), yet it can also be more difficult to chamber. As was mentioned above, Nd's ammo shouldn't be interchanged, because of slight chamber dimension variations in rifles.

For any sort of dangerous game, you would want to FL size, and some believe in FL sizing for any hunting just to eliminate any potential feed issues in the field.  because a bolt action rifle has very strong camming action when chambering a round (and extracting), it is the only action you would want to NS for (single shot okay too).

I use Lee collet dies to neck size.  They are a little unique in the way they size; they squeeze the neck around a mandrel and require NO LUBE (I hate lubing).  This method works the brass even less, are among the cheapest dies on the market and, IMO, without going to a very expensive competition die, do a superior job.

I have bought Lee 3 die sets; NS, FL and bullet seater.  I'm very happy considering a paid around $25-30 per set.  I wouldn't mind having a better seating die though.
Black n Tan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black n Tan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2011 at 19:20
I neck size using the Lee Collet die. Works great, havnt measured run-out, but my ammo is very accurate. I believe Lee recommends you size your case 2x, turning the case 180 degrees on the second pass.
At one time I did try using my FL dies to partial resize. I guess it worked, just wasnt a real fan of it. I just backed off the die so it didnt squeeze all the way down the case. From memory I am thinking it was 2 full turns.

I FL size with Forester or RCBS, but neck zise with the Lee Collet. The Hornady Loc rings are the way to go IMO.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2011 at 21:33

Advantages:

-Helps prevent over working the brass.
-Helps prevent brass stretching caused by full length sizing which ultimately reduces triming and re-chamfering the case mouth.

Disadvantages:

-Only for one specific rifle.
-No good for auto loaders.

Even with neck sizing, ultimately the shoulder will have to be set back.  This can be done with a FL sizing die, a FL neck sizing die or a shoulder die (aka "bump" or "body" die).

May have missed a few...
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 01:47
Contrary to popular opinion, neck sizing can work very well in at least some semi-auto and pump rifles.   I have used it exclusively in a Remington 742 semi-auto, and in a Remington 7600 pump rifle (both in .30-06).  I used brass that had only been fired in the specific rifle for which I was reloading, and have never had a problem. 

There are a lot of misconceptions out there in the shooting world, and this might be one of them. 
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 02:27
I'm not a firm believer in neck sizing alone. I'm also not a firm believer in full length resizing.
I'm afraid with neck sizing alone, if the case fits tight in the chamber, and you can feel it when you close the bolt, any ammo that you loaded without runout, probably has some now. My current set up is to size just the case body with a Redding body die, (which doesn't touch the neck) and then neck size with a Lee collet neck sizer die. I set the body die to just bump the shoulder back .001-.002", and do this everytime, so things are consistant from one loading to the next.
This has worked for me so far, but keep in mind, I'm new to this as well, and by no means an expert.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 12:01

For a hunting rifle I would recommend annealing the brass.  Brass gets hardened from being worked and annealing should allow longer brass life.

dsr
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 12:06
I've had the best luck doing a partial-FL resize using Redding Type-S dies without the expander ball. You need to choose the bushing ring size that will give you the desired results. In other words, the bushing diameter controls the neck tension. I chose to go with a bushing that would reduce the neck size more because I wanted a little extra tension. I don't want bullets changing their seating depth in the field. I set the die to partial-FL .002".

Why partial-FL? Neck sizing only doesn't counteract brass flow in the rest of the cartridge. That's especially important in the shoulder area of the cartridge because most centerfire cartridges headspace off the shoulder (an exception being belted cartridges). If you get brass flow there then you will run into problems like trigger29 mentioned. Think of partial-FL as neck-sizing with a little extra bump to the shoulder area. Done only a couple thousandths, it won't undo the fire-sizing much and it won't work the brass like FL-resizing does.

Yes, with anything other than FL-resizing you'll limit the brass to that one rifle but that's alright if one of your goals is to tailor a cartridge and load to a particular rifle for the best accuracy. I maintain a two-box system for each rifle's brass so they don't get mixed with brass for another rifle in the same chambering. One is marked dirty (fire X) and the other clean (X) where X is the number of times the entire lot of brass has been through that rifle. I do that to keep track of it so that after 5 firings the brass will all be annealed to overcome work-hardening from firing and reloading.
Reaction time is a factor...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 12:18
I use a full length hornady bushing die for my .308.  It also is capable of bumping back the shoulder where most bushing dies do not do that.   

In my case I have to full length resize as my chamber is so tight I cannot shoot neck sized only brass.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 17:25

Another proponent of the Lee Collet Neck Sizer for the neck and the Redding Body Die when you need to push the shoulder back.

If you neck size only the case will develop a crush fit by the 3rd or 4th firing and that is when you need to bump the shoulder back but only a minimum amount like .001".  If you push the shoulder back too far everytime you will increase your odds of getting a case head separation and reduce the life of your brass by thinning at the pressure ring.

Now with the 300 WSM you may get a crush fit sooner than that because of the low body taper and the high pressure of most of the factory loads.  If so then you will not be able to neck size only because you will get a crush fit sooner than normal cases like the 30-06.

My recommendation is to get a Lee Collet neck sizer and a Redding Body Die and then you will be able to neck size when wanted or size the case body and push the shoulder back when needed.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 20:24
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, neck sizing can work very well in at least some semi-auto and pump rifles.   I have used it exclusively in a Remington 742 semi-auto, and in a Remington 7600 pump rifle (both in .30-06).  I used brass that had only been fired in the specific rifle for which I was reloading, and have never had a problem. 

There are a lot of misconceptions out there in the shooting world, and this might be one of them. 
Never heard of neck sizing working consistently in a gas gun.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 20:49
[QUOTE=tjtjwdad
Never heard of neck sizing working consistently in a gas gun. [QUOTE] 

You have now! 

YMMV depending upon what you are shooting, and your own reloading practices.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 16:47

You're right..."heard".  Good luck to ya"

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 19:22
Originally posted by Black n Tan Black n Tan wrote:

...The Hornady Loc rings are the way to go IMO.
Yes. Mount a Lee lock ring underneath the Hornady ring.
When you have it all cinched down and adjusted in the press, tighten the Hornady lock ring and you'll have the best of both worlds.
Some people believe locrings w/a rubber o- ring keeps the die aligned straighter in the press.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic