OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Color me impressed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color me impressed.
    Posted: September/16/2011 at 22:02
Funny thing, I stumble upon MadOgre.com one day last week just looking for some AR-15 type talk, and I end up buying a SS 3-9x42 (group buy) as a result.

I can't exactly remember the path I took from one website to another to get here, and to be truthful I had no intention of buying a scope at all.  But y'all made it sound like so much fun that this ol' boy had to be a part of it. 

Two things that impressed me though, really, were the regard with which the well respected members here hold SWFA (making it easy to part with the cash) and the fact that I ordered my scope yesterday and got it this afternoon.   I am a Houston resident so I guessed I'd get it quick, but damn, that's on the ball. 

Wish me luck mounting it and the rest, I am a babe in the woods...but I am chomping at the bit to get to the range this weekend to get it zeroed at 100 at least. 

Oh, and for the record, this is temporarily going on an AR-15 but may end up on a Rem 700 XCR...at least until I can stomach the cost of the SS 5-20 bad boy. 

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. 
"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people." George Mason
02Silver View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 00:17
I read more than I post but welcome to the OT.  My 308 has the SS 10 HD and I am very pleased.  I'd like to compare the 10 to the 3-9 for my low tech comparison.
SWFA is a fine company.

Don't even start looking at Samplelist....you have been warned!

This site will cost you money though.  The lowest cost of my scopes used to be the high end.  (3-Monarch 6x42's)  One bought from SWFA regular and the other two from SL.  Now I have become one of those crazy people that spent over 1000 on a scope (Leica).

Richard

Edited by 02Silver - September/17/2011 at 00:22
3ohate View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 10:19
Originally posted by 02Silver 02Silver wrote:

I read more than I post but welcome to the OT.  My 308 has the SS 10 HD and I am very pleased.  I'd like to compare the 10 to the 3-9 for my low tech comparison.
SWFA is a fine company.

Don't even start looking at Samplelist....you have been warned!

This site will cost you money though.  The lowest cost of my scopes used to be the high end.  (3-Monarch 6x42's)  One bought from SWFA regular and the other two from SL.  Now I have become one of those crazy people that spent over 1000 on a scope (Leica).

Richard

I hear ya.  I already have another $2500 spent in my mind.  Just have to wait till the wallet catches up with my head. 
"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people." George Mason
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 12:18
The Super Sniper scopes are awesome scopes.  When you do get to the 5-20 you wont be disappointed.   WelcomeCool

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 20:41
Sounds like you'll fit right in here 308....Welcome aboard!

Oh and holding onto your wallet doesn't help.........  Light It Up
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

3ohate View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2011 at 22:33
So I finally got to take her out, and we hit the Thunder Range in Conroe, TX.  They have a 100/200 yard shooting tower there, so I thought that might be fun.  First five shots missed paper at 100 and 200 with AR and 3-9x42 SS combo, so I am down ten to start with.  Luckily for me a gent down the way from me (shooting an AK with irons at 200--and doing it well) helped spot for me to get it close.   Hell of a nice guy to do that I must say.  

Problem was I paid a guy to mount and bore sight it in advance.  Had to move up 15 and left 15 to get to paper at 100, and from then it was just a matter of walking it in a bit (another 10 up and 15 left).  It may not mean much coming from a newb, but I really liked looking through that SS.  It was both clear and forgiving. 

For the record, this stuff is not as easy as the Sniper's Hide youtubes make it look...and by easy I mean great equipment and excellent technique.  Can't say that I have either, but I'm going to give her a go anyway. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2011 at 23:56
ohate hence the title Optics GrassHopper Smile

Welcome to the OT & keep comming back!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
3ohate View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 08:32
Ha-ha, truer words...

Going back out today.  Going to be patient.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 10:28
Well good luck with the patience part of it anyway!!!! Smile

I quickly gave up on having others sight in my tubes!
Bolt guns are easy...just remove the bolt....  AR platform optics are too.
remove the bolt and carrrier assembly and sight thru the bore and barrel.
I use rests as much as possible.  Once the barrel is centered to a target
then without moving the upper adjust the scope to bullseye.  This should
get ya on paper to start.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

3ohate View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 10:53
Thanks.  I will do that.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 11:10
Welcome to the OT Forums!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
3ohate View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 19:15
Thanks, bugs. 

Okay fellas, so now that I have a zero, should I remove and reset the turrets to make it easier when I need to return to zero from a move (intentional or not)?
3ohate View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3ohate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 19:58
Never mind.  Just saw that covered in another thread.  As you were....Cool
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2011 at 07:11
Oh well, back to sleep.... Sleep
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic