OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What scope?
    Posted: January/28/2006 at 21:34

I looked at the SS and it is everything I need except it is not variable. I did some searching and found the Weaver but they are no longer available. It will be used for my 700 PSS, the range will be from Arkansas deer distance "50yds" to 600 and maybe even a 1000 yards. I would go ahead and get the 10x SS but at 50 yards I think it would be a PITA to use. Any suggestions?

Omni

JPMorgan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2006 at 22:34

May I suggest a Nikon, Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm.

The eye relief is my main attraction.

The scope mentioned is what I'll be using for my Winchester model 70,  in .270 cal..

Nikon has good glass for the price.

regards,

JPM

Edited by JPMorgan
Omni View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2006 at 22:44

That looks ok, how are the turrets? From the looks they will need a coin to adjust. I was wanting something with the target style turrets that the tactical scopes use.

Omni

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 04:04

Let's try this again, JPM... 

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6469/nikon_4.5-14x40_buc kmaster_riflescope.htm

No coin turrets, Omni, but there not what I consider "tactical turrets" either.

But that's a whole lot of scope for just a few dollars!

Welcome to The OT!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 04:08

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6472/nikon_6-18x40_buckm aster_riflescope.htm

Here's another option, with high target turrets but with a duplex reticle.

The scope on my other post comes with the mil dot!! 

jagdkampf View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagdkampf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 13:20

I hear a variable SS may be in the works but remember if you are using the mildot as a ranging/compensation reticle that unless the reticle is in the 1st optical plane that the inter mil distance changes with power changes.  You can compensate but it requires you go out and practice a lot at different distances and different powers. 

Randy

"intelligence has it's limits; stupidity knows no bounds"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 13:24
Originally posted by jagdkampf jagdkampf wrote:

I hear a variable SS may be in the works but remember if you are using the mildot as a ranging/compensation reticle that unless the reticle is in the 1st optical plane that the inter mil distance changes with power changes.  You can compensate but it requires you go out and practice a lot at different distances and different powers. 

Randy

Very true....

If you are actually going to "mill" your shots, you may want to consider an EXOTIC scope from SWFA.

I'm a "clicker".

Lots of features for a little money. FFP included. 

Woody72 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 17:01
 I have a PSS that I target shoot as well as hunt with. I have a 6.5-20* 50 mm LRT Leo. I like the set up. Ive taken alot of game at all kinds of ranges. I hope that helps
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2006 at 13:48
LEU56860 Leupold 3-9x40 Mark 4 PR Riflescope Leupold 3-9x40 Mark 4 PR Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Target Knobs
SWFA: $399.95

I bought one of these last week and put it on my new Encore .50 cal Muzzleloader and it is what I plan to hunt deer with next year. My EX Encore .50 cal. Muzzleloader (now my 14 yr olds) has

LEU55132 Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $679.95

The VX-III scopes are finger click adjustable but dont stand as high as target knobs or M1 knobs.

On my PSS in  .308 I have :

LEU56090 Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,349.95

And after shooting deer with a combination of musket and Bow and Arrow my 14 yr old took his 7th deer this year with the PSS . 308 with Mark 4  8.5-25 at about 100 yds after most of his musket shots were 200 yds.  Iowa's first legal rifle season.

Buy American  ( if you shoot long range you want a 30mm tube for added MOA adjustment.) 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic