OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300WBY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300WBY
    Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:01

A buddy sent my his wetherby , 300WBY for a little "tune" up.
 I went thru and did a trigger job and some bolt work to get his safty working again. I also polished the chamber and hand lapped the barrel and bedded the recoil lug. he sent the brass and 208Amax's for a little load testing. I loaded up 3 loads and let her rip at 100 yards.

The first load was 208Amax 83gr of retumbo with a CCI mag primer norma brass. This was a 5 shot group

This was a load of 84gr of retumbo, cci mag and norma brass and 208amaxs

This was 85gr retumbo cci mag norma brass and 208 amaxs

all groups were .5 @ 100 yards.

This is the second group of 83gr retumbo. I yanked the bottom shot, or I think I did I had my eyes closed.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:06
Do you guarantee those results from every rifle you work on????
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:11

BUT Weatherby cartridges aren't suppose to be accurate?   Loco

GOOD work,Bd!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:11
GEEZ!! Were you shooting it left handed?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:14
Good Job BD, looks like you earned your money on that one.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:18
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Do you guarantee those results from every rifle you work on????
I would like to say yes, But I have had 1 rifle I couldn't get to shoot. It got rebarreled. Now it shoots.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:28

MK V  or Vanguard?
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:28
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

GOOD work,Bd!!
YEAH!! Stupid Wby calibers.......Too much freebore, Radiused shoulders.......They never shoot worth a darn.Bucky

With the exception of every one I've owned. Must be the rest of them that are junk.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:33
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

GOOD work,Bd!!
YEAH!! Stupid Wby calibers.......Too much freebore, Radiused shoulders.......They never shoot worth a darn.Bucky

With the exception of every one I've owned. Must be the rest of them that are junk.
Yea, you always get the best ones...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:48

MK V  or Vanguard?
MK V

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:51
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

GOOD work,Bd!!

Yea, you always get the best ones...

Coulda had my S&W rechambered to .300 Weatherby back in '85 BUT.....................they didn't shoot worth a hoot back then either.  Big Grin

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 07:53
Bucky

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 08:01

Yea,I know.  LOL
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 08:51
Wow! Great work BD, I'm sure you made a customer and friend for life.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 09:10

GOOD work,Bd!!

+1
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/25/2011 at 09:18
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Good Job BD, looks like you earned your money on that one.
BWAHAHAHA!!!! That's funny stuff right there......... Oh, I better go get to work.Big Smile

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2011 at 07:15
Well, I'm in possesion of said .300 Wby now. At first I struggled a bit to get it to shoot like Brandon said it would. I figured I must be doing something wrong. As it turns out, our scales must read different, or the elevation and conditions changed the load data or something. While I've not quite matched Brandon's 5 shot groups yet, I'm getting the load nailed down now. Last 3 shot group I fired measured .310"! At first the GREATLY improved trigger caught me off guard, and I had to teach myself how to shoot it again. I've cleaned it once, and I must say, whatever magic he works on barrels really works! I've never had a barrel clean so easily in my life. After about 70 rounds down the tube, I ran a couple soaked patches through it, and brushed it a few times. Then I ran another soaked patch through to see what I got out.... Very little. There was hardly any color on it from copper. I can see myself shooting this thing many many rounds without cleaning from here on out. My hat's off to Brandon! He is a great guy, amazing to deal with, and "dose" a VERY nice job. Thank You Brandon!!

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 06:32
Thanks man, I'm glad your Happy with what was done to that rifle.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 06:50
Good job there.

What speeds to you get?

The other day at the range some guys were shooting a 300Wthby and feeling good with 2600ft per sec.
I suggested they should rather shoot a 308Win or something, they are wasting the Wby's potential. Should be around 3000 ft per sec???
They gawked and could not believe it.

Edited by 8shots - September/19/2011 at 06:51
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2011 at 08:33
2900 to 2950 with the 208's is what he should be pushing with very little presure, but it all depends on the rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic