OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Budget 308 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdowell1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget 308 scope
    Posted: September/03/2011 at 12:51
Hi All, new to the forum and I'm sure you get tired of hearing this: Looking for a budget Rifle scope around 200-250 for a Remington 700 Varmint in 308. Mainly for hunting shots 150 - 350 yards, but would like to be able to shoot out to about 500. Haven't been into the gun scene for about 15 years and all the new brands are foreign to me. I like the mil-dot idea and would love a 1500.00 tactical scope, it's a wants versus needs thing ya know. But would like something variable power, 4-14 maybe, good low-light scope, best bang for the buck. I've looked at lots, researched a bit, just not real familiar with some of the new stuff. I like the mil-dot on the simmons aetec master series, and I like the vortex crossfire 4-16. I like the whole click elevation turret idea but it would be nice to just use mil dots if they were accurate for my 308. Help please, point a scope newbie in the right direction!!!!! I am not new to guns and hunting, old pro if you will, just new to all the new fangled scopes.
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2011 at 13:58
Here are a couple good ones for an inexpensive, long(ish)-range hunting scope with decent optics and durability.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-12x40-Diamondback-Rifle-Scope-P11238.aspx
$200 with good magnification range and nice BDC reticle with great field of view (as good as most 3-9 scopes at the low/wide end with a bonus 10-12x long end).  From what the optics guru Illya said in his comparison write-up on here a year or so ago it bests most other $200 or less scopes.

Below is a good choice if you want something that will work but you realize that you forgot to build up other necessary gear for training and hunting (ammunition, jackets, boots, targets, a nice knife or two, etc.)
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Trophy-XLT-Rifle-Scope-P45461.aspx
$135 with $30 mail in rebate = $105 for an upgraded Trophy series that already sold very well and got a lot of good feedback  for price to quality ratio.  Better field of view than most 3-9x scopes, good BDC reticle with some simplified ranging capability built in.

A mil-dot or modified mil-dot type reticle is best for ranging but for a more simple hold-over affair with minor adjustments a BDC type reticle would be best.  Most very affordable scopes in the price range are not going to have mil adjustment values for the turrets to go hand-in-hand with a mil-dot reticle, but 1/4 MOA, which goes better with all the nice, new BDC reticles.

With a lot of luck and searching you can also find some models of Minox scopes with BDC reticles for $299, a little more than your budget but with optics that majority of people agree are equal to, or better than, most $600-$1,000 scopes.  SWFA will price match if it's new and unused, so you still get the great deal you found elsewhere plus the best customer service and reliability of SWFA.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
cdowell1972 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdowell1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2011 at 15:56
Since my post I saw the Vortex Diamondback 4-12 with the dead hold BDC and really thought that would be my best bet at 199.00.

I also like this Burris
http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11004.aspx

Which would be better?
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2011 at 16:23
http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html

Here is the comparison write-up I mentioned earlier...I don't know if Burris' Timberline has better optics than their own Fullfield II but I don't think so going off memory.  The Diamondback had better optics and reticle in Illya's opinion when going against the Fullfield II and I personally think Vortex's reticle is better also.  Not much adjustment needed when you check most premium ammunition in a ballistics calculator with their reticle's subtensions and you got those two wind-hold guides on the horizontal line.

I like the people who represent Vortex a lot as well, and their warranty.  Incredibly nice and not trying to sneak away all your pennies.

To best the Diamondback you will probably have to find a higher tier scope line from someone other than Burris which just happens to be marked down for a smoking deal or get something used.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic