OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which rifle/cal should I buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which rifle/cal should I buy
    Posted: September/10/2011 at 09:44
I want to build a long range hunting rifle. I have been practiceing with my 308 and Im very confident out to 600yrds. I would like to put a magnum caliber rifle together with a quality optic for a mule deer hunt out west. Just looking for suggestions. I have decided on a luepold mk4 scope but unsure of the rifle/caliber i want to put it on. BUDGET 1500
Dont take yourself to seriously
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 10:32
Lots of choices out there for $1500:

CZ 550 American .375 H&H        $1100
  "              "        .416 Rigby      $1050
   "               "        .458 Lott       $1100

Browning A bolt .338 Win mag SS $1035

Sako 85 Finnlight 30-06 SPG       $1100

ETC<ETC<ETC

All the choices above has to do with the animal size,distance & how much weight you want to lug around all day long....good luck              

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 10:36
Remington 700 Sendero in a magnum of the 7mm or .300 type.
-Matt
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 10:54
Take this for what it's worth,maby what you paid for it,but there is a lot of difference between shooting paper or varmints at 600 yards and a big game animal. I don't think it's responsible or ethical to try to shoot a big game animal that far.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 10:54
Bitterroot is right on the money for a big game western rifle IMO. Get good glass to go with it and you'll be good to go.

I've had nothing but great things happen from my custom remington 700.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 11:51
For long range, weather for target or game, I would choose a 7mm caliber. My choice would probably lean towards the 7mmwsm, but only if reloading is done. The 7mm rem mag is still a wonderful cartridge, but with the heavies, the WSM pulls away slightly. 

With deer as a goal, any of the 7mm bullets over 140gr. will most likely work. But IMO, the magic happens with the heavies. Bullets like the 162gr AMAX, and 180gr Berger VLD really buck the wind and have wonderful down-range ballistics.

I personally shoot a 300 WSM, and have never been very sensitive to recoil. But every once in awhile that rifle reminds me its still there. Another problem is there is a big difference between along-range target rifle and a hunting rifle. Right now my rifle is optimized for shooting tac-style long range competitions. It weighs about 15 lbs. If and when I ever draw a deer or elk tag in AZ again, it will be the rifle I take hunting. But it comes with a price paid in sweat of humping that heavy pig in the mountains and canyons where I hunt. I also shoot a Savage, so can also change it back to light weight hunter, if I choose to, in my own garage.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 11:51
I've been pretty happy with my Tikka T3 stainless synthetic in  300 WSM.  Other likely calibers would be 300 Win Mag  and I have a couple of them also. I really like the Rem R5 Mil Spec in 300 Win Mag but the Tikka is a lot more carry friendly if you will be walking a lot.  The Kimber Montana might be a good rifle to consider as they are very durable.  The other caliber that makes a lot of sense to me is 338 Win Mag as it does very well at long range and holds its energy about like a 375H&H at long range.  While the .375 H&H is not often considered for long distance rifles it will also hold lots of energy at longer distances. All in all though I grab the 300 WSM Tikka a lot when I go out the door, it has a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Rapid Z800 scope on it and its just a good hunting rig. You really need to consider what ammo or select a bullet and work backwards picking the correct twist barrel and rifle from what you want to launch through it. The 200 gr 30 cal accubond Nosler bullet seems a good choice to me.  Now pushing it with a 300 WSM vs a 300 WM is rather a moot point as I reload both. I have not bought a 338 WM yet but I have a 375 H&H and have been fighting the urge to buy another one as I like the caliber. I tend to think that anything one can do with the 7mmMag can be done better with the 300WM or 300 WSM because I like heavy bullets.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 17:17
Wby Vanguard Series 2 can be had for about $450, has a match trigger, guaranteed sub-moa accuracy, and leaves lots of room for good optics.......... And the come in .270wsm, .257 wby 7mm rem. mag. , .300 win. mag, .300 Wby, and .338 win mag. All of which I would be glad to be carrying in a Western mule deer hunt. (if South Dakota is considered western hunting) I have owned a .270 wsm, and taken deer to 500 yds with it, and it does well. I currently own a .300 win, and .300 wby, and they will do it as well, or better. Any of the listed calibers will do what you ask, at the ranges that mule deer should be shot at. You never said what range "long range hunting" is, but your .308 would be a good one to take if you are confident out to 600 yards with it. Then you would be carrying a rifle, and caliber you are already familiar with.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 22:56
Thanks Guys!!
Trigger29 my 308 is a heavy target rifle. I dont want this factor to keep me from venturing over the next ridge in search of the big mulies. So I am looking for more of a pack rifle. The browning xbolt and tikka t3 have cought my eye. Any thoughts? I am pretty certain Im gonna go with 300wsm. I reload and 30cal will give me lots of options. They are also a little less effected by wind then 270wsm or 7mm mag. I honestly dont have much practice in high winds. Somthing I need to work on. My goal is to be prepared to take a 600 yard shot. I know this is a stretch but I believe with lots of practice I can do this ethically. I am young and in my prime at age 26 and hope this will help me get within range to a public land muley buck. Not sure where we are gonna go yet. I would also appreciate any suggestions on public land with limited vehicle access.  
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 19:49
Well I was hoping I would here back from you guys on the xbolt and tikka rifles. I have handled them both at my local sporting goods store and I cant make up my mind. Wish I could buy both:) I have shot a friends tikka in 25-06 and it was a sweet shooter. I am decided on 300wsm. Anyone have an xbolt in 300wsm? How does it shoot?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 21:55
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I've been pretty happy with my Tikka T3 stainless synthetic in  300 WSM.  ...

Is there any part of that which is not clear.  Buy the Tikka 300WSM and enjoy it I carry it more than any of my other rifles because it is light and it is very accurate and has lots of energy.  The 300 WSM case loads about like a .308 it is very reloading friendly but you will have to trim it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 10:46
I like the Tikka in 300WSM for your uses, jselsor.  A 180 grain Accubond would be a good extended-range hunting bullet in that caliber.

Just a note about your post about wind resistance.  The Ballistic Coefficient (BC) not only affects your trajectory, but also your wind corrections.  Bullets with high BCs resist wind better than those with lower BCs.  Some 30 cal bullets have high BCs (like 180 grain and up VLD designs), but it is hard to beat the monstrous BCs of heavy boattail 7mms.

Many handloading long range shooters prefer the 7 WSM to the 300 WSM for that reason.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - September/13/2011 at 10:47
-Matt
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 14:10
If you're hunting mule deer a good 7MM or 300 WSM, 300 Winchester mag would work fine. For deer the 270 WSM would be nice also. Get a Montana Kimber in the 270 WSM and don't look back. You don't need to pack a 10 lb. rifle around to shoot deer. The 270 WSM will out perform it's parent case more than the other WSM cartridges, IMHO.
Big Smile
Black Bear Road
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 14:26
Just tossing this out there.  You definitely don't need a magnum caliber to hunt mule deer.  A good old .243, .260, 7mm-08, .270 .308, 30-06 would work perfectly fine.  I have killed a lot of mule deer over the years with a .243.  I used my 7mm mag a few times and it really tears them up. 

But if you just want a magnum to have one, that's okay too.  Big Grin

On the magnum front.  I got an Abolt Mountain TI in 300 WSM last year, I really like it.  It shoots 1 inch groups with the first load I tried.  Weights 7lbs with my Swaro Z6.  Kicks like a freaking mule, but it is light and packs a nice punch. 

Edited by supertool73 - September/13/2011 at 14:28
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 14:27
What about a 280AI?
I am testing a Nosler trophy grade rifle right now
Lightweight, not abusive to shoot
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 17:55
Thanks for the insight Matt. Long range shooting is truely a science and I am consumed by it. My wife gives me trouble cuz I am always tinkering at my reloading bench. Or while Im watching tv in the ev i am weighing bullets.  I have always been an avid hunter (mainly archery) but over the past year I have taken a deep interest into long range rifles and optics. It all started when my buddy brought his Rem 5r 308 sporting a 16x ss to my dads farm. That rifle really impressed me with its accuracy. We shot clay birds at 600 yrds! I am hooked to say the least. Now I am ready to put my practice to use on some plains deer. 
Hunting rig choice is Tikka 300wsm ss with wood stock
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2011 at 18:02
Sorry I meant to say thanks to everybody not just Matt!
sofalyr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofalyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 15:35
Also vote for Weatherby Vanguard S2.  Have quite a few custom rifles but after buying a cheap Vanguard last year in 30-06, had to buy a stainless in .243 win.  Both shoot under a moa and are very strong.  Spend your extra $ on the scope.
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2011 at 09:55
Take a look at Savage I was going to buy one until I was presented with a fantastic deal on an HS 300wsm. I was looking at the, 111 FCNS,  and 116 FCSS in 300 wm. A friend has a 111fcns, and that is his go to big game gun. He has many rifles and only bought the savage out of curiousity, with the acutrigger. He obviously likes it, and in his words,, it is very accurate, and he won't be shedding tears if he puts a nick in it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic