OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS vs. Nightforce vs. Ziess

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS vs. Nightforce vs. Ziess
    Posted: August/25/2011 at 17:56
What would be best for long range target shooting and hunting? I want something good in low light and what I've read on the HD SS is pretty good. The SS I've been looking at is the 5-20x50 and the others are comparable magnification and price. Need help. The gun is 325 WSM.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 19:34
I have compared the SS 5-20 head to head to the 6.5-20X50 Conquest and the SS beat the Conquest in every category.
Clarity
Much more adjustments for elevation and windage.
repeatability
better in low light
stronger 30 mm tube/1" on the Zeiss
FFP with mil/mil This allows you to use the mil dots for correction at any power level
SWFA warranty
and the best CS in the business. That's no BS.

Edited by 3_tens - August/25/2011 at 19:36
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Red View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2011 at 17:02
Has any one compared the SS to Nightforce?
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 21:05
Originally posted by Red Red wrote:

Has any one compared the SS to Nightforce?
I'd like know this one myself???

Edited by hunterwingler - August/27/2011 at 21:05
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 21:53
I have the SS 10X on a Loaded M1a, and a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on a M21.  Both have rung steel at 1000 yards, but honestly the Nightforce is much better.  Clarity and MOA adjustment are hard to beat on the NF.  I have no experience with the SS variable.
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2011 at 22:09
Now I've looked threw a few NF and wasn't impressed with the glass, I'd say the SS has better glass in my opinion
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 08:53
I currently own NF, SS, Leupold, and a Zeiss.  All have strong and weak points and I like them all, but the strongpoint on the NF is the clarity, especially out past 700 yards.  
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 09:20
The new SS 5-20x50 is the scope I am saving for. The glass, FFP, reticle, and illumination are all features that I want in a scope. I have never owned either of the other scopes, but I have been behind several NF at competitions and the glass never stunned me. IMHO the only thing NF has on the new SS is reticle selection, and that's only if you are interested in a M.O.A. type reticle (which I am not). Now don't get me wrong, The NF line has some very good scopes, but the only one that comes close to my requirements (FFP,mil-ret/mil-adjustments) is the 3.5-15 F1, and it cost $500 more than 5-20SS, with less mag...Both scope manufactures have excellent reputations for durability and Customer Service, but with SWFA, I believe that CS will definitely have a more personal touch.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 11:58
The SS 5-20 has better glass than any NF I've ever looked through. And although I love my NF 2.5-10X32, it felt a little shabby at the range after shooting with the SS 5-20. Some NF tactical scopes will have a few more bells and whistles - zero stop and somewhat better illumination. But most of us hardly need those features. (The 2.5-10 is an exception because zero stop is your only way of being able to reliably return to zero). This scope is well worth the $500-800 savings over any comparable NF.

You can favorably compare the SS 3-9 to something like the NF 2.5-10. There, my side-by-side comparison showed almost no difference in the glass. The NF a more refined design and better fit and finish. But it should for being $900 more! I wouldn't really look at any fixed scope for hunting unless I wanted to confine all my shooting to less than 300 yards (e.g. a 2.5 or 4X scope).
Reaction time is a factor...
Red View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 18:39
So is there a better scope for the money than the SS 5-20x50?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 18:45
Originally posted by Red Red wrote:

So is there a better scope for the money than the SS 5-20x50?
 For my money, NO!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 20:12
Not really, as long as you're considering that kind of magnification range. For a light, mountain hunting rifle I consider a relatively small scope like the NF 2.5-10X32 worth the same...but I still now wish the NF had better glass!
Reaction time is a factor...
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 21:09
Originally posted by 08Cayenne 08Cayenne wrote:

I have the SS 10X on a Loaded M1a, and a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on a M21.  Both have rung steel at 1000 yards, but honestly the Nightforce is much better.  Clarity and MOA adjustment are hard to beat on the NF.  I have no experience with the SS variable.

Which SS10x do you have? If it is the one for $300 then yes I would agree with you. But if it is the HD, or the 3-9 or the 5-20 then I would not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic