OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Not all wideview scopes are the same

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breadfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not all wideview scopes are the same
    Posted: August/25/2011 at 11:13
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum. I've been on a quest in the last few years to find the best, widest view scopes on the market. I guess this all started when I was a teenager, I had a Redfield 2-7x33 Low Profile and to me, that was the norm. The FOV was outstanding. As I got a little older I got away from that and used a 4-16x40 for many years. I was treestand hunting and not Stalking as I used to. Then I bought a 7mm-08 Mark V with a 20 bbl and I wanted to get back into stalking and back into the 2x scopes. I bought a Elite 2-7x32 through the mail without looking at it and was I surprised. The FOV wasn't much better than my old Tasco 3-9x40. I knew I couldn't deal with that so I sent it back. My four reasons for buying a wide FOV scope were to be this: 1. It must have a wide FOV. 2. It must perform in legal shooting light. 3. It must hold it's zero for hunting purposes, I didn't need it to be like a tacical and return to it's POI, I was going to set it and forget it. 4. Price. I started reading the specs of 2x scopes. To my Surprise, the biggest selling scopes had the smallest FOV's. I didn't understand this at all. Isn't the purpose of having a 2x scope to have the widest FOV possible? Was I the only one who scoured specs and made this the number one decision on buying this scope? So, I researched and researched for the widest FOV possible at the time. The first scope I settled on was the Swift  Premier 2-7x40. Not only did it have the widest FOV (60 ft @100 yds) it also had a 40mm objective lens, something I hadn't seen in any of the 2-7 scopes on the market. This scope holds zero (with my 7mm-08, not saying that it will hold with the really big magnums) and is visible and clear well past legal shooting hours. It has worked perfectly for me. Next, I wanted a scope for my 50 cal muzzle loader and i didn't have much to spend. After more research, I found an older Bushnell trophy 2-7x32 (now discontinued!) on ebay for 40.00 bucks. It has a FOV as wide as the Swift and does everything I need it to do. Matter of fact, I have killed more deer with this scope than the rest, many at very close range. the third scope I bought was the Bushnell legend 2-7x32 (also discontinued) and it's FOV is slightly smaller at 56 ft on 2x but it's hardly noticeable. This scope also functions flawlessly. This sits on my Weatherby VGL 20 bbl 30-06. I have had all of these long enough to evaluate them and all 3 are dependable and were not expensive. I have been looking for a 4th 2-7 for my Rem 788 7-mm-08 and i wanted to buy something a little retro, as this the gun i used when I was 15 to take my first deer stalking, at a mere 10 yards. It had a Redfield 2-7x33 Lo-pro on it a the time, but the gun was stolen. I got lucky and recovered the gun but the scope was gone. Now, almost thirty years later I am restoring it and when I saw the new Redfields, I was stoked. After reading the specs of the new 2-7x32, the FOV was no better than the rest of the big names, a mere 43 ft. I emailed them and asked why and they told me it was because you would have to sacrifice shorter eye relief to get a wider FOV. I didn't buy that answer since my others all had big FOV's and plenty of eye relief. So I read and found a thread on this site that said you can overcome this with a bigger ocular, and all of my scopes have this feature. I'm sorry this was a little long winded to be my first post but I really want to know what you all think. Are the big scope companies just doing this for reasons of cost, or do they just don't care and no one else notices like I have? I can tell you this, If I was going to spend big money, I would want the best in every department, not just how well it holds zero or how clear it is or holds up in low light.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 11:20
They were telling you the truth. If you increase FOV, you will lose some eye relief.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 11:22
Here you go.  This was my choice for my elk hunting gun.  75ft FOV

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P48352.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
breadfan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breadfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 11:25
Yes, but what they didn't say is that the eye relief isn't affected by a larger ocular. So it seems you can have the best of both worlds. Don't get me wrong, I really like all of the scopes I have, I'm just wondering if anyone is thinking like myself.
breadfan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breadfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 11:27
Here you go.  This was my choice for my elk hunting gun.  75ft FOV

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P48352.aspx

Wow, that is sweet, and a bunch of change.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic