OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Another help me select a scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saddle Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another help me select a scope
    Posted: September/06/2011 at 10:49

Really glad I found this forum.  I think I have I researched this thoroughly, but am coming up empty.  I have read through quite a bit of this forum and if there is anyone that can help it will be here.

I need help choosing a scope for a Guide Gun in 45-70 using heavy loads (350s at 2100+).  The gun is used mostly for hog hunting and some deer mostly close in, and in wooded areas, but I do on occasion have to take shots out to 200 yards.  It is also a range toy where I shoot to 300 yards (gong).  The current scope is a Burris Compact 2-7x32 ballistic plex.  This scope has worked well for me when it is working.  My only complaint (other than it breaking) is I would like a larger FOV, but that is probably the price of the extra eye relief.  It has been sent in for repair 3 times now and is down again.  I need a scope that will hold up.  My eyes are slipping and using iron sights are not a good option anymore.

What I am looking for is something similar.  I want a variable power, compact scope in the same 2-7 range and am open to something with less power but probably not more.  The eye relief is extremely important.  I sometimes have to make quick shots in awkward positions and the extra eye relief of this scope has probably save me a few cuts and black eyes.  Also, I really need some sort of range compensation reticle.  I would like to spend in the 250 range, but if necessary I could go 500 or a little more.

I have considered a scout setup, but am afraid that may not be for me.  I have never even handled a rifle with a scout setup very hesitant to go that route.
Please Help!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 13:31
I would probably go with a Leupold VX3 of some flavor and send it off to the custom shop and have a BDC dial put on it based on your provided ballistics.  I have thought about doing the same with my 45-70.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 13:46
Here is one:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-25-8x36-VX-3-Riflescope-P12644.aspx

This scope has a well-deserved tough reputation, but you mentioned you wanted a variable.  It might have a bit high magnification for really close shots:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Riflescope-P12758.aspx

-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 16:01

Excellent  And these are suggestions from us "Leupold bashers" at OT.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 16:29
I'm going to make a little different suggestion and it depends on how much you want to spend.   There are a number of newer scopes that are designed for tactical work that give you both close in quick shots as well as higher magnification when needed.   Specifically, the Swarovski 1.7 - 10 X 42 with a ballistic reticle will give you great field of view at 1.7X and good reach at 10X with a ballistic reticle for gauging drop.    The problem is that it will also set you back $2K. 

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P11126.aspx

However, there are lesser scopes that do similar things at lower cost.  I suggest you look at the high-range erectors and a low-low magnification to start.     The Swarofski is the top of the line and should take your recoil in stride.   If not, they will repair anything they sell.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 16:46
Heck the swaro is only 4 times his stated max budget.  That should be no problem.  Bucky
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 16:56
I like supertools idea.  I'd go with one in this power. 

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-Riflescope-P12634.aspx
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 17:43
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 20:06
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

This might be one to consider.

Similar to the Conquest. German glass and assembled in the USA. This weekend we were out hunting and looking through a couple and CF2 had his Minox out there, and the miraging was very limited at 100 yards. They are great optics for the money.
Saddle Bum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saddle Bum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 11:43
Thanks for all of your suggestions.  The Swarovski while I am sure is a great optic is way beyond what I can spend.  The Minox with a different reticle would be very tempting and I really like the wide magnification range.  Because Minox is relatively new and I have a long legacy of breaking things, I have decided to go with the Leupold (when Leupold bashers" are recommending Leupold it time to seriously look at Leupold).   First I was leaning toward the 2.5-8, but after seeing the field of view of the 1.5-5 I decided to go that route with a custom reticle.  The custom dial was very tempting, but with my aging eyes seeing the numbers could be problematic.  You all have been very helpful and I would like to thank you all for helping get what I am certain is going to be a great scope.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 11:48
Leupold isn't a bad decision and if anything happens to it it's covered.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 13:25
Leupold makes good scopes.  They are just priced a little bit higher than comparable competition.  But when you want something custom like you need, they are a very good choice as most brands do not offer anything like that.  

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2011 at 18:14
Take a look at Bushnell's 4200 Elite 2.5-10x50 with a plex.SWFA @ $419.95.Claims to have handeled 10,000rds of .375H&H mag.it also has rainguard.
 I have had very good personal experiece with a Elite 6500 myself.
Own a couple of Minox Z5 & can't say enough good things about them,they have held up fine with my T/C .460 mag.The Z3 are more in line with your price range but the glass is the same!

Edited by stickbow46 - September/07/2011 at 18:20
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic