OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ring/base recomendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ring/base recomendation
    Posted: September/12/2011 at 14:03

I need some help with selecting the rings and bases for my new set up. I have purchased a HS precision 300 wsm from a friend who did not like the kick. He is going back to a 270, and has kept his vx3 and mounts. I have purchased a Burris 2-12x40 with a 30mm tube. I would like to keep the weight as low as possible, but want very durable, hold zero mounts. I think that more meat and a wider, quality set up will give me the best support with the least presure on the scope. Am I right, and could those that know give me a recomondation.

The reason I want beafy rings is because this rifle will be packed thru the bush, up and down hills, will ride on a quad, and probably will find itself taking some (non intended) abuse. A couple of OZ will not bother me nearly as much as the wrong rings.
Your imput is much appreciated.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 14:14
Talley Lightweight Aluminum one piece mounts
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 14:16
+1 on the Talleys.  I have them on my 300 WSM that weights under 7 lbs and my 45-70.  They have held up to the recoil of those guns so far just fine.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 14:41
Talleys are no dought a great choice. Is there anything that compares.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 15:17
not as lightweight, simple, or proven
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 15:22
Talley vertically spilt steel rings are very strong. I have them on several guns up to .375 H&H and they have never failed on me.
Doug
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 15:25
Well talley was my first choice when I first bought the rifle. I really just wanted to know if I would get a better hold in rough conditions with something like badger, or Aadland, Aadmount, which were my other 2 considerations. I would sooner get it right now, rather than have it wrong when we go out for our elk/moose trip. Thanks Guys
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 15:29
you'd add a lot of weight using a mount like that vs the talleys and gain only minimal strength, that really is not required on a hunting rig
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 15:53
Thx
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 15:27
I have contacted talley, and they are recomending 738700 low. I am a bit concerned due to the ocular size on the Burris scope @ 43mm which is not much smaller than the OD on the obj bell @ 48mm. I am having everything sent in, and would like to get it right. I am thinking maybe medium rings which in talley one piece would be #748700. Would you raise ring height with the large Burris ocular in order to keep clear of the bolt handle?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 15:48
You can always use mediums but you may not get the scope as low as you can  but it would work
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 19:05
If u want the best look at Near manufactureing. they are pricey but worth every Penny. You will tear the barrel off before the rings and base move.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 20:13
Another slightly less pricey option is the Nightforce DirectMount...very light and well-engineered.
Reaction time is a factor...
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 09:54
Thanks for the imput guys. I obviously want to go as low as possible, but it appears that the  large ocular on the Burris may interfere with the bolt lift. If it doesn't I will defenitly go low.
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 12:21
Ok here I go again. I am setting this gun up to shoot out to 600 yds, and am reading about people who are not getting enough adjustment when setting up a scope. Would I be wise to use something like the Nightforce 2 piece base w/20 moa? I prefer to not use a rail, unless it won't interfere with top loading. If the Talley one piece set up will do the trick just fine, I think I am good to go.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 12:34
What scope are you using?
never mind just saw from your original post 

Yes I think you will need a "canted" base

Edited by SVT_Tactical - September/16/2011 at 12:34
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 12:36
http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

He will add what ever MOA you want to it.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 12:59
300 WSM, scope with 70" adjustment, ballistic plex reticle, 600 yards.

You don't need a canted base.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 13:16
I have a pair of Aadlund that I'm so impressed with that I'm trading in my Badger,Nightforce & Tally Tactical to get 2 more pairs.They are also light only 5 oz.& the price at SWFA is more than fair!

Edited by stickbow46 - September/16/2011 at 13:17
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2011 at 14:07
I have contacted Aadlund they can't sell to me. Unfortunatly the US government thinks that no one else in the world should have guns, scopes, mounts etc. They have a mountain of paper work for exporting such things to Canada. The only people who benifit are the big distributors, they get to control the flow, and the of course the inflated pricing up here. We can buy any scope up here, but when I tried to buy the same thing in the US for alot less money, I needed to fill out a bunch of paper work. Most dealers down there will not even sell such things to Canada because of the red tape. The big distributors win, and everyone else looses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic