OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need advice: Budget scope comparison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDMMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice: Budget scope comparison
    Posted: August/26/2011 at 18:35
After searching around this, and other, forums for a scope, I came up with a few options all in the same price range (which is limited at this point). Currently, I'm not looking to spend all that much on a scope, and in the future when I acquire more funds, I'll probably be looking into the Zeiss lens' (I'm a photographer, and Zeiss is what's up).

Unfortunately, most of my findings were from 2009-ish, so if there are some newer and better scopes for the same price that have been recently released, I'm open to suggestions.

Here is what I came up with:
Burris 3-9x40mm Fullfield II
Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40
Swift Premier Waterproof 3-9x40
Swift Premier 2-7x40mm
Swift 4-12x40mm Premier

My main uses would be for hunting (medium-larger game) and target practice, on a low EGW 20 (or 15, can't decide) MOA picatinny rail on a Remington 700 SPS. Not positive what rings I'll be using atm.

Thanks in advance for the help!
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 19:09
vortex 2-7
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 19:29
Bushnell elite.
CDMMA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDMMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 20:28
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

vortex 2-7

Thanks, seen a few suggestions for the Vortex lately, actually.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 20:34
+1 2-7 Viper.

It stomps all over the other scopes you listed.
-Matt
CDMMA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDMMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 20:56
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

+1 2-7 Viper.

It stomps all over the other scopes you listed.

lol, will definitely check it out then ;)
CDMMA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDMMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 01:15
I should also include the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40, for whatever reason, I thought it was over the same price of the other scopes.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 08:07

That Viper is still above all your considering.  We're talking VX-3 territory.  That scope sold for close to $300 at one time.  Mine replaced a VX-III I had.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 08:50
much better than the buckmaster, like 300 said, it's close to a vx3, maybe equal.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 09:46
I have 3 of the 2-7 Vipers, and they are a super bargain right now. I also have 3 of these.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-15-6x44-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41112.aspx

The glass on the Hawke is as good in my opinion and I like the dot.

Best of luck man.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 10:52
Get the Elite 4200 3-9x40 for $199.  Great glass, tough, and rainguard really works.  
CDMMA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDMMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 20:31
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

That Viper is still above all your considering.  We're talking VX-3 territory.  That scope sold for close to $300 at one time.  Mine replaced a VX-III I had.

Awesome, I'm looking at the 2-7 mentioned, and contemplating the 6.5-20x44 for $90 more. Not a bad deal :D

Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

much better than the buckmaster, like 300 said, it's close to a vx3, maybe equal.

Alright, you guys convinced me :p

Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I have 3 of the 2-7 Vipers, and they are a super bargain right now. I also have 3 of these.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-15-6x44-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41112.aspx

The glass on the Hawke is as good in my opinion and I like the dot. 

Best of luck man.

Nice, definitely going to go with the Viper then.

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Get the Elite 4200 3-9x40 for $199.  Great glass, tough, and rainguard really works.  

Good to hear, though I'll probably be going with the Viper. Not sure which one though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic