OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House, Part IV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 80>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:08
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Think you could get another member here to help you get that security clearance  issue resolved? Worth a shot!
I've held a Secret level Clearance before.
It's a matter of going thru the process again and that has gotten much more involved then it used to be since to creation of Homeland Security!!!! 

The other issue is the increased commute distance.  I'm already traveling 38 miles each way.  It would increase to over 50 miles easily! Whacko
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:13
I had to go through secret and top secret clearances in the Air Force for my job and the first part took about a month IIRC, and it was the TSC one that took a bit longer. I was in training anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but yeah they're not quick that's for sure.

How far of drive is it in to Bmore/DC?
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:33

Might be time for some changes,Bud.  How about a career change to start? 

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:34
Well whatever you decide to do I wish you the best with it.  I know you are stressing out about it.  Just know you got your friends here for help if you need anything.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:41
Civilian sector clearance takes 2-3 months from what I've been told.

commute would be between 50 and 75  mil;es each way!  Shocked Shoot Self
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:47
Well, it may be worth it to have Bud. Maybe start checking out the surrounding areas and in the meantime push for that clearance. Can't hurt to have it in this day in age, that's for sure.

I echo G, i hope the rocky times now give way to some great times soon. Don't let those asshats get the best of you!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:49
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Might be time for some changes,Bud.  How about a career change to start? 

HMmmmm a career change at 53!  Oh Boy, just what I need...to start over at the bottom of a new ladder.  I'd be more inclided to join my deadbeat sister and get disability...then go fishing and hunting full time.  Bucky

I think I just made myself sick even thinking abouot it! Whacko
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:53
If I could afford to get a clearance by myself I wouldn't need one!  From what I've been told, Clearances currently cost over $10K per person.  PA slaries are 10-30% supressed compared to Balto and DC area salaries so I'm trapped by my mortgage and can't relocate without walking away from my house....broke!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 08:56
It breaks my heart in that B&D was considered one of teh areas best employers before the merger and now its at the bottom!  My plans had been to finish out my working career here....no more!
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:01

Ok.  With your training what can you do and where could you work.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:02

What other places are in the area Bud? Within say 50 miles that you could do similar work in?

I didn't realize it cost that damn much to get a clearance from the civilian side of things. I completely understand not being worth it at that price.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:09
Bud, slip and fall at work, the sue em' for that they owe yaWink
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:25
Morning AllCoffee
Sorry Bud, but I'm not going to answer your question, and I suggest that you delete it. I know your kidding, buuut............................
It sounds like the problem is correcting itself. The stockholders are not going to watch their dividends shrink while corporate raiders come in and rob the coffers and destroy the company. This is not to say that you won't suffer in the meantime. You could wait about changing jobs and possibly come out quite well with the company, or they could still crap on you, it's a big gamble. You could consider another job and possibly relocating, and it sucks starting from the bottom again in a new job.
I saw an article on FOX News yesterday, that said there was a shortage of engineers, technichians, and tradesmen; so I'm sure you can find a job if your willing to move (which sucks too). Employers can't find qualified people in those fields, so you have an edge.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:30
You guys broke the Coffee House again???  Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:34
Bud did it!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:46
G and Shooter did it.
Get a little coffee in those two and they just won't stop. It's like watching 3 year olds left alone in a candy store.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:51

WHAT!Shocked   I didn't do it.  I'm the good one remember!  I've slowed down.  I was averaging 40post per day now I'm down to a bit over 30Bucky

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 09:54
I said you had help.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 10:09

Big Grin

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 11:09
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Morning AllCoffee
Sorry Bud, but I'm not going to answer your question, and I suggest that you delete it. I know your kidding, buuut............................
It sounds like the problem is correcting itself. The stockholders are not going to watch their dividends shrink while corporate raiders come in and rob the coffers and destroy the company. This is not to say that you won't suffer in the meantime. You could wait about changing jobs and possibly come out quite well with the company, or they could still crap on you, it's a big gamble. You could consider another job and possibly relocating, and it sucks starting from the bottom again in a new job.
I saw an article on FOX News yesterday, that said there was a shortage of engineers, technichians, and tradesmen; so I'm sure you can find a job if your willing to move (which sucks too). Employers can't find qualified people in those fields, so you have an edge.

Morning Lynn!  Your right I should delete that but damn it I'm that mad!!!
AS for the stockholders doing anything I doubt it.  It is obvious from the chain of events that the corporate raiders obtained control of the board and the majority of the voting stock.  Thats how they pushed thru their huge raises.

As far as FOX's report I sure don't see a shortage of Techncians but the opposite.  Most electronics has become a throw away item.  With Desktop PCs for as little as $250 and laptops starting around $400 , that and their usually already obsolete by the time they get to the shelf....About the only expense electronics in consumer is big screen TVs and those prices have come way down in a very short period of time.  So it's either production testing...!!BORING and low pay!! defense contracting...been there, done that for 17+yrs. and no thanks...or a very few and hard to get R&D / Engineering Electronic Technician positions.  other than that it Field Service and road warrior time...done that too, no thanks.
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 80>
  Share Topic