OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 1-8x24 Premier Heritage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 1-8x24 Premier Heritage
    Posted: August/26/2011 at 12:23

The 1.1-8x24 has been replaced by a 1-8x24. 

Key Features

• 1-pc 34mm main tube and high performance optics using Low Dispersion glass for optimal color correction and contrast

• True 1-8x with 8x-ratio wide/flat field-of-view (no tunneling)

• First Focal Plane illuminated reticle (3-8x) and Second Focal Plane Red Dot (1-3x).  Automatically switches when adjusting magnification

• Illumination Control with 9 settings (off between settings).  Low intensity for NVG and High for daylight illumination.  6 hour auto-shutoff.

• Long-ergonomic magnification adjustment-ring, suitable for AR-style mounting

• Slip-Knurl-Clutch (SKC) anti-drag dials, Elevation, Windage and Illumination.  Knurling is free-spinning in DOWN position.  To operate, simple lift UP to engage

• Single Turn elevation with zero-stop, providing 10mrad in one revolution

• Patent pending LeverLock for tool-less re-zeroing and zero-point retention.  Replaces set-screws which require a special wrench

Specifications 

Magnification:     1 - 8

Field of View @ 100yds (m):   119ft (36.3m) - 16ft (4.8m)

Exit Pupil:    10mm - 3.1mm

Eye Relief:    3.54" (90mm)

Light Transmission:    >90%

Length:    11.6" (295mm)

Weight:    24.7oz (700g)

Available Click values:    0.1mrad (CCW or CW)

Total internal adjustment:    130moa (38mrad)

Elevation Adjustment Range:    34moa (10mrad)

Windage Adjustment Range:    +/- 17moa (5mrad)

Objective Size (clear aperture):    24mm

Tube Diameter:    34mm

Side Focus/Parallax range:    200m

Diopter Range:    -3 to +2.5

Reticles:    Gen 2 CQB / Red dot

Waterproof:    33ft (10m)

Here is some info on the first model that has been discontinued and replaced with the new model above.

http://www.opticstalk.com/premier-heritage-118x24-are-on-the-way_topic26776.html

Edited by Chris Farris - August/26/2011 at 12:34
shooter25 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 20:14
You didn't post the price. I want it...
Have gun will travel...
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 21:25
That is a dream scope.
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 22:13
Fantastic glass & made in the good old USA Excellent

Any release date yet?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
P Henry View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Henry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2011 at 07:28
Any update on when this might be avaialble?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 00:00
I spoke to Paul @ Premier last week & he said maybe after the 2012 shot show.Price will be $3200 approx.so start saving your pennies Wink
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Plange View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 07:32
Hi Guys,
We are looking probably right around SHOT. Somewhere between the first of the year and SHOT for the production models. I will keep you informed if every now and then you want to drop me a line.
Thanks for your interest.
Paul
shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2011 at 18:25
Is the exit pupil at 1X really 10 mm? 
gglass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2011 at 23:11
I don't understand. Why did it take so long for some manufacturers to realize that a true 1X is the best for a CQB scope?

For both eyes open, anything more than 1X can be disorienting.

I'm glad that Premier finally got the message.
"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2011 at 11:22
Originally posted by shan2 shan2 wrote:

That's kind of an interesting but moot point (since the human eye can't really use more than about 7mm). But you'd think based on the normal formula of dividing the objective diameter by the magnification that it would be higher...as in 24mm. Even though it doesn't matter, it would be "illuminating" to hear the technical explanation for this.
Reaction time is a factor...
Hokie1850 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie1850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 08:34
2 lbs, yowza!  I'm sure it's nice though. 
shan2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 12:44
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

That's kind of an interesting but moot point (since the human eye can't really use more than about 7mm). But you'd think based on the normal formula of dividing the objective diameter by the magnification that it would be higher...as in 24mm. Even though it doesn't matter, it would be "illuminating" to hear the technical explanation for this.

The entire point of the 1X setting is rapid target acquisition at CQB distances.  For that, you need a pretty forgiving (i.e., large as possible) exit pupil diameter on the ocular.  That way, it won't matter if your eyeball is a little off center from the axis of the scope.  That's why Aimpoints and Eotechs are considered so fast.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 15:52

Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

The entire point of the 1X setting is rapid target acquisition at CQB distances.  For that, you need a pretty forgiving (i.e., large as possible) exit pupil diameter on the ocular.  That way, it won't matter if your eyeball is a little off center from the axis of the scope.  That's why Aimpoints and Eotechs are considered so fast.
I was only remarking on how, in general, that an exit pupil over 7mm is moot since that's about the most anyone can use. Of note: Leupold doesn't publish one for their 1.1-8. S&Bs is 9.6 max. I would still be curious to know what the technical reason is why an exit pupil on a magnication that low isn't closer to 20mm.
Plange View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 10:46
Hi Guys,
Since I only knew part of the answer to this question I went right to my buddy in Germany who is an optical engineer and asked him. I am just going to copy it verbatim as there is no way I could say it any better. Everytime I talk to this guy I get smarter. Paul
(PS: The question I asked him was the quickie calculation of exit pupil is basically obj dia/power, but as you can see that is not always the case).

So courtesy of David:

""The little tidbit you are missing is that exit pupil is not objective diameter divided by magnification, but effective entrance pupil divided by magnification. At high magnification, entrance pupil is usually identical with objective diameter, but that is not the case at lower powers in scopes with a high zoom ratio. Some designs with a more conservative 4x zoom ratio actually use the full objektive size even et low power, but none of the 5x or higher zoom scopes do as far as I know.

You can see what "entrance pupil" (or effective objective diameter) means if you look into the objective of one of our scopes at high and low power from a distance of let's say 20 feet. The bright circle inside the objective bell will appear smaller than the objective size at low power. This is even more pronounced in the 1-8x, which has an effective entrance pupil of ~10mm at 1x.

The reason for this effect is space constraints inside the tube, the lens diameters in the erector don't allow the full cone of light that would create a 24mm exit pupil at 1x to pass through. This is one of the tradeoffs in a design with such a high zoom factor, but we're still getting a larger exit pupil than the competition in the 1-8x, and in the 3-15x and 5-25x the exit pupil at low power is still plenty big also."
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 22:49
Originally posted by Hokie1850 Hokie1850 wrote:

2 lbs, yowza!  I'm sure it's nice though. 

I'm with Hokie on this. 2 pounds is quite a bit. I think it would preform very well for 3 gun participants.
But could be cumbersome carrying it all day.
Hokie, nice review on the SS 1-4 BTW.
I have read that more than once and refer people questioning what others thought.
You did a great job.

Plange View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 09:32
I must be missing something here. Are you saying our scope weighs in at 2 lbs? The unit I have weighs aprx 25 ozs- just one oz over 1.5 lbs. In scope terms that's a far cry from 2 lbs. Or am I missing something here?
The only way it is going to get lighter is to start making things less rugged. The tube thickness could be made less, we could go to a 30mm tube, we could lighten up the turrets by eliminating the tight clicks and use a simple ball and spring that tends to feel "mushy" etc. Optics are a give and take situation and since this scope is made for military use we don't feel that skimping on durability would be the way to go.
BUT if you guys have any suggestions please let me know and I will see if they can be incorporated into the final design.
Thanks,
Paul
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:01
Originally posted by Plange Plange wrote:

I must be missing something here. Are you saying our scope weighs in at 2 lbs? The unit I have weighs aprx 25 ozs- just one oz over 1.5 lbs. In scope terms that's a far cry from 2 lbs. Or am I missing something here?
The only way it is going to get lighter is to start making things less rugged. The tube thickness could be made less, we could go to a 30mm tube, we could lighten up the turrets by eliminating the tight clicks and use a simple ball and spring that tends to feel "mushy" etc. Optics are a give and take situation and since this scope is made for military use we don't feel that skimping on durability would be the way to go.
BUT if you guys have any suggestions please let me know and I will see if they can be incorporated into the final design.
Thanks,
Paul

I have a suggestion.

How about you send me one for extended T&E and I assure you I will come up with a whole list of wise-a$$ suggestions and other unsolicited commentary Devil

ILya

Plange View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:28
LOL, Ilya,
Hell I bet you don't even have any time to go out and play anymore- big family Man. Smile

Really though, I was just wondering where the 2 lbs came from. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. i thought maybe I missed something.

We are playing with it right now and I am sure Chris has a list of who gets one to play with. You know I am only the lowely QC man so I am always last to know.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 12:53
My time is indeed a little limited right now, but I do expect to start arranging a scope line-up for the next High End Tactical article fairly soon.  I figure that over the next couple of months I'll figure out what line-up I want with an expectation that I will start the tests in late December.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2011 at 13:40
Paul, thanks for getting that explanation from David. And of course, just to reiterate (or, in my case, re-idiotate), an ~10mm exit pupil is still more than plenty. It's also impressive that the 3.1 exit pupil on the high end is (slightly) larger than the off-the-cuff formula of objective/magnification.

As for the weight, I don't think 24.7 oz is that bad, especially considering the features of the scope. A NF 2.5-10X32 weighs in at 19.5 oz (with zero-stop) and is a less versatile scope with inferior glass, although it is quite rugged. I guess if you could go to 30mm on the tube and drop tool-less zero, you might save 2-3 oz, but would it be worth it or even possible? For argument's sake (ignoring any need to meet government contract specs), you could consider taking a tack similar to that with the Light Tactical.

I'm getting one of those in part because the weight is so much less than the 3-15 Heritage. I also don't need tool-less zero and can live w/o MTC clicks (as long as the clicks are still not mushy). My only criticism of the LT is the 6 mils per turn and that's a mild one. NF is only giving me 5 and for shots with a .308 out to 600, I only need ~4. That brings me to another point regarding the 1-8? Does it need 38 mils of total travel, especially when it will only accept 10 mils up from zero? I only ask because that might be a design factor that could allow going to a 30mm tube. But then I don't know all the weapons systems for which these are intended.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic