OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.22LR/WMR Convertibles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaulMichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22LR/WMR Convertibles
    Posted: September/12/2011 at 12:10
Does Anybody have experiences with revolvers that swap cylinders between .22LR and .22mag?

I'm looking at the soon-to-be-released Taurus 992 6.5in with swappable cylinders and I am wondering if anybody else has experiences shooting these types of guns and if there's an optic that could pull double duty for plinking with the LR loads and taking out small game (rabbit and squirrel with the occasional coyote or groundhog headshot) with the Magnum rounds.

Also, if it would be necessary to switch off between a red dot and a scope, is there a way to make that happen easily? 

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 12:12
I have an old colt with switch cylinders.  Easy as pie to switch.  Never scoped it, never will.  Its irons are good.
ThePaulMichaels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaulMichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 12:27
I've recently come to terms with the fact that I will never be able to just focus on the front sight and trust that to work at any reasonable distance because I am a cross-eyed fool.  So to save my eyes from the hell of trying to focus on three things at once i figured I'd spend a bit and have fun shooting.

Just think of all the squirrels that would die humanely instead of from an awful heart attack and/or having bark and dirt thrown into their poor little eyes.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 17:06
 You may be better off going with the Ruger. There is not a high demand for mounts on revolvers. I know that there is one for the ruger. It may be a while before anyone makes a mount for the Taurus. I had a 6.5 " Ruger a while back and recently found a 9 1/2" Single Six convertible for $200. The Rugers shoot very well. Neither is or was scoped. I have A  friend with a scoped Ruger. I found it to be somewhat awkward to shoot to me. He had the Burris 3-12 mounted on his pistol which had to much power for me to hold still.
Welcome to the OT.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 18:31
I have two of the single sixes 22lr and 22wmr.   I think they have always done the job.

I have a Taurus Tracker in the .17hmr and i can hit anything I want at out to 150, anything.  I would not be too concerned I hate the Taurus Semi Autos but they have great fit and finish on the revolvers,  I have never had a timing issue and anything fall apart I have loaded some really hot .357's on the 6" 4" and never had any issues. 

Back to the Rimfires I believe you will not be wanting anything.

I would not hesitate on the model you are looking at.  The single sixes are cheaply made in comparison while they do the work they are not as nicely finished and their parts are no where near as robust.  The Taurus revolvers are very well made and the cost is just right.
No one
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 18:32
Dare I add I wouldn't put a scope on it they are just two easy to make hits without one.
No one
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaulMichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 08:54
This may have been the first solid endorsement of Taurus revolvers i've seen.  The internet seems to hate all Taurus products, not just the autos.

Now if only they would produce the damn thing.  Their own customer service rep just sighs and says "They keep pushing it back but right now its set to come out this month... or next month..."

Heck, it may even grace the cover of their "What's New" catalog for 2011 AND 2012.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 12:44
I was not cutting Taurus in my post. I was saying that for any new product it takes a while for the need to be financially great enough for aftermarket producers to engineer add on accessories. IE Scope mounts. Revolver scope mounts are very weapon specific because of the limited mounting location. If you need a revolver with a scope. Finding one that has mounts available may be prudent and less frustrating.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 13:03
Taurus makes a mount that is for the Trackers.  They attach through the vent ribs on the barrels.

http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-rsbase.cfm

I had one on my Raging bull .454.  it seemed to work just fine.

Edited by supertool73 - September/14/2011 at 13:04
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePaulMichaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 08:47
Well maybe that mount held up for you but if you read the beginning, you would see that this is chambered for .22 MAGNUM.  Let's hope everything can stay in place through all that.  

Thanks for the tip.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 12:26
If you want to scope a rimfire I suggest you select one of the Ruger semi auto pistols which come with a sight base.  I suggest you put an Aimpoint with a 2moa dot on that.  I have a couple of scoped pistols including a ruger semi auto, and by far the most satisfactory sight for a pistol is an Aimpoint red dot.
If one were to scope a convertable revolver I doubt it would be much of a problem switching between LR and Mag cylinders as the impact point should be the same at close range and differenced at distance would relate more to the velocity effects on trajectory.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic