OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

compact..????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JARHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compact..????
    Posted: January/23/2006 at 14:57

HEY, I JUST BOUGHT A NEW TIKKA T3 LIGHT,..IN 243.FOR DEER HUNTIN.....AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A COMPACT VAR. SCOPE  FOR IT????......ONE OF THE REASONS I BOUGHT THE RIFLE WAS  BECOUSE IT WEIGHTS LES THAN 6 LBS......SO I WANT A LIGHTWEIGHT  SCOPE FOR IT........THANKS, ALOT,........HOOOORA.....

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 15:25
Originally posted by JARHEAD JARHEAD wrote:

HEY, I JUST BOUGHT A NEW TIKKA T3 LIGHT,..IN 243.FOR DEER HUNTIN.....AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE I CAN GET A COMPACT VAR. SCOPE  FOR IT????......ONE OF THE REASONS I BOUGHT THE RIFLE WAS  BECOUSE IT WEIGHTS LES THAN 6 LBS......SO I WANT A LIGHTWEIGHT  SCOPE FOR IT........THANKS, ALOT,........HOOOORA.....

Welcome to the OT.

As far as "where" you may obtain the scope is simpler than the "what".

Get it right here at SWFA, brother.

The "lightweight and compact" scopes are probably going to be named Leupold.

Maybe Burris.

Any reticle or power preferences??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JARHEAD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JARHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 15:36
I  WAS THINKIN LIKE,......3X9.????....WHAT DO U THINK????
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 15:43

Originally posted by JARHEAD JARHEAD wrote:

I  WAS THINKIN LIKE,......3X9.????....WHAT DO U THINK????

Excellent choice for a .243 deer hunting rig.....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bill47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 16:35
What range?  Open or heavy cover?
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 16:48

How much do you want to spend? 

ranburr

JARHEAD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JARHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2006 at 20:25

AS FAR AS RANGE.???........WELL,..I WAS THINKIN MABE SHOOTIN   WOOD CHUCKS IN THE SUMMER,...AND,...DEER IN THE  FALL............AS, FAR AS PRICE GOES,.......I'M ON A LIMITED INCOME        SO,..I'M GONNA HAVE TO BE THRIFTY ON THIS ONE.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2006 at 10:59

A dollar amount you are willing to spend would be helpful.

There are a lot of good scopes out there and you can get very respectable performance out of a lot of scopes starting from about $200 and up.

If you are on a budget I would suggest sticking with something along the lines of a 3-9x40.  That's where you get the most for your money. As for compact scopes, I would not worry about it too much.  Most 3-9x40 with 1" tube scopes are small enough not to affect the balance of the rifle a whole lot.  You might be able to save 3-4 ounces by going to a Burris or Leupold compact, but there is often a performance penalty that comes with smalle objective lens size and narrower field of view.

The best bang for the buck, IMO, is in SIghtron S2 and Weaver Grand Slam lines. 

Sightron S2 3-9x42 can be had for just under $200.  Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 is right around $250. 

If you like holdover reticles you can also look at Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex for right around $200.  It is slightly worse optically than S2 and Grand Slam, but has a more interesting reticle design.

There are certainly cheaper scopes out there, but they come with a noticeable tradeoff in optical performance and often, in durability.

ILya

JARHEAD View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JARHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2006 at 12:27
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP...........
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 06:25

Some of the lightest varable scopes for the money for the 2.5-8 and the 3.5-10 Leupold. Don't know if that fits your buget, but a quality scope shouldbe considered a lifetime investment. If weight is you main concern, get the 2.5-8x36 Leupold VXlll.

P.S. In the corps, there used to be a saying- " we can't make you do anything you don't want to do, but we can sure make you wish you had!!!   Semper Fi

Edited by Roy Finn
BillD1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2006 at 16:41
Hello Jarhead,

I have intentions on buying a Tikka T3 or another short action light rifle in 7-08.  I favor Koskin's suggestions, I have a Sightron SII 3-9x42 and it is light and a very bright scope, and would be perfect on a short action rifle. 
Bill D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic