OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How do you clean your optics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 06:37
[/QUOTE]
Zeiss cleaning solution and a lint free wipe. (I have a lot of extra kim-wipes at work)
[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Kim-wipes contain wood fibers and that is a no-no when it comes to cleaning lenses.

And to the OP, I agree; I don't use lens pens just for the reason you stated. I had a few and they were sold at a yard sale. Too easy for crud to accumulate on the tip of the pen and then grind it into a lens. I guess YMMV.

ETA: corrected my spelling, it's been a long time since I've looked at a box.

Edited by Stud Duck - August/31/2011 at 06:14
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 08:36
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Zeiss cleaning solution and a lint free wipe. (I have a lot of extra kim-wipes at work)
[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Kim-wipes or chem-wipes contain wood fibers and that is a no-no when it comes to cleaning lenses.

And to the OP, I agree; I don't use lens pens just for the reason you stated. I had a few and they were sold at a yard sale. Too easy for crud to accumulate on the tip of the pen and then grind it into a lens. I guess YMMV.
[/QUOTE]

The guys in the lab use them on cameras and scanners and laser stuff. They come in multiple flavors.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 11:06
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

First, I use a lens bush to lightly "wisk" the lens. Then, I clean with the Zeiss lens cleaning wipe pads. 
?????????

??????????????????????????????? Is there something troubling with my technique????????????????????

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 11:29
Just that you use a bush...Instead of a brush.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 14:46
I shoot in a quarry that is crazy dusty. Every time I come home from shooting I take my air compressor and while the tank is filling and it has minimal preasure I blow off my gun along with my scope lense. You be surprised at how well this works. I will then use a lense cloth to finish her up but quite honestly the compressed air is usually sufficient unless it has water spots from rain.
Dont take yourself to seriously
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 16:21
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Just that you use a bush...Instead of a brush.

LOL, I never noticed that. There may be some potential there. Wink

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 06:22
I emailed Kimtech again to confirm what the Kimwipes are manufactured from. Like I said before, I'm going from memory, but I used to work in a lab and had access to the wipes. I was going to use them to clean my optics, but I done some research before using them; and again going from memory, the ones I inquired about contained wood fibers. Perhaps they make a type of wipe that doesn't contain wood fibers.

We used Kimwipes in the lab, but after one was used, we ran a bead of silicone oil down the side of the glass sample container and used a type of lint free cloth for HACH to fill in the minute scratches and swirl marks left behind from using the wipes. YMMV.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2011 at 10:31
Email response from Kimwipes;

Thank you for contacting Kimberly-Clark Corporation. 

The Kimwipes ingredients are all composed of 100% wood fibers. 

Depending on the use and application you may want to look at our Kimtech science wipers which are made of 100% virgin cellulose  fibers.  I have also attached a technical document for these products as well.

Below is a link to our website where you can obtain more details on the Kimtech Science line.

http://www.kcprofessional.com/us/product-details.asp?site=kcprofessional_com_us&client=kcprofessional_com_us&proxystylesheet=kcprofessional_com_us&output=xml_no_dtd&q=05511&search=v1&searchtext=05511&btnGo=Go

Have a nice day,

North America Customer Solutions Team (Jan-San Division)

*KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL*
Phone#: (888)346-4652

Email: KCPInfo@kcc.com

Website for Product Info: www.kcprofessional.com

Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image001.jpg@01C94A34.F154A160

Would the cellulose fibers be safe for optics?

Edited by Stud Duck - August/31/2011 at 12:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic