OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sig556R vs Sig 556 Patrol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sig556R vs Sig 556 Patrol
    Posted: August/21/2011 at 09:24
Ok, so have seen some mixed reviews on these, but after owning some AKs, I like the piston vs DI gas.  With that said, I have also liked the AK round in forms of affordability, ballistics, penetration etc, but understand a bit more recoil and possibly less accuracy.

So if you were going to spend 1,000 on either, for a rifle that could be catergorized as a SHTF weap or back up weap, what would it be?  I like the built in optics rail with piston...so these seem best of both worlds.  Understand neither have chrome lining but they claim another process that is just as good if not superior to corrosion protection.

I have an Aresenal SGL21 and a WASR 10/63 and a few different ARS. 

So id like to hear arguments for the 7.62 or the 5.56 and why....thanks
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:13
What do you anticipate YOUR SHTF scenario would be? Protecting your dwelling from zombies/looters?
Protecting dwelling/property from Zulu/Lima's? Wink  

5.56 is going to allow you to protect the confides of the house and your homes immediate "perimeter", I would think. For CQB, the 5.56 will work, if you can't reach the shot gun.   

If you foresee providing over watch from the roof, while wife gets the laundry off the line, then by all means, go with .308.
Big Grin 

Everybody needs a 5.56 for the Apocalypse. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

What do you anticipate YOUR SHTF scenario would be? Protecting your dwelling from zombies/looters?
Protecting dwelling/property from Zulu/Lima's? Wink  

5.56 is going to allow you to protect the confides of the house and your homes immediate "perimeter", I would think. For CQB, the 5.56 will work, if you can't reach the shot gun.   

If you foresee providing over watch from the roof, while wife gets the laundry off the line, then by all means, go with .308.
Big Grin 

Everybody needs a 5.56 for the Apocalypse. 
I have a 5.56 that will be only use if the Penut Butter dosn't work on gobing up the mouths of the Zombies during an attac to where they are not able to eat my brains. Gota save ammo for those SHTF folks who are going to be wondering around with to much gear and not enough water or ammo. U will notice them, They will be thirsty and all there gear will still have the tags on it.

5.56 they only way to go. You can use dead peoples ammo as more SHTF folks have 5.56's than .308.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:29
7.62x39 is everywhere though.....didnt stock peanut butter yet but will get some.......

Also, I wouldnt be covering the wife, would be crossing fingers :)  jk

Have read more positive reviews on the functioning of the 556, but i do like the ak 7.62x39....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 10:35
As bad as I hate the "crap where they eat" DI AR, they will be more plentiful than the pistons and easier to get parts for, or trade peanut butter for. Bandito

Edited by cheaptrick - August/21/2011 at 10:36
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 11:06
I vote for the 5.56, simply because "You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight". I believe the AK, and its ammo is greatly over-rated. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 11:17
I despise an AK.
Their street cred, though probably deserved, be damned. 

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 11:29
How any American can buy the AK or anything close to it, is a damn traitor in my book. Sharp Shooter

I don't care if it's even built here in the US, it's just plain wrong. That gun was designed to kill Americans.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 12:05
I'd like to see some combat vets weigh in on this subject, like KB, Rancid and Sgt. D. 
(No Coastie vets need comment though.) Big Grin

Edited by cheaptrick - August/21/2011 at 12:06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2011 at 12:11
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Gota save ammo for those SHTF folks who are going to be wondering around with to much gear and not enough water or ammo. U will notice them, They will be thirsty and all there gear will still have the tags on it.

Hahaha....yeah, but by golly those wandering dudes will have AR's that have BUIS "cowitness" with their wiz bang optics though. Bet your boots on that, Podnah. Laugh
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2011 at 21:48
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

How any American can buy the AK or anything close to it, is a damn traitor in my book. Sharp Shooter

I don't care if it's even built here in the US, it's just plain wrong. That gun was designed to kill Americans.

I understand what you're saying, but,

The more WE have the less THEY have.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 07:57

I don't think an American is literally a traitor but i guess it just bugs me, when just about any enemy the US has ever fought since Korea has used the AK to kill our guys. I watched on our low level flights into some very rough areas of Iraq/Afghanistan as towel heads fired their dinky AK's. Our 130's were hit more than once. And as a loadmaster all you can do is call out fire and directions to the pilot lol. It's not like you can stick a rifle out the troop door and fire back.

I personally would never own one, but i won't hold it against anyone who's on my side if/when the time comes to fight here.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 08:18
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but,

The more WE have the less THEY have.

They're kind of like Lay's motto: Don't worry, we'll make more. Buying them will just inspire every tinshed gunsmith from Peshwar to La Paz to keep churning them out.

Back to the O.P. I'd consider just refining, upgrading or otherwise improving your existing ARs. The Sigs are not that great...unless you can get your hands on a Swiss-made 550 or 552!
Reaction time is a factor...
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 10:18

by this logic Americans should also not buy Japanese cars, because they bombed Pearl Harbor... or anything made in Germany, because the Nazzi's killed thousands of Americans and millions of others.

the AK, like the AR, like the Uzi, like the Colt Peacemaker is just a tool.  Just because this tool was made by our one-time enemy, doesn't mean you can't use it.  If some NATO country had folded and there had been millions of M-16's laying around, waiting to be sold to every third world "freedom fighter" would we then be traitors for using them as well?
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 11:35
If you read my follow up post (last one on page 1) you'd see i don't literally think you're a traitor or anyone else who has an AK for that matter. I simply will not own one. Personal preference as i think they're only prop is durability and i've never, not once had a failure to fire, or eject etc with any AR or American made weapon.

And like i've said on my last post as well, when you've seen people trying to kill you with them it makes a decision not to own them a little bit easier.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2011 at 16:57

I personally would never own one, but i won't hold it against anyone who's on my side if/when the time comes to fight here.

If you make it to my house when the SHTF I have 3 ARs and 2 AKs.
I have a nice BCM you can use till we run out of 5.56 and have to break out the Hungarians.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 08:59
Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

If you make it to my house when the SHTF I have 3 ARs and 2 AKs.
I have a nice BCM you can use till we run out of 5.56 and have to break out the Hungarians.

Lol, hope she is treating you well! Getting pretty close to having the cash to build a replacement.

Hell, i'd love to come out to Wyoming for elk and deer one of these days! It's one thing on my to do list that will be accomplished. Absolutely gorgeous country out there.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2011 at 09:05
55 Gallons of penutbutter, nuff said. Nothing like 100's of zombies running around with gobed up brain suckers.

Oh, I just thought of something, someone needs to invent a penut butter helment.. You know for "home protection".

if it really came down to it, use what you can find.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2011 at 21:41
Well for what its worth ordered the 556 Patrol Swat.  If its worth a crap, will order the 7.62 model as well.  I ll let you know when I get it if anyone is interested.
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2011 at 21:17
You bet!
A review, range report, and pics are mandatory.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic