OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield scopes
    Posted: August/29/2011 at 06:59
Does anyone here have any experience with the "new" Redfield line of scopes? This fall I will be setting-up a new hunting rifle for my youngest son. I learned a few lessons from setting-up my oldest son's rifle.....I went high-end on everything and needless to say, as a young hunter I watched him ding, scratch and fall a million times.

So this time around, I was considering a lower priced scope until my yougest isn't so hard on equipment and then we'll upgrade.

Any input on these scopes would be appreciated.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 07:55

Honestly I haven't gotten to handle one yet but have heard good reports on them.  I do like their specs.  If I was looking for an entry level scope they would definitely be on my list of scopes to check out.  That being said it seems there are always deals running on scopes that are in that price range or just a bit more that put you in a higher class of scope.  In other words more bang for your buck. The Vortex Viper 2-7x32 is such a scope.  The C3 reticle is really user friendly especially for new shooters.  It use to sell for close to $300 and compares with the VX-3 class of scopes.  Maybe you'd want to consider it.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:03
I used a 3-9 on a 17HMR for a few weeks and liked it pretty good.  Decent glass for the money
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:19
I agree that once again,

The Vortex Viper 2-7X32 fits the bill nicely here.
-Matt
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 15:03

I bought a 3-9x40  for my father for his Bday and mounted it on a rem 700sps 30-06. He is nothing more than a hunter and does not target shoot often. I would say that is a very ruggid hunting scope. The glass is good clicks are spot on. If your son may want to play with target or long range shooting check out the newly designed nikon prostaff. Now you are able to reset the turrents to zero which makes it nice for hunting or tartget shooting. They also gather more light than the previous model. I have one in 4-12x40 and I am conviced it is the best budget scope however I would not hesitate to buy the red feild again either especially for somone who is hard on their euipment. Its American made and tough!!!!!! If you think he would enjoy group shooting at 100+ yards I would go with the 4-12x40 so you will be able to see you bullet holes really well.

Dont take yourself to seriously
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 16:56
I have the 3-9x40 Redfield and found it a very rugged scope. It is priced accurately (not overpriced like some products). I don't know if the POA moves much during changes in magnification.
I have not checked that.

I am moving it onto a 7mmRM which is my loaner.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2011 at 20:14
Put one of the 4-12 accurange on a 223 bolt gun, came up with the MOA reference for the hold points on different magnifications and went and tested it.  Works pretty well for a $200 scope.

Mag- 300- 400- 500

4x- 5.27- 12.66- 20.62
5x- 4.855- 11.68- 19.02
6x- 4.50- 10.70- 17.42
7x- 4.115- 9.71- 15.82
8x- 3.73- 8.73- 14.22
9x- 3.345- 7.75- 12.62
10x- 2.96- 6.765- 11.02
11x- 2.575- 5.78- 9.42
12x- 2.19- 4.80- 7.82
danjojoUSMC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjojoUSMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2011 at 22:28
http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html

This was a very good comparison write-up not that long ago.
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be"

"Every part of life comes into focus just as you are about to pull the trigger."
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2011 at 11:09
I purchased a Redfield 2-7x33 some months back for use on my Mini-30 excellent scope very clear edge to edge made in same factory as Leupold  I suspect same scope only different finish. Found mine on sale for $129 difficult to beat price and quality wise.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2011 at 13:52
Keep in mind that the nikon prostaff in the write up posted is not the newly designed model. I have the new 4-12 on a sps tactical 308. Took mine out to 400 yrd yesterday. It took 6 moa to get me to 400yrd and It performed flawlessly, returned to zero. Just to play around I Also left on my 100yrd zero and used the bdc ret and it also was pretty darned close at 200,300,and 400.
This rifle is gonna be my deer killer this year. I have worked up a hunting load that consists of hornady brass, 150 gr nosler accubond, 45 grains of varget, and br2 primers. I shot several 3/4 inch groups which I am happy with out of a hunting rig.
Dont take yourself to seriously
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2011 at 10:37
i currently own both the redfield 3-9 and the viper 2-7.  the viper is more clear, has a more forgiving eyebox and the adjustment clicks are solid.  the clicks on the redfield are a little mushy.  the viper also has the ability to set zero, or whatever it's called, where you can pull the dials up and line up the zero lines, after you've made your adjustment.

i like the C3 reticle in teh viper a lot more than the accurange reticle in the redfield.  the viper is also a lot more clear and forgiving at max mag (7) than the redfield is (9).  IMHO, with the viper being about the same price as the redfield it's all around a better scope.  both have excellent warranties since redfield is produced and backed by leupy.

as someone else said on a different thread, at 150$ you're basically stealing the viper scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic