OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Swamp People ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Swamp People ?
    Posted: September/03/2011 at 15:33
What scopes would you guys suggest for very rough use in the marshes and swamps of Louisiana?
I am putting together an old Marlin 22 magnum bolt gun for my cousins that live and hunt in the marsh , swamps and sugar cane fields of south Louisiana. They treat firearms like tools and used them almost every day. A Remington 870 pump shotgun will last them only 5-6 years. They are the few people I know that can wear out shotguns and 22s. They make very good field testers.
They have very little to no experiance with the 22 mag and scoped rimfire rifles. A scoped 22 magnum will really up their game. 
I am a Leupold fan put can't bring myself to buy such a high end scope and see the hell beat out of it thrown in the bottom of a jon boat or pickup bed. A cheap scope will not hold up. Is there any scope under a $120.00 that will hold up ? How about a fixed 4X scope or a 2 X 7 or less power shotgun scope ?  
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2011 at 17:35
A lot of the guys around here will strongly recommend this one
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx

Edited by GetSome - September/03/2011 at 17:36
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 08:40
Glass is glass you simply can not throw them in the bottom of the boat or bed of the truck and expect the glass not to get screwed up. Under harsh enviroments simple tools hold up best. A fixed power scope would be the best choice. Fixed 6x42 Super Sniper or a 6x42 leupold might be a good choice. Im not sure that the 22mag will be the advantage you think it would as a semi auto 22 like a Ruger 10-22 will place several bullets into an animal quicker than one 22 mag from a bolt gun. The 17 HMR has a considerable accuracy advantage due to bullet design so I might tend to go that route with the 6x SS but you have to realize the ammo cost may make it prohibitive to use where the 22 ammo can be had cheap.  The reality is that you could use an SKS or AK and the  7.62x39 ammo is cheaper than other centerfire rifle ammo and not a lot more than ammo for the mag and hmr.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/04/2011 at 08:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 08:43
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

A lot of the guys around here will strongly recommend this one
http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11227.aspx
Price is right - I have two of them and the warranty is good but it is a discontinued model so there is a question as to what they would replace it with should it break in the futute but will kill game Ive got blood on mine.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 09:06
I live about 80 miles west of LA and hunt there a lot at night and a fixed 4x-6x works great.

I chase hounds (walk/hike, four wheelers, boat, etc) and find that fixed works best in rough conditions and when you don't have a lot of time for magnification adjustments.

Simple works (K.I.S.S. rule) best for the conditions described.

As far as what scope to use that is subjective.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 09:22
IOR makes a nice hunting 4x
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 09:25
I hit post reply instead of reviewBig Grin

As mentioned: Glass is Glass and even steel will bend so you have to be aware and take care of your equipment, if you want it to take care of you!

I have had great luck with my Prostaff fixed 4x holding up well for 4years now and it has taken some abuse (looks it too) and so has my Ruger 10/22 and neither has failed me yet.

I know some guys that swear by Weaver classic scopes thought, but I've don't own one.

Seems like that I read somewhere that Nikon was coming out with a rubberized (coated) scope, but don't hold me to it.

Hope this helps.

Eagle
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 09:44
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

IOR makes a nice hunting 4x

They sure do, but it's not under $120...or even close to that amount.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jbelow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 20:15
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Glass is glass you simply can not throw them in the bottom of the boat or bed of the truck and expect the glass not to get screwed up. Under harsh enviroments simple tools hold up best. A fixed power scope would be the best choice. Fixed 6x42 Super Sniper or a 6x42 leupold might be a good choice. Im not sure that the 22mag will be the advantage you think it would as a semi auto 22 like a Ruger 10-22 will place several bullets into an animal quicker than one 22 mag from a bolt gun. The 17 HMR has a considerable accuracy advantage due to bullet design so I might tend to go that route with the 6x SS but you have to realize the ammo cost may make it prohibitive to use where the 22 ammo can be had cheap.  The reality is that you could use an SKS or AK and the  7.62x39 ammo is cheaper than other centerfire rifle ammo and not a lot more than ammo for the mag and hmr.
Urimaginaryfrnd , my swamp cousins do treat their scoped deer rifles better than their shotguns and 22s. I will instruct them to do the same with a scoped rimfire. (FYI : The old Remington Nylon 66 has held up well for them) I gave them a Savage Tactical 223 years ago. They did shoot a few hogs with it but it is a bit heavy to be handy as an all round small game/varmit truck gun. The 223 can be a bit much at times in simi-rual farm land. I learned many years ago one well placed shot is much better than many less well placed shots. One shot one kill ! An accurate well place shot with a 22 magnum is head and shoulders above any 22 LR . You do not often get a second shot.  The 17HMR is very good but the 22 magnum will have more killing power.
jbelow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbelow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2011 at 20:33
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

I hit post reply instead of reviewBig Grin

As mentioned: Glass is Glass and even steel will bend so you have to be aware and take care of your equipment, if you want it to take care of you!

I have had great luck with my Prostaff fixed 4x holding up well for 4years now and it has taken some abuse (looks it too) and so has my Ruger 10/22 and neither has failed me yet.

I know some guys that swear by Weaver classic scopes thought, but I've don't own one.

Seems like that I read somewhere that Nikon was coming out with a rubberized (coated) scope, but don't hold me to it.

Hope this helps.

Eagle
EAGLE , One of my swamp cousins do have a Prostaff 3x9 on a Rem. 270. It has held up so far the past 2 years. It is scratched up like the rifle. He nailed a bobcat in the head at aprox. 230yds a few weeks ago. They have to be very careful with such a powerful gun in the area they live. That is the idea of why the scoped 22magnum.
PaulB84 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:56
this may be outside your budget (deals can be found) but I know if I was shooting at mean critters a few feet away in wet and humid climate and I was rough on my stuff,  I would want an aimpoint.  period.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic