OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How do you clean your optics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you clean your optics?
    Posted: August/27/2011 at 18:19
What is the right way (and maybe just as important - the wrong way) to clean your optics?

I'm curious what the experts are doing both at home and in the field.  I want to be sure I'm using effective methods/products that won't damage anything.

If this is already covered in detail I'd appreciate a pointer.

Thanks!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 07:07
First, I use a lens bush to lightly "wisk" the lens. Then, I clean with the Zeiss lens cleaning wipe pads. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 08:14
lens pen works great
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 10:53
The lens pen works great and I always have one. I sometimes use a pre-moistened lens wipe if there are smudges on the lenses.
Doug
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:03
Check out http://www.opticstalk.com/cleaning-scope-lenses_topic25504_post357771.html

Edited by jonoMT - August/28/2011 at 11:04
Reaction time is a factor...
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:10
The compressed air that Jon mentions can come from something as simple as a bulb syringe. 
Doug
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:48
300-grit sand paper, then wet-sand to a smooth shine.

WRONG WAY!

Air to remove loose particulates, then lens paper with an purpose-made optics cleaning solution, always in circular motion, never with force.

And in the field: bulb brush to remove debris, then Zeiss pre-moistened lens paper.

The trick is not to get too aggressive.  Many people try to get that chemically sheen off the lens, only to find that they just stripped off the lens coatings.

In truth, the bulb brush does the overwhelming majority of the work, unless you are hunting in rain, then the lens paper plays more a part.

If you have a muzzle brake with holes on top, plan on removing lots of particulates from the objective.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 12:28

Wrong way – spit and wipe with shirt tail; I have seen it done.

The biggest mistake that I see is the scope (usually attached to the rifle and stored without lens covers so it accumulates an ungodly amount of dust.  Then cleaned by the above method.

dsr

Edited by dsr - August/28/2011 at 12:29
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 12:42
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you have a muzzle brake with holes on top, plan on removing lots of particulates from the objective.

Use camera lens filters (UV haze filter) to protect the objective lens from blow back from a muzzle break.  It is cheaper to replace a lens filter than an objective (or whole scope) and it is also easier to clean.

anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 13:54
Originally posted by bookworm bookworm wrote:

What is the right way (and maybe just as important - the wrong way) to clean your optics?

I'm curious what the experts are doing both at home and in the field.  I want to be sure I'm using effective methods/products that won't damage anything.

If this is already covered in detail I'd appreciate a pointer.

Thanks!

I asked the same thing a while back. After reading the links the folks here and watching a couple videos on you tube. I use common sense...

Air.
Water.
Zeiss cleaning solution and a lint free wipe. (I have a lot of extra kim-wipes at work)

On my elcheapo scopes I will flush with water, touch up spots with a qtip and call it good. Just don't want to touch the lens with any particles of whatever on it. Or use chemicals that would screw with the coating.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 14:15
spit+t-shirt on our acogs and comp M's

always worked but it was on the taxpayers dime
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 15:37
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

First, I use a lens bush to lightly "wisk" the lens. Then, I clean with the Zeiss lens cleaning wipe pads. 
?????????
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 16:33
Here we go-

- "my wife bought me a Hensoldt Zeiss and I know exactly what you mean when you say lens bush"...

KB probably thought he was the only one with a lens bush...

j/k remove if necessary I am in a mood today.  Just joking Mr. D
No one
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 16:55
Roll on Floor Laughing
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 17:55
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

spit+t-shirt on our acogs and comp M's

always worked but it was on the taxpayers dime

Very true, but you cared little for keeping expensive coatings intact.

In a pinch, shirt+spit: absolutely.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 19:43
yeah, if it was mine. it'd make my skin crawl
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 20:10
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Here we go-

- "my wife bought me a Hensoldt Zeiss and I know exactly what you mean when you say lens bush"...

KB probably thought he was the only one with a lens bush...

j/k remove if necessary I am in a mood today.  Just joking Mr. D

She also approved a Winchester 1885 in .300 H&H Magnum yesterday... 
I was going to pass and she said "you don't have one of those,  do you?" I said, "no".  She said... "then you probably need one"...  

So, I ordered it...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bookworm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 21:38
Thanks for the inputs.  I have a couple follow up questions...

Lens pens - everyone agree they are ok to use?  I'm always a little hesitant to rub that chamois on the lens for fear of a particle getting in between and scratching...but it does seem like a good quick tool for the field.

Scope Dope - anyone ever use this stuff for cleaning and anti-fog treatment?  I'm looking for anything that might help reduce the chance of fogging.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 22:39
I try to avoid cleaning as best I can. Use covers as much as possible.
Resist the temptation to mess with them.
If you must clean , blow, brush, then use a dedicated moistened lens pad from Zeiss or B&L as stated previously.
I have used a lens pen in the field but the lens pads are easily packable too. Use the brush on the pen, then the pad.
I am somewhat afraid to use anti-fog juices on high quality coated lenses.
Maybe someone has had good luck, I'm scared to do it without a good recommendation.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 06:23
http://www.opticstalk.com/topic3291.html

I felt I outlined the proceedure well in this thread from way back in '06.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic