OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zeiss conquest foging up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutler686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zeiss conquest foging up?
    Posted: January/25/2006 at 14:07

Has anyone ever had a problem w/ the conquest fogging up on them.  Reason being i live in WI.  I love my elite 4200 but i just got a chance to buy a conquest from a friend, and what do you know, i recently bought another rifle (300 ultramag).

anyways what do you all think?  Should i get the conquest or stay with the 4200(raingard)

Thanks for any help

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2006 at 14:55

Internal fogging or exterior??

Neither scope should fog INTERNALLY, unless there's a nitrogen leak that allows it to.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2006 at 18:57

No quality scope should fog.

ranburr

bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2006 at 21:29

I like the Conquest but I can tell you it has fogged up externally in the WI cold when I breathed on the ocular, like any other scope would, then quickly evaporated.  Now, I have no experience with the 4200 and rainguard.... Do the rainguard coatings prevent this from happening Cutler??  I went with a 3-9x40 Conquest for eye relief, the quality glass, and the laser etched reticle.  It has worked great for me.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 02:05
Sounds like a fluke, I would send it back to Zeiss before giving up on it. Zeiss makes excellent scopes.
cutler686 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutler686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 14:08
Originally posted by bagderRed bagderRed wrote:

I like the Conquest but I can tell you it has fogged up externally in the WI cold when I breathed on the ocular,

This is what i was worried about.

i haven't had any trouble w/ my 4200 doing this.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 18:35
Then the 4200 is the logical choice. Their coatings are designed to prevent this, and they work great. I have several and I am pleased beyond belief, so will you. One more less thing to worry about for that shot of a lifetime.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 18:38

Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Then the 4200 is the logical choice. Their coatings are designed to prevent this, and they work great. I have several and I am pleased beyond belief, so will you. One more less thing to worry about for that shot of a lifetime.

What coating does Bushnell offer that prevents external fogging, Roy?

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Brewdaddy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 21:07
Raingaurd!
BillD1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 22:01
Hello Brewdaddy,

If I remember correctly, I think you bought a Zeiss Conquest last year, just wondering how well it worked for you this past deer season?   I purchased one last year and slapped it on my Remington 700 in 6.5x55, must admit that the rifle scope combination has really helped me in the accuracy department.  Only had the scope for a year, never experinced a fogging problem in the field, but then again it wasn't that cold or wet last season.  Then again it hasn't really been that cold in Texas in the last 10 years either.            
Bill D
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 22:41
Nitrogen-purging, just like scopes have been using for to many years to count. RainGuard prevents external fogging and condestation. Read up on it.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2006 at 03:37
Looks like you found your scope Cutler... the 4200.  If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess.  I will say I never blew a shot opportunity because of external fogging with a Conquest, although I remember it happening once with a Schmidt&Bender.  Sounds like rainguard would be worthwhile in most situations.  I looked at a 4200 side by side with a Conquest a couple times... I liked the Conquest.
Brewdaddy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 00:54

How are you BillD1?

Glad to hear from you. I had a great year with my new Ziess. I made a short post a while back about my optic success this year. It is on the third page, titled "Ziess Comes Through This Year". feel free to check it.

I never really elaborated too much, but I was really blown away on how unbelievable the Zeiss gathered light. Long after sunset and the Zeiss still lit up my feeder. Even compared to my Nikon binoculars, it was pretty amazing. It was well worth the extra money.

Take care of yourself, I'll be checking in to see whats up. I just wished I owned more scopes, so I could contrbiute more.

Brew

BillD1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 16:09
Hey Brewdaddy,

That was an impressive post and I am glad that last season was a huge success. Like you I also was blown away by how good the Zeiss gathers light, holds zero, and the clarity of the scope.  I wished I could have shot a 10 pointer, but I managed to achieved what we called on our lease as "The Sausage Combo".  It was very early in the morning when a very mean sow showed up with 12 piglets and a small black boar at the feeder to my left.  She was constantly chasing and beating up the younger boer.  The small piglets which ranged from black, brown, blonde, red, and white colors where swarming around her like bees on honey.  She and the rest of the pigs where at my left feeder, and a few deer moved to feeder on my right keeping about 200 yards of distance between them and the pigs.  Later a nice wide 8 point worked around the pigs and went to the feeder to my right and at 170 yards I shot him behind the shouder with a 129 gr SST, he dropped in his tracks.  I then realigned my scope crosshairs to the feeder to my left seeing little blurrs of black, brown, white, and red streaks and able to find the sow.  I quickly adjusted my scope down to 3.5 and at 60 yards away I spotted her trying to slip past me through the shadows of the thick cedar.  She was a black blonde and brown pig that blended very well in the Texas hill country terrain, I could not see her with the naked eye but the clarity of the Zeiss clearly outlined the pig and the 129 gr SST did the rest.  It was amazing that all this happened within 5 seconds.  If my rifle would have had my old Simmons AETEC, it would not have been this easy, probably I would not have achieved "The Sausage Combo", possibly when I was through I would have had instant sausge in the field, or maybe I might be still tracking.

Take Care, Good Luck, And Looking Forward To Your Future Post

Bill                                  
Bill D
Brewdaddy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brewdaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2006 at 11:47

Bill,

Great story!

I Know I'm getting off track in this thread, but the coolest thing I watched through my Zeiss this year was a nice nine pointer thrashing a mesquite tree about two hundred yards away. When he was done he walked away and half the tree still in his rack. It's was awesome to see! Its a shame My zeiss couldn't snap a few pictures.

Brew

cutler686 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutler686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2006 at 17:58

I think i am going to give the conquest a try.  Maybe i should just stick to the 4200's but i can get a brand new in the box conquest z plex 3-9*40 for $390.00 from a friend.  The scope was never even on a rifle.

This was why the debate in my mind took place.  I love the 4200 but the more i look around the more i like what people have to say about the conquest.

hope it dosn't fog up on me durring a rainy fall morning in the stand.

Edited by cutler686
BillD1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2006 at 22:22
Hello cutler686

Awhile back I decided to upgrade some of my rifles with new scopes. I had trouble deciding on which scopes I liked best because they all seemed to be pretty much the same when viewing through them at the store or gun show. I surfed around the net and like most I ended up here. From previous posts that I have read most people who post here mostly favor the Zeiss Conquest and Bushnell Elite 4200, but there is also a very strong following for Burris, Leupold, and Nikon.  All are great scopes and deserve credit but for me I settled on the Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell Elite 4200, and the Burris FF2.  I compared them on bright sunny days, low light days, various dusk and dawn situations, and even bright to dim moonlite nights.  Inwhich didn't make my wife happy and I received what us husband refer too as the LOOK, but that's another story.  For my eyes the Conquest slightly edges out the 4200 but the Burris FF2 was not too far behind and actually did better than what I expected.  I even placed all three scopes outside in low damp 40 degree weather for a couple of hours, and then fogged up the lenes with my breath to see how well the rainguard work compared to the other none rainguard scopes.  Here is where the 4200 shined as soon as the lenes fogged up it started to dissipate, whereas the other two cleared but not nearly as fast.  Also, I love the eyepiece adjustment on the Conquest it is quick, precise and sometimes when I go from a low power to a higher power my eye likes a little adjustment. IMO they are both excellent scopes it just comes down to what the individual prefers; a little bit more clarity and brightness or rainguard.

Hope this helps
Bill                      
Bill D
cutler686 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutler686 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2006 at 11:59

I am way to familiar w/ "the look"......

I feel confident in last nights purchase of the conquest.  seems like a good scope, I hope It can live up to its name

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 14:49
A great deal is a great deal only if it is what you truely want. (Women dont see it that way but for us guys our toys are more important than getting a bargain). Buy the one that you really want the first time because if you don't in six months you will be buying it anyway.  I prefer Leupolds but you are comparing two great scopes so do what makes you happy. I like target style tactical knobs to dial in correction for trajectory and windage, but most hunters don't do that.  So the logical conclusion is: We all need more rifles and more scopes - right.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic