OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Montana High Country Mule Deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 08:22
Beautiful, thanks for posting.

I've always wanted to hunt out West; I'm torn on where to go and what to do, Canadian whitetail, sheep, elk......so little time and money! Big Smile
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 08:23
8shots: Hear hear.Big Smile
After a few frostys it gets even better.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 10:14
Thunbs Up
Great hunt with some risk of failure or great rewards.
Don't envy your trip out, that had to be a gut buster.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 10:25
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Thunbs Up
Great hunt with some risk of failure or great rewards.
Don't envy your trip out, that had to be a gut buster.

Mid gut bust:

The Eberlestock is loaded to the gills with meat, head, cape, antlers, and camp about half way out.  My partner's load was about the same.  Its good to have good friends, especially when they are marine veterans.
-Matt
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:00
When I see that picture, I think:

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:20
Man, the mule deer is heavy enough to pack out. Mule is not that good, so why would you want to pack out a pack mul......................never mindBucky
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 11:53
Right On!!!ExcellentExcellentExcellent 
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 21:10
Very very nice! Wish I could be out there right now. But I do that with horses. In fact that area looks familiar, but hard to say.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 21:48
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Very very nice! Wish I could be out there right now. But I do that with horses. In fact that area looks familiar, but hard to say.

My partner and I both have good pack stock.  We just couldn't get where we wanted by trail, and didn't have anyone to monitor the stock while we spiked out.  So the horses were at home getting fat while we were working like mules.

Still worth it.
-Matt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2011 at 08:48
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

My partner and I both have good pack stock.  We just couldn't get where we wanted by trail, and didn't have anyone to monitor the stock while we spiked out.  So the horses were at home getting fat while we were working like mules.

Still worth it.
Now that's a huntExcellent
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 16:33
You might want to go back and edit those photo's and blur out the mountain behind you.  I know where that is...

Nice buck BTWExcellent

I don't think I'll make elk season this year, but the later part of deer season I might.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 17:27
Originally posted by Thundey Thundey wrote:

You might want to go back and edit those photo's and blur out the mountain behind you.  I know where that is...

Why would I photoshop the peak out when I already photoshopped it in to send would-be sleuths on a wild goose chase!

Seriously, I would be interested to hear your best guess (PM only please!). I don't ever mind sharing the mountains with hunters that are willing to work as hard as you have to in order to hunt that country.
-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 18:11
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Why would I photoshop the peak out when I already photoshopped it in to send would-be sleuths on a wild goose chase!

Seriously, I would be interested to hear your best guess (PM only please!). I don't ever mind sharing the mountains with hunters that are willing to work as hard as you have to in order to hunt that country.

I'm just messing with you about where that is, however it is real similar to a couple spots I used to pack into when I lived in MT.  Just thought maybe you should use a little caution, as there are those that would look for that specific place.  Google earth is an SOB.

Any way I'll send you a pm.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 18:41
Staying away from the grizz too hopefully.  Friend of mine was just involved in a grizzly attack  a 'ways' north of here.  He wasn't injured but the guy that was with him got killed.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 19:16

Staying away from the grizz too hopefully.  Friend of mine was just involved in a grizzly attack  a 'ways' north of here.  He wasn't injured but the guy that was with him got killed.  

That story is all over the news right now.  Sad, sad story.  There have been a bunch of grizzly fatalities this year.  I think its time to put out some tags.

As far as somebody finding that spot, it could happen ... but it is a bit remote, and if people want to put in the effort ... more power to 'em.

-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2011 at 23:08
The 3-1-__Wink

Yeah it is unfortunate what happened.  The media is spinning it like crazy.  Lots of misinformation floating around.  Lots of the anti crowd going berserk.  It sucks even more cause we were going to be headed up there this past weekend.(friday night) hunt Saturday.  One of the few weekends I could squeak away this fall.

Hopefully the fish and game doesn't bend "T" over, he's a good guy, and comes from a good family.  I've known them my entire life, and they're practically my family too.  I'm not going into much detail, but it is a tragedy for both sides here.

My condolences to Mr. Stevenson's family.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2012 at 14:49
Well here is the mount, finally finished:

-Matt
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2012 at 15:21
Awesome pics and a great buck Bitterroot.  Congrats on a hard earned and obviously very fulfilling hunt.  Thanks for sharing with us flatlanders!  
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2012 at 17:01
Awesome Matt! Congrats! Excellent
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2012 at 11:12
Very nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic