OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advice needed from South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice needed from South Africa
    Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:08
Hi. I need advise on choosing between these two scopes.
Swarovski Z5 Rifle Scope 3.5-18x44 Plex BT
and
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop NP-R2
or
???????

I have just bought my first rifle, a Sako 30-06. I will mainly use it for plains game hunting here in SA, in the Kalahari and the Karoo. Shots range from 100-300 meters. I would also like to do some target shooting with if, so longer ranges will also be used. I was set on the Swarovski, but then a friend of mine who is a very good Bisley shot, recommended that I look at the NF. So now I'm confused.

I would also like to get some advise on getting the scope to South Africa. My brother in law who lives in the USA will buy the scope for me, and bring it over when he comes over for holiday. If he brings the scope with him as if it is his own, does he need any special permits or documentation to be able to do that?
Thanks in advance.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:24
Swaro, glass will be much better.   As far as clearing customs, i couldn't begin to tell you. I do hear that any type of "military" or mil reticle is not allowed through customs but again I don't know that for sure.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 02:44
I would go with the Swaro as well, a freind ordered a scope on the internet and had it sent to SA. And he had to get an export permit from the USA. Took about 2 weeks to get it, and about 4 days for the scope to get here.

Regards Chris
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 10:00
Welcome to the OT.

Swaro has the better glass but the Nightforce is almost indestructable,tough choice.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2011 at 10:51
For a hunting scope one does not typically use target / tactical knobs to dial in correction but it can be done.  For distances 100 to 300 meters on a hunting gun I would be quite comfortable with a fixed 6x42 Leupold FX3  with long range duplex.  If one is shooting without a rest a 6x scope is quite useable but even a 10x scope can be a challange to get on target without a solid rest.  I find that I can get a 6x onto moving game well under 100 meters.  The 6x42 will have  a 7mm exit eye pupil  and will be very bright.
The Nightforce is a big heavy scope if this is a target gun no problem if it is a stalking - hunting gun that will be rather heavy and bulky.  One other scope I really like is the Trijicon Accupoint due to its illuminated reticle which is tritium and fiber optic and does not use batteries and is illuminated all the time.
I have no idea what the customs rules are regarding gifts between family members however anything that the US military uses, would without a doubt be a problem so - no mil dots or acogs etc. The Swarvo would probably be a fine choice for you but consider these as well.

Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Green Triangle Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR22G
  • Matte
  • Green Triangle
  • 30mm
$870.95 
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR22R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$870.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/10/2011 at 10:52

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2011 at 06:42
Congratulations 'oke on your purchase of a Sako. Excellent rifle and in .30-06 superb for hunting in your homeland.

I have hunted the grassveldt west of Bloomfontein and travelled through the Karoo a number of times so I am familiar with the biomes you intend to hunt. My son used a .243 with a Zeiss 2.5-10x42 #8 and I had a .308W and a Zeiss 6x42 #4. These are hunting rifles not used on the range. We took blesbok, spingbok, steenbok, black wildebeest, dassies and gemsbok amongst others. Both combination worked very well at ranges out to 300yards.

The scopes you list are high quality scopes and either will work very well. You don't have to use them at max magnification. If you:
1) lose your sight picture under recoil
2) find the field of view too narrow or
3) the mirage too disruptive,
turn down the magnification. While hunting you may find 10x the max. during the day and 8x better at night or dusk.

If your brother comes through europe he maybe able to source the swaro through duty free if he pre-arranges it.

martindut View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martindut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 00:04
Hi Code4. A friend of mine is going to the UK this week. How would I go about pre-arranging to buy scope at duty free?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2011 at 01:55
I think you can only buy duty free from duty registered businesses. I am pretty sure you will struggle to find a scope shop that is registerd to be duty free.

I also think that scopes in the UK is also much more expensive then the USA.

Unless you have a friend who can bring it through customs as his own, it can work out close to the price as available in RSA.
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2011 at 07:10
I would have thought any duty free shop selling Binos or Cameras would be able to source it and on sell even if it is not a display item. An email to Swarovski would reveal if there are any duty free outlets they supply with binos etc.. If so, have it delivered to your flight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic