OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting scope selection???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 21:14
Well guys thanks for the input.  I ended up buying both the ed 60 fieldscope and the ed 50.  I plan to use the 50 for multi dayhunts and the 60 for day hunts and from the road.  The clarity from both scopes is great!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2011 at 21:26
Awesome!

I think I will post a review of the ED50 after the season.  I am expecting my MCII eyepiece this week, and I look forward to comparing it to the MC.
-Matt
grizbacker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 19:23
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Awesome!

I think I will post a review of the ED50 after the season.  I am expecting my MCII eyepiece this week, and I look forward to comparing it to the MC.

Would be interested in hearing about the mc II performance.  I also got one on the way but wont get to use it till novemeber.  Did you order yours online?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 19:41
I had to get mine on that stupid giant online auction site for a great deal.  I wish SWFA had them in stock, I would have went through them.

I am still looking for the 27x wide.
-Matt
grizbacker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 20:50
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I had to get mine on that stupid giant online auction site for a great deal.  I wish SWFA had them in stock, I would have went through them.

I am still looking for the 27x wide.

Ebay?  They are hard to find.  I found one online but had to pay quite a bit for it.  Come to find out a week later my father found them locally for a much better price, oh well might try to sell my other one if I can get what I paid for it and pick up a cheaper one.
MassterMark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassterMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 02:14
hi
sorry for delay, but i'm also stuck in between fieldscope ed50, ed III(60) and ed82...

i bought ed 50 with mc2 eyepiece 13-40x, but i found it quite limited in power and brightness on bigger zoom.

so i want to ask OP (and other with experienceCool), who has gor or are familiar with ed50 and edIII(60) with experience on both of thise scopes, mostly if it's edIII worth extra money from ed50 or it's in this case better to buy ed82, if ed50 & edIII are quite equal in performances.
sincerely
mark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 09:16
The ED82 will give you the best performance jump in brightness and magnification.  The ED50 sneaks up on the 60mmEDIII in performance.
-Matt
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 10:07
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">  A couple of comments:

-I have tested quite a few Nikon Fieldscopes over the years with zoom eyepieces and uniformly walked away with the same impression from every one of them: "nice spotter, but whoever designed the zoom eyepiece should be shot, hanged, quartered and then shot again".
- That having been said, the 50mm is the best spotter of its size out there, but like all Fieldscopes, it really comes alive with the fixed eyepiece.
- For my own purposes, I ended up with Pentax PF65ED as what I thought was the best compromise of weight and performance.  XF zoom eyepiece is not great either, but SMC and XW eyepieces are absolutely superb.  I might, however, switch to the upcoming SWFA spotter when it gets here.

ILya

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 23:40
SWFA soptter?????????????

Got anymore info ILYA?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2012 at 23:54
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

SWFA soptter?????????????

Got anymore info ILYA?

There was a thread earlier where Chris fessed up to working on a spotter.  I like the direction in which they are heading (and no, I am not going to tell you which direction that is) and I was thinking about switching to a spotter with a reticle anyway.  If there is information to share, it will be up to Chris to share it.

ILya
MassterMark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassterMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 06:35
yes, i thought that ED82 will own EDIII(60), but in terms of easy handling and dimension/weight is another story. it's true that mostly i watch from my car, and if i walk i dont go far, mostly for hour or two, so the bigger weight shouldnt be big problem.
but ED82 seems so bulky and that's why i was going for ED50 in first place. maybe should be realy better to get EDIII(60) in first place, but it has advantages to have ed50 and ed82 with one eyepiece. better than having ed50 and edIII(60). imho.
so there are options for leaving this way and have ed50, or switch to edIII(60), or buy ed82 and have both; ed50 & ed82.
was looking for pentax 65ed, but i dont think i will go for it.

anyway, I dont know about optic quality of 13-40x eyepiece, but eyerelief is ok for me, because i put eyecup to my eyes and mostly watch freehand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/11/2012 at 08:37
Weight and size concerns changes your original question, which was about performance.

I don't think that the EDIII is going to give you much of a performance boost over the ED50, especially when you add in the portability concerns. I think having an ED82 and ED50 would make a pretty good team.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic