OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Waterproof, fogproof & ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waterproof, fogproof & ?
    Posted: September/06/2011 at 12:52
Another newbie looking for a scope ( maybe 2?).
20 hours of surfing forums for research and I'm getting close.
I notice that not every scope spec sheet tells you everything about it.
I notice that some aren't noted to be waterproof or fogproof, even though they are over $1000.
I noticed that on some of the Zeiss Conquests and some of the Leupolds.
I know you shouldn't assume, but should I assume that a Zeiss Conquest will always be water and fog proof? How about a middle priced $7-1100 Leupold?
Or am I not looking close enough and the spec sheets?
Also, is there any kind of rating on "shock resistant"? I intend to be carefull, but more durability is obviously better.
Thanks in advance.
Al

Al in Placerville CA
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 13:23
No scopes are fog proof in all respects.  All most all scopes have a gas inside that will not allow them to fog from the inside.  But that does not mean that if you are out in the cold and put your scope up to your warm eye that it won't fog on the outside.  Or if you take a warm scope into the cold it will fog on the outside as well.

Conqests and Leupolds will be as good as any in those regards. 

Tell us you needs/uses, budget, and rifles they will be going on.  We can help point you in the right direction.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 16:14
From looking at the Leupold VX-III features section (not specs) they say:

"Incredibly rugged, with absolute waterproof integrity using Leupold's proprietary Argon/Krypton gas blend."

Zeiss does not seem to say the same in their features or specs, but they are nitrogen filled.   I would be shocked if a Zeiss internally fogged.

Having said that, stuff happens.   You can drop your scope, have it fall off the back of a truck, or even have a part fail.   Then the customer service of the vendor comes into play.   There are some that are a pain in the neck and some that will take your scope with no questions asked and fix it.  Among the good ones I know of are Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex, Swarovski, and I am sure others can add those with "no fault" guarantees where they will just take your scope and fix it and return it quickly.   I would look to see how their customer service is rated and take that as a higher standard than how waterproof they claim to be.
Al D View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 18:56
Thanks for the offer to help. I think it's mainly a matter of making up my mind about what I want.
I just bought a Remington 700,  30.06. My first rifle besides a 22 and shotgun. I have been around handguns all my life, but now want to get proficient at shooting a rifle.
I'm torn between spending my entire budget of about $1500 or so on something good (what do they say, buy once cry once?), or getting something decent ($500ish) to start out, learn a bit, see how I like it and then possibly step up to a better scope. I have read the arguments for both and just need to decide for myself what will work best for me.
If I go $500 ish, I may use the left over money to buy a .223 AR. I used one over the weekend and had a great time. This way my teenage son and I can both shoot at the range and not have to switch back and forth.
Assuming it goes like I hope it will, I can step up with more and better equipment as I go.
I have access to a 100, 200 & 300 range & possibly a longer one. I will do most of my plinking at 1-300 yards and go longer as I improve.
I'm mainly looking at the Zeiss Conquest. Could be 3-9, or maybe the 4.5-15 or even 6.5 to 20.
Or the Leupold Mark IV 4-12, 4.5-14 or even the 6-18.
I don't see any hunting trips any time soon, so the lower magnification isn't as important.
Right now my mind is a big sponge, so I'll soak up any advice is offered.
Thanks,
Al
Al in Placerville CA
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 19:29
If you would like to buy once cry once without damaging the pocket book to badly, I would get this one. 

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-9x36-Z3-Riflescope-P40812.aspx

Optically you will not find anything much better than this.  I is a great power range for typical hunting and shooting needs.  If I could afford it, I would buy 3 or 4 of these for my rifles. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 20:16
SuperTool is right about the Swarovski.   You will not go wrong with it.  However, if you are looking at improving your marksmanship as small targets over increasing range you will want more magnification. My favorite right now int the under $1K range is the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50.   I own two of them (one FFP and one SFP).    They are a little hard to get a hold of because of the demand for them but they are very tough, great glass, and unequaled features at the price.   I chose MOA but you can also go MIL.  The SFP is less expensive but the FFP is fun to learn ranging and hold-off.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44560.aspx

You can continue to ask questions because we will have a lot to say about a lot off features found in great scopes.  You do have choices.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic