OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What kind of arrows and Broadheads this year guys.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What kind of arrows and Broadheads this year guys.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of arrows and Broadheads this year guys.
    Posted: September/07/2011 at 16:12
This year is my first year to hunt with a bow, when I was really young I shot recurves.
But this year I choose to go with Carbon Express and Grim Reaper's broadheads.
Very fast arrows and the BH look to be devestating. Interestingly enough to use a mechanical BH versus fixed, but we will see.

Edited by Skylar McMahon - September/07/2011 at 16:15
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 16:17
I'm using the NAP Braxe again and Easton Epic arrows.   I'm not much for a mechanical broadhead but thats just cause I have so many braxe's i won't change now lol.  I would like to try the Tekans as Bigdaddy says they are the shiznit
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 16:21
Shooting Easton Axis slim techs, and 100 gr. Rage 3 blade. No issues so far.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 16:24
The Easton Axis are very popular, I seen alot of guys using these.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 16:28

Gold Tips and 100gr Thunderheads.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 20:28
I am shooting 100 grain slick tricks on VAP 300s this year.  Hopefully I will get a penetration field test, but no luck last weekend.
-Matt
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 23:19
Easton flatlines with rage 2 blade 100 grain
Dont take yourself to seriously
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 06:21
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Shot the 100 gr. Thunderheads for years with great results also.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 06:22
easton axis with  G5 tekken. I use to shoot Carbon Express but they would loss spine stifness after a few shots and start to tail whip. easton have done me well the past few years. I also try victory and they did well for a little while and they started tail whipping also.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 08:12
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Shot the 100 gr. Thunderheads for years with great results also.

Me too!

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 09:03
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

easton axis with  G5 tekken. I use to shoot Carbon Express but they would loss spine stifness after a few shots and start to tail whip. easton have done me well the past few years. I also try victory and they did well for a little while and they started tail whipping also.
Hmmm that's concerning because I practice every day with the same arrows I plan to use when I hunt.
I really like them but I may have to rethink my strategy.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 09:23
Just keep a eye on them. When they leave the bow and the tail of the arrow whips its time to change them. You might not have that problem. I went thru 7 dozen before I changed the victory then to easton.  I shoot a shorter arrow with a short Draw length 26' and 70# pull weight. I also shoot a heaver arrow than whats called for. I like it when the arrow penatraits just about anything inside 50 yards.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 09:26
Gold Tip XT Hunters are as durable if not more so than any carbon arrow out there. There was some concern awhile back about quality due to manufactor going to Mexico. I think the company took so much flack for the move that they rethought the deal. The arrow shafts have proven to be as good as they ever were. The Rage 100gr 2 blade 2" cut are proving to be the broadhead to have. You will always hear reports of poor performance here and there but I've only heard one complaint about the Rage and The shot he described was questionable. My personal experience has been 100% and I have been a loyal Muzzy shooter for many yrs.
I wasn't willing to try any "real expensive" mechanicals until they had proven reliable. Well after loosing two nice bucks to Muzzy's it was time to try something else. A buddy had shot two doe with the Rage and the pass thru cuts were very impressive. I bit the bullet and bought those expensive things. No regrets! And with the replacment blade kits keeping them going isn't so painful.
If you haven't made up your mind yet the Rage 100gr 2 blade is a good choice by any standard.
As for arrow brand you will get what you pay for but, the main thing is make sure your shaft spine is correct for your draw weight.
Let us know what you do and Good Luck!!!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 09:30
Good to hear from you Sarge, you been in the stand yet?
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 09:39
Morning Graham, I've been in two so far gettin em ready for Saturday. One for the am before I go to the shop and one for that afternoon. First day will be deer hunting. If I go Sunday it will be fo the buck. Our club land is 90% tobacca so acorns and corn will be our focus.
What do you have set up. Lookin forward to hearing what you do along with the rest of th gang.
Good Luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 09:47
I've got a few stands in some dense cover, were it stays cooler and is out the sun. Hoping to get a big one thats bedding down there or just coming out.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 10:10
Get em!

Oh!

Pics and details!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:05
Thunderhead 125   Gold tip Hunter xt  reflective wrap so they glow when a flashlight hits them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2011 at 13:11
I agree with you there.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic