OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A different approach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A different approach
    Posted: August/27/2011 at 20:01
I have always picked a rifle then a scope to go with it.I thought this time it would be fun to get a scope first then pick a rifle that would be a good match for the scope.Rifle to be used for Deer hunting.My scope pick is the Leupold 6X42 FX 3.Any of you guys want to play? Give your suggestion and reasons you think it would be a good match.

I'm thinking Remington 700 or Winchester 70 with blued steel and good Walnut to go with this classic American scope but I am open to other suggestions.Another thing I hate is the LOP is usually too short for me on these rifles.I'm 6'4" tall. 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 20:07

Model 70 Featherweight

in .25-06 w/ scope in 1pc Talleys.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 21:46
I've read good things about the 25-06. Does it have any accuracy potential over the 270 or 7mm-08?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 07:18

My son's M70 XTR .25-06 shoots sub moa with 100gr Nosler SB's and 115gr Nosler Partitions. And yrs back I reloaded for a friends M77 Ruger that shot sub moa with 100gr Sierra's.  I believe the accuracy potential of a cartridge depends more on the firearm and the shooter than the cartridge itself.  That being said I'll stop short of saying that covers all cartridges because I not personally familiar with them all.
  Guess I could add that I've got a M70 Classic Fwt in .270 Win that shoots close enough to moa with 130gr Super-X ammo that I don't reload for it.  Also I don't use it all that much.

Edited by 300S&W - August/28/2011 at 08:20
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 10:33
Remington M7 CDL in .260 with Talley steel mounts.

Edited by tahqua - August/28/2011 at 10:35
Doug
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:13
That Leupy 6 X 42 FX3 is a great scope. Just to be different, why not stick it on a Ruger #1 (like the 1A in .257 Bob)? Very neat indeed. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:47
Tikka T3 stainless composite 300WSM  and pick the long range duplex reticle on the FX3 6x42.  That way you can step up your velocity a few hundred ft per sec and have it shoot flatter.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 22:12
Winchester model 70 in 25-06 sounds like a great fit.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:09
Daisy Red Ryder
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:48

OP didn't mention dangerous game,G.    Bucky
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 09:38
What are you going to use this rifle for? 

What is your length of pull?

That scope is well-suited to a lot of things.
-Matt
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 19:16
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

What are you going to use this rifle for? 

What is your length of pull?

That scope is well-suited to a lot of things.
I will mostly use it for Alabama Whitetails,though I hope for an Elk hunt in the distant future.It's not critical as I would possibly use my Model 70 7mm Rem Mag on Elk.I also have a Sako Finnlite 270.Mostly I would like a light weight low recoil rifle for the wife or children but that's more of the excuse than anything to buy myself another high end rifle.If I really wanted a kid gun I would get a cheap Savage 243.

I don't know my LOP but when I grip a model 700 there is about 2" between the butt plate and the crook of my elbow. Most rifles I shoulder feel like that Daisy.

I know the Leupold FX3 6x42 is well suited for a lot of rifles.I am thinking more along the lines of  aesthetics than practicality.I am leaning toward the Model 70 Feather weight in 243 for low recoil in a classic American rifle for a classic American scope.The 7mm-08 is on my list as well but I'm hesitant about the possibility of excess recoil in a light weight rifle with my wife using it.I'm also not sure the 6X42 is the best match for the Model 70 Feather weight. A 2-7 or 2.5-8X36 might better fitted to that rifle.
I would possibly go for a full size model 70 in 7mm-08,Model 700 CDL, or another Sako 75 in blue steel and nice Walnut, though the American scope seems somehow out of place in a Finnish rifle.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 19:58

Those Classic Fwt's aren't all that light.  Mine w/a factory McMillan stock (32oz) and a 3-10x40 Weaver GS scope goes 7 3/4lbs.  With a wood stock they could weigh a good bit more depending on wood density.  So I wouldn't count out that 7mm-08.
  And for a scope?

She'd LUV it. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 20:20
300's suggestion is spot on.  The 7-08 is a pussycat for recoil.  I have a Rem Model 7 in 7-08 with the mentioned Viper and everything about it looks and feels right.  My kids will use it when they are old enough to hunt.  The 6X42 would match a Model 7 or Model 70 FW beautifully as well.

The LOP will still be short for you.  You might want to find a stockmaker that does "big and tall" if you will be primarily using the rifle.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic