OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

choosing Trijicon color...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: choosing Trijicon color...
    Posted: September/08/2011 at 12:26
i am looking to buy an accupoint 1-4x with the german #4 dot. i plan on using the optic a lot for hunting, especially at night. i shoot at night using a using a white LED light. i dont know if i should get the amber or green reticle. i have heard different and yet strong opinions on both. i was wondering if anyone could help me out, that has experience or knowledge on the subject.

i have heard that green is brighter yet, amber might be better for night shooting.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 12:41
Get a night vision scope and get the green reticle...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 12:53
not interested in night vision.  i want this optic to be a multi purpose scope for day and night.

if i go with Accupoint, i want the german dot, not the triangle(for better accuracy).... im wondering though if different colors look better on different reticles.........and/or do different colors look better with different light.

i am wondering what is the main purpose of choosing a green vs an amber dot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 12:55
Originally posted by skipbo32 skipbo32 wrote:

not interested in night vision.  i want this optic to be a multi purpose scope for day and night.

if i go with Accupoint, i want the german dot, not the triangle(for better accuracy).... im wondering though if different colors look better on different reticles.........and/or do different colors look better with different light.

i am wondering what is the main purpose of choosing a green vs an amber dot.
personal preferance
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 12:56
green is brightest night (almost to a fault depending on the reticle) and day.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:01
what do you mean almost to a fault?  i am wondering if green might be too bright when shooting hogs out to 100yds at night.  i dont want too much light coming back at my eye while ranging a target that is dim........right?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:16
The green reticle was developed to enhance operation with night vision gear.  The amber reticle is salesmanship.  The red reticle is designed to have the least impact on night vision under all lighting conditions...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:25
kickboxer....

thanks for the input.  would you give more detail to your statement.  you say green is geared toward nightvision...but nightvision is green.......wouldnt you want a reticle to have contrast?  and you say red is the worst choice for night?

here are some comments i have cut and pasted from this forum.  there are bound to more people that think this way:

"Using the scope at night (under dim levels of illumination) will mean that rods, not cones, will be responsible for your vision.  Rods are more sensitive to blue light than cones, and are not sensitive to wavelengths greater than about 640nm, the red portion of the visible spectrum.

"For primarily day light use, green usually works best.  For primarily night time use, red is usually the best.
Personally, I find amber the most versatile choice."

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:30
With the reticle your looking at you should be fine but some of the other retciles like with the ACOG line green can be so bright that it can impact your night vision. Been there, done that.

I think what KB is saying is red will have the least impact on your night vision (which doesn't mean it's the worst choice for night use). Red is a very good choice for night use.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:31
mike....

so you think since the german dot is so small, that i should go with the brightest choice.  that way my dot will be bright in day or night?

i hear a lot of votes for the green, and i may go that route.  i was just curious if there was anyone out there who chooses amber over green and has a reason for it.
skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:39
thanks mike,

i am wondering about the comment that amber is "salesmanship".  does anyone else think this?  is amber more of a gimick(ie not really offering something).
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 14:05
Just wondering if you are intentionally being DENSE...

Red is the color of choice for your eyesight at night... it has virtually no impact on "rod vision"... "night vision" according to the human eye.... in other words you can still see with no impact to your vision when using red lighted reticles.  Actually, a green lighted reticle will show up brighter with night vision... red will wash out.  
If you tend toward being red color blind, the amber reticle may have some utility, and perhaps that is why it was created.  However, for "normal vision" amber has no real utility other than a subjective "like"...
If you like green, by all means that is the best one for you to get.  However, red will keep your innate vision intact under low light conditions much better than green.  

Green Lantern was one of my favorite comic book heroes, though...

skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 14:21
KB....

no it is no intentional, my "noob" status should reveal that i am actually this DENSE.  as you can see i am new to this forum and do not attain the "Jedi Master" rank, oh holy oneWink......haha.

never the less......thank you for taking the time of fleshing out the info on the subject.  very informative and i understand a little better now.

also.... i never read Green Lantern.  i was more of a Marvel guy.  Moon Knight, X-Men, Daredevil ect.

anyway, thanks for the replies.  and another note on the "dense" comment:  i guess some of my questions are rhetorical........im just fishing for different opinions from people with different preferences.  i am leaning towards the green but was wondering if someone prefers the amber (and for what reason).

thanks guys.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 14:36
Optics can get expensive so I understand how one would want to make the correct choice the first time around. Your in good hand with the advice from KB. Thunbs Up
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 15:18
skipbo, my reference was in relation to your comment to this:

The red reticle is designed to have the least impact on night vision under all lighting conditions...

in my view... the "least impact on night vision" exactly reflects your quote.  However, I disagree with the 
comments on green.  But that is a personal thing, to a great extent...

Occasionally, people try to twist words for their own ulterior motives... I get jaded sometimes.  (get it... Jaded??)

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 15:26
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Just wondering if you are intentionally being DENSE...

Red is the color of choice for your eyesight at night... it has virtually no impact on "rod vision"... "night vision" according to the human eye.... in other words you can still see with no impact to your vision when using red lighted reticles.  Actually, a green lighted reticle will show up brighter with night vision... red will wash out.  
If you tend toward being red color blind, the amber reticle may have some utility, and perhaps that is why it was created.  However, for "normal vision" amber has no real utility other than a subjective "like"...
If you like green, by all means that is the best one for you to get.  However, red will keep your innate vision intact under low light conditions much better than green.  

Green Lantern was one of my favorite comic book heroes, though...

That first sentence seems a bit harsh. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 15:32
Life is harsh...

skipbo32 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipbo32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 15:54
KB...

i think there was a misunderstanding with the term "nightvison".  you went from talking about the technology of NV to the NV of the human eye rather fast.   sorry, i think it read it too fast as well.

anyway, they do not off the german dot in red so it will be either amber or green.  i plan on doing a lot of night shooting via weapon light so at first i figured amber, being on the "red" scale of things would be better.

my way of thinking now is: two things:

the dot is too small to allow the green to be too bright at night.

and, the dot is too small for the amber to show up durring the day.

ie....for the size of the dot (1moa) given, the green should be the best all around choice.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 16:14
Roger... to me it was just a question like "you messin' with me???"
Your thinking is sound on the choice between green and amber.  I liked the idea of the amber reticle, but after spending some time with one, it became my least favorite.  

I'm never one to criticize anyone's reticle choices, I choose a lot that no one else would.  For me, the pointy thing is more than adequate.  Many seem to not like it, but it is a very fast acquisition reticle and I am able to hit well with it.  

If you like the reticle itself, I think you'll find the green the right choice.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 16:17
BTW... I had original copies of Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Iron Man, Thor, X-men, Hulk Original Action Comics Superman (given to me by my father)... when I went into the Army, my mother threw them all away.  I was really happy about that...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic