OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Patrol 1.25-4 review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Patrol 1.25-4 review
    Posted: September/13/2011 at 06:55
I am very impressed with the new Leupold VXR Firedot line of scopes…

Glass is right there with the Trijicon Accupoints, a scope line I am very familiar with and are universally well regarded for glass quality and low light hunting usefulness.

Clear glass and a properly done dot that i can be just bright enough to contrast against the target without being so bright it overpowers your view like a lot of scopes are.

In general, I really like these new Leupolds, they have made noticeable improvements in glass and I put these VXRs as good if not better than the Mark 4s made in the last year.

They don’t have the twilight lens coatings but are the only ones to use their new lead free glass.  Great clarity and resolution.

This review for the 1.24-5 features:

* Exposed mil turrets with 6 mils per revolution, 3 total.
    * SPR reticle, same as the Mark 4 1.5-5 has had, 10Mil circle with has marks at 2.5mils
    * 30mm tube
    * reticle is nice and bold and well defined
    * push-buttom illumination, flashes at both maximum and minimum settings and cycles through
    * compact and light

Ok, enough talk about features, how does it work in the field?

One thing that I think will hurt their sales is the lack of a true 1x at the bottom, but in all honesty,  I don’t think that should be a show stopper.  Now, would I use this for a home defense optic? probably not, I would prefer to run and do run and Aimpoint T1.  Outside of say 10 yards I don’t have any issues with engaging multiple targets fast.  It’s not finicky on eye relief and feel I can get on target very fast and easy.  The circle is fast and the illuminated dot gets PLENTY bright even if bright Texas noon sun.  This is something I have heard a few people say it’s not bright enough but neither me nor a few friends that shot it yesterday felt that way at all.

I am running a 250 yard zero with 75/77g match ammo.  This gives me a +3″ at 100 yards with both 55g and 75/77g ammo.  The 2.5 mil hash serves as my 500 yard hold.

In short, for 3 gun use out to 250 I can run 55g 223 or 5.56 and hold dead on, and switch to heavier ammo for the 500 yard targets which are much better in the wind.

On my Wilson Combat 16″ 5.56 1 in 7 stainless I had no problem at 500 yard 12″ plates.

I plan to run this in some 3 gun matches and feel confident it will work out very well.

Please note that the lit reticle is much more obvious in person..

some pics of the Leupold Patrol 1.25-4

at 250 yards, unlit

at 250 yards, lit

500 yards, lit, the 2.5 mil hashmark is centered on a Larue resetting steel target, picture doesn't show it cleanly but it was no problem centering it and hitting with 75/77g

at 75 yards, lit
the reticle appears brighter in person

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 07:22
Excellent Nice write up.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 07:26
Thanks for the review, i've been keeping my eye on these line of scopes.

Excellent
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 07:36
Actually, one point to clarify:
The Leupold has better edge to edge clarity than the Trijicon 1-4

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 07:59
As usual, nice write up Charles!!  Excellent

I'm going to have to add this scope to the mix of one's I'm currently looking at for my AR (Trijicon and SS).  Thunbs Up

Is that the same WC lower your using for your other AR uppers (JP & WC) or did you get a complete new AR from them?

BTW: PM box is full.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 08:21
Very nice review.

I kind find very few negative reviews from real users on the VX-R line anywhere on the web.  Sounds like a well-done lineup.
-Matt
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 09:32
Is the reticle in the first or second focal plane?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 18:58
2nd focal plane

Mike, same WC lower I have been using the last two years with my 68 lower
I actually sold the comp specific uppers and am running this WC upper
wanted more of a general use 556
had no problems making hits at 500 with, so, good to go

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 15:32
Nice scope.  I have been very impressed with the VX-R line so far.

In terms of what they offer for the money, I think the VX-R's are the best scopes Leupold currently makes.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 15:47
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

2nd focal plane

Mike, same WC lower I have been using the last two years with my 68 lower
I actually sold the comp specific uppers and am running this WC upper
wanted more of a general use 556
had no problems making hits at 500 with, so, good to go

Sweet!!!   
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 16:08
Another nice write up.  How does it compare to the SS 1-4?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 17:59
have not had a chance to test the SS, would like to

Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 19:34
I have been contemplating on getting an SS 1-4 to put on a 300 BLK sbr.  From the photos you posted here it looks like this scope would be a great fit for it also.  I am curious if it is worth the few hundred savings versus the SS 1-4 kit?  

I prefer the FFP of the SS along with the Bobro mount, but I can deal with a SFP and a SALT mount for a few hundred less if the scope can compare.

I ordered one of the Mamba/mount combos yesterday to put on a GSG-522SD.  I should have it beginning of next week to try it out.  I figured for the price I had to give one a try after seeing reviews on here for it.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 09:46
I have the SS1-4 on an 300 SBR, great setup, quick on target, great balance - especially with a titanium can out in front.

I haven't used a Leupold in quite some time, might be worth taking a look at this one.  I'd love to play with the 1.1-8, but ain't interested at its current price point.

The SS1-4 deserves some serious consideration.  Some have complained that at 4X the reticle can get fuzzy or disappear if head position moves out of the sweet spot; my solution to that seems to be too obvious to warrant real consideration (if it hurts when you do that, don't do that!)

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/15/2011 at 09:47
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 09:48
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I have the SS1-4 on an 300 SBR, great setup, quick on target, great balance - especially with a titanium can out in front.

I haven't used a Leupold in quite some time, might be worth taking a look at this one.  I'd love to play with the 1.1-8, but ain't interested at its current price point.

The SS1-4 deserves some serious consideration.  Some have complained that at 4X the reticle can get fuzzy or disappear if head position moves out of the sweet spot; my solution to that seems to be too obvious to warrant real consideration (if it hurts when you do that, don't do that!)

Excellent
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 10:00
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Excellent
X's 2
I really like how Rancid has his setup, it's a killer.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 10:05
It has the cat tail now, which I highly recommend.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 10:07
They are nice, Cheap Trick just got one for his, I think he likes it, Big Smile
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 10:12
I could see where the price difference could make or break the decision to get the VX-R or the SS 1-4. The VX-R lacks target turrets and FFP but in such low mag scopes, typically mounted on a 5.56 platform does that matter much? It's a different story once you get into optics with much more magnification on the higher end and want to use a reticle to take precision shots at mid-to-long-range distances. Then there's no way I'd go without target turrets. And if the high end mag is over 10X, FFP is the way to go.
Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 11:09
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I could see where the price difference could make or break the decision to get the VX-R or the SS 1-4. The VX-R lacks target turrets and FFP but in such low mag scopes, typically mounted on a 5.56 platform does that matter much? It's a different story once you get into optics with much more magnification on the higher end and want to use a reticle to take precision shots at mid-to-long-range distances. Then there's no way I'd go without target turrets. And if the high end mag is over 10X, FFP is the way to go.

Personally, I see no need for target turrets in a scope for this type.  If I were buying an SS, I would be going for a version with capped turrets.

As far as the FFP vs SFP issue goes, that really comes down to the reticle design.

With an appropriate reticle design, i.e. something intended to work at both low and high magnification, I prefer FFP even in low range variables.  With more conventional reticles, like the ones Leupold uses in VX-R, SFP reticles are a good way to go.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic